Anybody ever take a ton of pellets back?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought two tons of pellets from this lumber yard here in Michigan and I tell you they are not worth a darn. Last year bought Somerset and they were great, still have two bags left. These other pellets this year have alot of ash, don't put out the heat the Somerset's put out and they tend to put out less and less heat as the hours pass. Last night was 22 F outside and stove-{pellets)couldn't keep up; last year no problem. Clean the stove on regular basis, cleaned out the flue "Stainless corragted pipe", have oak installed. Second year with the stove. Breckwell P23I, also have Skytech 3301 thermostat.

So, is it out of the realm to take pellets back, what would you guys do?

I dont think its that uncommon to return a ton of pellets.A friend of mine took a ton of Bayous back to Home Depot just last week.I told him he should read Jays "Big Box Pellet Review"before he shops for his next ton.

I suppose it depends on the return policy of the store. Many will not unless it is a defective product, or there is a pattern of customer dissatisfaction. Check out what others have found with the brand you are using. Personally I would not mention it here unless they are really, really bad, as you are going to start a flaming war. You say you are not getting a good burn, what have you done to improve the burn besides the cleaning? Have you adjusted air and auger settings, tried increasing or decreasing the feed rate, running the stove on manual? If you bought a premium grade pellet and have used your controls to improve the burn, you are just comparing the performance of one to another at the same or similar setting. I burn some at completely different settings and different settings of the same pellet in the same building, but in different stoves.

If the pellets are not working at all and you have done all you can do to correct the problem, then the store should take them back. You may do better selling them, even the best stores may charge a restocking fee (20% at my hardware store if there is nothing defective with the product), they may also say they can not because of the delay from when you bought the pellets and your return (we used to say within 90 days on returns no exceptions - Not Stove or Pellet Related). That makes sure that merch in not held/used and rendered unsellable or out dated. Regardless the store will take a serious hit on the cost/loss if you bought them last Spring and they no longer carry that brand.

Also, don't just expect a cash refund. Many places are offerring store credits only. They can at least recover some of their loss that way

Two years ago I was in the right place at the right time. A builder wanted to return three tons of pellets not used at his high end project. The floor manager wouldn't budge. I went to the assistant manager and made a deal. He take them back, at 75% of the discounted sale price to the builder as a credit. I would pay him the lost credit amount plus 10% and all they would have to do is unload his truck drive them around the building and load my trailer. Of course, he did the deal saved a large customer, didn't insult the customer or manager and made me very happy. Great pellets at 40% off the current price, and the store didn't have to explain why the good pellets they couldn't get in the fall were back in stock. Ahhhh, did I make friends with deliveries on that one.

Bought a ton of Somerset pellets and a ton of another brand from the same dealer and noticed how much hotter the Somerset pellets burned. I did a controlled test taking temperature readings of each, I lost my data in a computer crash but there was a signifant difference. As I recall the Somerset on the #2 setting burned as hot as the other on the #3 sometimes #4. I actually had to reset the Englander three buttons to get a low burn. The dealer willingly agreed to exchange but said nobody else had complained. I did the hauling both ways. I didn't apply any particular pressure and was a good day for both of us. Still buy my pellets there but always ask for Somerset up front.

HopeItBurns said:
I bought two tons of pellets from this lumber yard here in Michigan and I tell you they are not worth a darn.......
Can you tell us what the brand was?

we have had folks bring them back before....usually to trade them in for another brand, for whatever reason. The only thing we ask is that they are still saleable. What is the customer supposed to do when they have one of the "picky" stoves which only want to burn a certain quality of pellet? Better off trying to keep the customer happy!

Yes, did that same deal with Someset's on setting #2 which kept the rooms 3-4 degree's hotter than the Maeder Brothers can't reach on setting #3 or 4 or 5. I didn't want to bash the pellets, that why I didn't post their name the first time; will never buy them again. There is a link in here for the worst pellets and Maeder was on it (my bad). I didn't do my home work correctly like last year when purchasing pellets. In 2008 was on this forum looking at which brands burned really good and wrote them down on a pad of paper which can't find (normal). I did change the low setting feed rate to drop the pellets at at greater time limit which is every 14 seconds approx. That seemed to help but still have alot of clinkers, ash and low heat output and have to clean the stove every 20 hours. With the Somerset's, would run 5 days worth with the occasional open and close the door real quick and clean the burn pot trick. Thanks for all the input, this is a great forum.

ps. Last year didn't need an ash tray, there was a minimal amount of ash, the vacuum sucked it out with no problems, I ordered an ashpan for the insert on Sunday, could speed up clean up process.

I would call the place of purchase before you reload and drive there. Never hurts to ask. It should not be a problem but not worth double loading and driving.

Eric

Right now looking for another pellet dealer near my home, closest one is in Dundee, MI where I purchased those non burner's and Ohio 33 miles away (no Biggie). You guys ever hear of Pennywise Pellets? I was looking on another Forum and this guy says they burn hot with no clinkers. However, hope the name does not imply penny wise if ya know what I mean....hehehehehe So, may take a run out there and buy a few bags before getting rid of a lousy ton or more and buying the big load of goodies.

check with your tsc in your area and see what they stock depending on the person in charge they get some good pellets, and we have a producer her in michigan called fiber biproducts they make the propellet green bags

yup.............. Just like anything else that does not meet expectations................

Update: Well, called lumber yard and the said they would take them back, he asked me if I would like to exchange them for Michigan Pellets; told him let him know when I get there so looked up Michigan Pellet review on this forum but didn't like the review especially when it mentioned high ash...so took a ton back on Wednesday of the Maeder Brothers Pellets. Still waiting for my credit card to be credited....
On Tuesday stopped by Manerds; they had a sale on pellets but didn't say which brands but they had Somerset and Pennywise made by Marth and also had Michigan pellets so I bought 3 bags of Pennywise to try and a ton of Somersets all at 3.97 a bag. So Wednesday took those darn pellets back and when left there went back to Manerds and picked up another ton of Somerset pellets. Thursday morning picked another ton of Somerset and two bags of Michigan pellets to try. I tried the Pennywise and the seem to burn just like the Somersets....very hot and low ash.

Lousyweather said:
we have had folks bring them back before....usually to trade them in for another brand, for whatever reason. The only thing we ask is that they are still saleable. What is the customer supposed to do when they have one of the "picky" stoves which only want to burn a certain quality of pellet? Better off trying to keep the customer happy!

I agree we have taken back 6 tons from one person because his stove would get jammed up with them. If the company has any respect for its customers they will take the product back and work with you to get what you need or tell you were to go to to get what you need. Between my father and I we burned all 6 tons with no problem at all in our quads. Customer is always right!

I always suggest to my customers to buy 5 or 6 bags of a new brand first before investing in a larger volume. That way you get a good feel of how they burn in your stove. If supplies are limited, pay for the 1 or 2 ton, take a few bags home and if you find they don't burn worth a crap then it is easier to get your $$ back before the are delivered.

Once you find a good pellet, mix the good ones with the bad ones. That way you can use them up and still get some decent heat.

HopeItBurns said:
......On Tuesday stopped by Manerds........they had Somerset and Pennywise made by Marth........I tried the Pennywise and the seem to burn just like the Somersets....very hot and low ash.

I'm curious....I wonder if the PennyWise that you say Marth makes are just the regular Marth pellets in a private label bag?? I test burned some Marth, and so did jtakeman in his mini test, and the Marth seemed to be the "sleeper" pellet of the year.....very low ash, nice clean oak smell, very little fines, and burned great in my stove.

If their the same pellet as the regular Marth, at $3.97/bag, I'd be all over them. $199/ton for them is great.

I’m curious….I wonder if the PennyWise that you say Marth makes are just the regular Marth pellets in a private label bag?? I test burned some Marth, and so did jtakeman in his mini test, and the Marth seemed to be the “sleeper” pellet of the year…..very low ash, nice clean oak smell, very little fines, and burned great in my stove.

macman, I agree, those are some darn good pellets in fact was going to do a mini test myself using the Marth's, Somersets, Michigan Pellets and the non burner's high ash Maeder Brother's. I have thermocouples, will check for fines, ash, heat output and if the glass is dirty or clean or semi-clean. Think of anything else, let me know....

The 3.97 a bag deal was good till Christmas eve. I have limited space, could only grab so much, was working on a pellet shed in back of barn but decided to go deer hunting instead and by the time I got home, she was a bit cool out; time to do indoor projects.

Attachments

• Marth.jpg
    Marth.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 757
If your not happy with someone, bring it back. Or sell it on CL at a discount with a "buyer beware" In a lot of cases, what doesnt work good on one stove will work good on another. For instance..Curran pellets make the glass door on our Europa dirty faster than than the PA pellets. I tried Curran on our St Croix..burned BEAUTIFUL. Go figure.

Yes been mixing 50-50 Somerset and Maeder Brothers and the stove is actually burning pretty darn good. The glass is semi-dirty and I have to clean her every 2 days instead of every 24 hours. Clean the burn pot about 3 times a day-seems to work best if I totally take all the pellets out of burn pot and put a smallhandful in and shut the door; only get a 30 second window. I did receive my drop in ashpan and that saves some serious cleaning time.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions... THIS FORUM ROCKS!

I have a ton of Currans being picked up by Lowe's Sat AM, and being replaced with a ton of Pennington,
Lowe's was great to work with one call and no problem, Curran LLC on the other hand well we won't get into it.

I stopped mixing the Somerset with the Maeder Brothers, I can get the M's to burn about three days now, run the stove with Somerset for two, then add the other for three. The first bag of M's runs pretty good for a day, then clinkers every 4-6 hours. I increase the fresh outside air with the M's.; So whats up with these Curran's, sounds like M's and Curran's were miss-identified as animal feed... :snake:

1 Ton of Curran's picked up 1 Ton of Somerset's delivered, (not Pennington's) Lowe's was great to work with.
5 remaining bags of Curran's not even gonna mix em, they make good cat litter (fall apart easy)
Currans burned the dirtiest I have ever seen along with soot and a huge amount of ash.
Not to mention the amount of dust and fines in each and every bag opened.
Could not get them to burn clean no matter what stove setting,
Thought it was my stove so cleaned stove and pipes and all then tried 4 other brands all with no issues.
Curran even tested 2 bags and said there was nothing wrong with the pellets? Huh really?
I tried the somerset a few days ago and they really put out the heat even beating the green teams I had tried,
So long Curran's hello quality pellets!!!
You know what ,I don't think people like pellet bashing on the site this year but it is what it is and I tried to work my way through a ton of these Curran's gritting my teeth (laterally from the dust) and finally said the heck with these. Curran did not help but Lowe's came through with flying colors... Just like Jimmy Johnson!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.