Any info on the Merlin3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just Googled "Merlin3" and found this website. I thought I'd offer the info I had. I have both a sales brochure for the Merlin 3 and a manual (both English and French!) if any one is interested. Attached is a cross section of the airflow both into and out of the firebox with cross section through the center and edge of the stove. Top view supposedly shows how the air enters and is heated and the bottom view shows how it exhausts to the chimney. It also shows how the baffle can be pushed up and then dropped down. I believe Helvetia is long out of business.

Dave

Where does this stove draw air from? I have 3 small holes in front of box and then the three or four larger oval vents beneath them. I am not sure where those larger vents go as the run under the stove to the back somewhere.

Mike- are there any vents along the back of the box? I wonder if those added bricks in mine are somehow stifling airflow.

Thanks.

-matt[/quote]

Attachments

• Merlin.jpg
    Merlin.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 354
Dave-

Thank you SO much for that diagram!!! I sorta imagined that was sorta what was going on in my stove but wasn't aware of the air return in the upper back part of the box. Do you have one of these stoves?

I will say... this stove is working well but it's very particular about having adequate heat/coal bed before you can shut the door and there's enough convection draw. Takes a good 20-30 minutes of diligence and tinkering... much more so than any other stove i've ever used.

Thanks again for the diagram... that is awesome.

-matt

Awesome, that is a big help Dave. The diagram is a bit confusing. The smoke path shows the flue closed off completely in the top picture. How does that work?

It looks like the stove may have a bypass for easy startup. Matt, could it be that you are trying to start the stove with the bypass closed? Dave, can you PM me with the manual?

BeGreen-

I am wondering if the diagram refers to 2 different "cross cuts" through the stove.

I think the top pic is the outer edges or "sides" of the stove as you look at it while the pic w/ the flue depicts the center 1/2 or 1/3 of the stove. The flue is a 6" pipe right off the center top of the flue.

Also, there is a bypass damper that is open when the door is open. It's located by the foremost orange/red "hairpin" curve in the second pic.

Just wanted to follow up for burleymike and the rest...

This stove is doing great... heats about 60-70% of the house, ~ 1200-1500 sq ft with some fans moving it around. Could get the house up to 70-72 degrees although hanging at 66-68 in this really cold snap.

Only burns for about 6-8 hrs no matter how we stack it but i figure that's about all i can ask of this stove given its size. Takes a good 45-60 minutes to start throwing out heat again (but a lot of that is likely due to the subpar wood i have)

? for the experts... any thoughts on a small insert/grate in the box? I see the advantage of this as helping to get better airflow, etc around the logs. Disadvantage: loss of space in box (maybe to the point that you can't get a 2nd layer of logs in there...)

Thanks.

Just as an update to a LONG dead post, dave was nice enough to get me the brochure and manual for this stove. Burleymike or others, please let me know if you'd like a copy and i can work on getting it to you. It's a pretty big file, about 10MB pdf.

Pretty interesting... talks about the stove takes advantage of THREE stages of combustion.

Status
Not open for further replies.