Another Ryobi video

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OOooohh...duh... :) now I'll have to see if there is one near me.

Jay

Picked me up a Ryobi splitter today. Works pretty damn good.
Couple stringy ones it wouldn't split. Wouldn't split the 36"er either ;)
Guess I'll have to let those dry a lil and break out the maul.
Works good for the price, can't go wrong.

So Hogwildz the Ryobi worked well. Is it as good as you thought it would be? I'm going to have do spmething soon some of the wood I can splitt with a maul some just not do any thing.What happen when it did not splitt the log. Did it just stop and did not go any futher. I've been waiting to see if you got one and if you were happy with it.

Paule

Just my luck...... I finally found one at a HD it was the last one in stock, it was sitting on a shelf about 6 feet up in the air, one of the HD employees climbed up on the ladder to retrieve it, and I guess he under estimated the weight of it, because he couldn't hang on to it and it dropped and hit the floor hard. My search for one Continues!!!.

Yea, they're not really that "Light".

I finally finished my pile. There were a total of 3 rounds it couldn't split. And those were from the part of the tree that had 5 bizillion branches coming out. I ended up using my wedge to rip them apart, and even then it took me the better part of an hour. Those pieces were TOUGH!!!

But I can now say, that for my general use and for the type of wood I get, this thing is mint!!

I know of three in the NYC area, if you want a road trip! I think I'm going to wait for my xmas bonus and then buy one... I gather they don't ever go "on sale".

Jay

For those who live near MA and a Grossman's Bargin Outlet, sign up for a charge card and the 6 hp Iron Horse splitter can be had for $260
One will appreciate the 50% more splitting capacity. If one needs one and is willing Maybe I can pick one up and hold it for you.
It has the same deck size as the Ryobi and about the same splitting capacity but 6 hp. One of out other members bought it upon my review and is
completely satisfied..

Home Depot Credit return is 90 days witha receit

Hmmm, Grossman's has stores in NY state too, closer than MA for me... sheesh, more options... Do you have a mfgr website or anything, all my google searchs seem to pick up Hearth.com threads!

Jay

No web site but 30 day money back policy with receit , if un happy Go back into the tool room and do the Iron horse search and read the reviews.
I may have posted it in the Hearth room first ? One post I included a link or picture

they have store locations in MA Ny and Ohio to find the nearest on to you here is the link

http://www.bargain-outlets.com/locations.php

johnsopi said:
So Hogwildz the Ryobi worked well. Is it as good as you thought it would be? I'm going to have do spmething soon some of the wood I can splitt with a maul some just not do any thing.What happen when it did not splitt the log. Did it just stop and did not go any futher. I've been waiting to see if you got one and if you were happy with it.

Paule

I am completely satisfied with it. I did not buy it with unreal expectations. The log it would not split, first off is greener than green LOL. It would push it about 1/2" onto the wedge then stop and not go any further. It appears to have a safety mechanism to keep the motor from overheating, cause the motor if I remember correctly cuts out.I Tried to cycle it several times to work through it, and it didn't work on that one. On another note, I had a cut with several crotches on it. It took a lil while and some strategic placements, but did get that sucker split. Just took a lil while. To test it, LOL I put a 1/2 of a 36" cut on it, and tried, but that didn't work. I bet if these were seasoned and dryer, that it might split them. I also tried a few I couldn't get with the maul, and it split those suckers like butter. All in all, giving I came in with realistic expectations, and it is faster, I am very satisfied with this splitter. I am tall, and my back being not the greatest, it did hurt my back some. But as with everything, I will devise a system that works for me. Prolly coax the OL into operating the controls and me lifting & steadying the cuts.
I used to use a "susper split" when I worked for a landscaping/ firewood company in my younger years. It was a counterweight gear driven mechanical shaft. No hydraulics. By far the fastest, easiest splitter ever made IMHO. One "t" handle on top pull it up, the arm drives out splits, let "t" handle go, self returns. Fast.
The rod would extent out fully in about 2 seconds. return even faster. They are expensive though. I got to use it since my old boss was a dealer for them.
For what I have and need to use it for. The Ryobi price wise & performance wise, is just fine. Now I just need a generator to take it out to the barn so I don't have to cut & split here at the house and then transport to the barn. I like to get away from the house though. The barn is about 500-600 feet down the driveway, so its a il break from the chaotic family here. Spent all day there yesterday, cleaning her all out to get ready for wood. Was quiet, serene and in the middle of the woods...... Its just heaven.
Just need electric there for a lil fridge full of beer ;)

Greg123 said:
Just my luck...... I finally found one at a HD it was the last one in stock, it was sitting on a shelf about 6 feet up in the air, one of the HD employees climbed up on the ladder to retrieve it, and I guess he under estimated the weight of it, because he couldn't hang on to it and it dropped and hit the floor hard. My search for one Continues!!!.

Oh bro, thats when you plug it in there, if it works, you deal for 25% off, and still get a full warranty for it. Did that with a water heater here, and saved $100.00

Too bad I was not on comission. My review has sold a lot of these electric splitters What I like about them plug them in split for a while then go back and split again for a while
Hint take a can of pam or silcone and spray the splitting wedge one quick shot before you start . You will notice the difference . Another thing I did was to make a platform and ramp with milk cases roll the bigger logs up to the splitter.

The pam does help alot, on mine I also cleaned all the paint off the wedge and then polished it to a mirror finish, this helped even more.

Well I happy with mine. Having a 2nd sets hands to work the controls is a big plus. Gloves and safety shoes are a plus. I'm splitting mostly Sweet gum which is stringy so a hand ax is a big help to finish the pieces off with. It is a big help over all. I've been covering it with a tarp and leaving it out hope this won't hurt it

johnsopi said:
Well I happy with mine. Having a 2nd sets hands to work the controls is a big plus. Gloves and safety shoes are a plus. I'm splitting mostly Sweet gum which is stringy so a hand ax is a big help to finish the pieces off with. It is a big help over all. I've been covering it with a tarp and leaving it out hope this won't hurt it
Congrats, its worht the price IMHO. I wouldn't leqve mine out to long. It is electrical and moisture can't be good for that. Plus I would suggest some kind of spray lube or coating on any bare metal there may be, won't take long for surface rust to accumilate there. But if used enough any splitting areas will come clean while splitting.

I'm leaving it out covered just while I'm using it. Splitt @ 4 full cords this week. The boys are stacking
as I splitt. It should be inside by Friday. Then it back to cutting and hauling. I have about 10-15 more truck loads left to get from this place. Then back to splitting. I thought that 20 P/U loads would be more 4 or 5 cords
but geuss not. It looked like a lot spread out on the yard.

johnsopi said:
I'm leaving it out covered just while I'm using it. Splitt @ 4 full cords this week. The boys are stacking
as I splitt. It should be inside by Friday. Then it back to cutting and hauling. I have about 10-15 more truck loads left to get from this place. Then back to splitting. I thought that 20 P/U loads would be more 4 or 5 cords
but geuss not. It looked like a lot spread out on the yard.

It should be ok if thats the case. Not like your leaving it out all winter long.
If the wood is free, free is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No matter how much it is.

Well, while I was out in the catskills hiking, I stopped by the Grossman's in Kingston on the way home and picked it up (the Iron Horse 6 Ton) for $290 including tax by signing up for the credit card (10% off) so I put it together late today but as it's new year's eve, I didn't have a chance to play. The thing is heavy and looks tough, I'll have to see how good the 6 Ton rating is and the 3HP motor. The Ryobi is listed as a 1.75HP motor...

I'll post something when I get a chance to play..

Jay

How many amps does a 3hp electric motor draw? I'm thinking something like 30-45? Can it be wired to 220?

Matt and around the corner from Grossmans

I measured the amps on my HF unit which says 2 hp and 10 amps on the nameplate and got about 11 amps under heavy load. Inrush current on startup was, like, 17 amps, but I don't know if that brief overcurrent trips a breaker (mine is 20 amps though anyway).

I don't recall the (Iron Horse) box labelling the amperage and I'll have to check the unit itself/manual but it did come with a 20ft 14-gauge cord.

I wonder about the HP ratings, is there a peak rating and a continuous rating thing going on here?

Jay

p.s. thread may be getting confusing with the mixing of electric splitters, seems there is a Ryobi one, a HF one, and an Iron Horse one running around...

OK, the panel on the Iron Horse says

IN: 19.5 Amps

and it comes with a 20ft 14-gauge standard 3 prong cord....

Jay

wahoowad said:
Yes, wrenchmonster, I had considered that. I don't have a generator but this would be a good excuse to get one. I figure I can get a decent 120V generator and the Ryobi for much less than a $1300 gas log splitter. Then I'd have a generator to boot.

You can get el-cheapo generators at harbor freight for $189 - $400

Status
Not open for further replies.