Another Ryobi video

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I have spent the past few weeks putting the Ryobi through it's paces and it is definately a keeper. Here's a quick video of it turning a decent sized oak log into splits for next year. Turn the sound up for the crunch!

http://media.putfile.com/Ryobi-video

Very impressive! Looks alot easier then my method. I was swinging an 8lb maul for about 4 hours today. Just glad that red oak splits fairly easily. You guys are really tempting me to put that on my X-mas list. KD

Ryobi in Action?
From the looks from the log being split, I was able to deturmine that it had not sat out and was not seasoned. Also the log did not have any knots on it.Being some what of a veteran at using splitter, I would not be inclined to purchase this product. A 12-16 ton gas engine is more reasonable choice.Also, what if you wanted to split out in the wood lot?No electricity available will make your day. A 5-7 hp gas engine should do the trick and will last for many years.
A freshly cut log will split relativly easy as I did this for many years growing old in Oneida county NY. Ken

Looks good - electric is tempting for many reasons - unless you are using something on a regular basis, dealing with the oil, gas, plugs, etc. can be a pain - same with the smell and the noise. An inverter would probably power it from a car in the woods for the occassional use, but most people don't split in the woods.
Elk speaks highly of this device - and he's quite experienced.

It always depends on exactly what you need - the right tool for the job!

Nice video. I especially like the 'shake' of the camera as the log crashed down for effect!'
This is probably a debate that will go on and on. I've said my arguments in other threads as to why I think a good electric splitter is perfect for many users, including myself, and I have more than my share of gas powered equipment (at least 10 devices) so I'm not gonna repeat everything here.

I think it's funny though. I also have a truck with a plow and am a member on a snowplow forum (www.plowsite.com) which has a very similar never-ending argument. The argument is whether or not those 'Snow Bear' plows you see in places like Home Depot, Sams Club, etc are worth anything. The few people that had them would constantly get bashed even though they said they did a fantastic job doing their driveway (and thats all they needed them for). Well as time went on, more and more people got them, liked them, and they have gained some acceptance. They actually gave them their own sub forum now for 'personal snow removal'.

Like Craig said, the right tool for the job!

Ken said:
Ryobi in Action?
From the looks from the log being split, I was able to deturmine that it had not sat out and was not seasoned. Also the log did not have any knots on it.Being some what of a veteran at using splitter, I would not be inclined to purchase this product. A 12-16 ton gas engine is more reasonable choice.Also, what if you wanted to split out in the wood lot?No electricity available will make your day. A 5-7 hp gas engine should do the trick and will last for many years.
A freshly cut log will split relativly easy as I did this for many years growing old in Oneida county NY. Ken

Hi Ken,

As an engineer, I guess I'd have to disagree with you. Yes, the wood may be green (and therefore splits easier) but it went through that huge log like a knife through butter and, it was very fast....so...my guess it that it would easily handle dryer wood and some knots. Also, I like the idea of an electric version (don't have one yet) because, as Web said, most people split wood at home where power is abundant. Also, less to worry about with noisy engines, fuel, lubricants, etc...

wahoowad said:
I have spent the past few weeks putting the Ryobi through it's paces and it is definately a keeper. Here's a quick video of it turning a decent sized oak log into splits for next year. Turn the sound up for the crunch!

Click here to watch Ryobi-in-action

Nice splitter. Mind if I ask the model number, approx price range and max log size it will split?

To me, the guts of these mini splitters look similar. I like the frame on the Harbor Freight model because I think it makes it more robust. For example, I put a hand truck's edge under the frame and then can easily move it around.

SOLD!!

Wahoo, you should get a comission from RYOBI. Your vid sealed the deal for me. $299 at HOME DEPOT, and I believe if you open a credit card, you get 10% off your first purchase..

$299 - 10% = $269.10

plus tax (7%) $18.84

$287.94

That's a steal, plus it's quiet, and no oil or gas, and since I scrounge all my wood off the curb,it should suit my needs perfectly.

I will own one on wed!

Bob

Pic of HF unit:

Attachments

• 93815.gif
    93815.gif
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,016
castiron, it's the Ryobi 4-ton electric. Plenty of previous threads on this board about it and similar splitters. Just search on Ryobi.

I agree the guts look the same on many of them. The Ryobi was the only one I could see in person before buying. It appears well made and well finished. Nothing cheesy like with a lot of 'chinese' power tools. Any are probably worth getting provided you can take it home and try it out, then take it back if it breaks.

I thought that was an impressive log for a small splitter. There's bigger, but I'm not lifting them into my truck!

I bought it today! and it only took 1 hour to round up an employee that could find it!

After being well PO'd, waiting for 3 employees to figure out where they were now keeping them, they found 2.. 1 had a leak, and I took the other one..

Got it home, and it works great!!

Ken said:
Ryobi in Action?

A power inverter or a generator would allow someone to haul the Ryobi out into the woods.

Yes, wrenchmonster, I had considered that. I don't have a generator but this would be a good excuse to get one. I figure I can get a decent 120V generator and the Ryobi for much less than a $1300 gas log splitter. Then I'd have a generator to boot.

Well after reading all the good reviews on the ryobi I went and bought one, I have to say this thing works great! put some freshly cut down elm on it and splits most all of it, even rounds up to 14-16 in. On the bigger stuff I just take slabs off and work my way around till it gets small enough and then split it, best 300 bucks I've spent in a long time.

Is it as the good everyone saying?whats the return policy at H.D if your not satisfied.

Paul

I believe HD is 30 day. But I would be willing to bet that you won't be returning it. I've now used mine for the better part of 3 months and it works great!!! Granted, there are some pieces that it can't get through, but they are usually VERY stringy and have very imbedded crotches. The key is identifying the parts that will split the easiest, the same you would do with a maul.

I like using the splitter over hand splitting due to the fact that I can split alot faster and more consistantly. Plus, I have lower back pain that flares up when I do alot of hand splitting. I split about 1/2 a cord yesterday in about 30 min. That's with some pieces that were alittle challanging.

At $300 it's a really good alternative to the more expensive gas powered splitters. There are a couple other manufacturers out there, but they Ryobi has gotten the best reviews. I know Elk has a RamSplitter, which is 12-16 ton, but it will run you alittle more cash.

I can give the VelvetFoot seal of approval on the Harbor Freight electric model as well.
What is cool is that you can use them inside the garage.

It would be so much easier to own one rather then renting one from the rental place and having to rush to get it back I will have to wait any way will splitt by hand for a while.

Looking at the splitter, it is horizontal only, which means that you have to pick up the round and place it on the splitter. Is this difficult with one person?

Has anybody eactually built a Jig to assist. One of the complains I saw on the websites is that since it's low to the ground, you have to bend over to operate it so some have simply put it on a sturdy table. This means that I would have to lift the round that much higher... Has anybody thought about building a complete rig with ramp and a recessed....ummm "pit" to put the splitter in, so a single person could use it? Or is this silly since the maximum length/diameter the Ryobi can split is supposedly 20" long/12" diameter? I have never used a splitter before so this is all new to me...

Jay

I sit down on a pail (padded) when I operate the electric splitter. You have to put the piece to be split on the unit, but you don't have to lift it high. Then you can sometimes reach and pick up the pieces to resplit. I think it's probably easier than a standard gas powered horizontal splitter since there's potentially less vertical lifting required.

I normally sit my Ryobi on a short table such that I'm not bending over or sitting down to operate it. I personally find it easier to load and operate it standing up. Or I use it on my truck tailgate if the logs are already cut to size when I bring them home (this is ideal for me in terms of using the Ryobi). Using it on the table does require me to lift the logs but this has not been a barrier for me personally. If I can lift it and get it in the back of the truck then I can lift it onto the splitter on the table.

velvetfoot said:
I was at the local HF store today. It's still $239.

Damm, I just came back from a HD today, I didn't see a "stock sign" but the one boxed unit I saw was tagged $299, so doesn't look to be on sale right now or any more..

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.