Anyone using Dog shock collars?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a wireless one for four years now. Works great. The only difference is you don't have as much control over your perimeter, but it worked out fine for our space. As mentioned, the key is training the dog. The shock is just a reinforcement. That being said, My dogs were trained in a very short time. Well, the old cow dog went into fetal position and had to be carried into the yard for a few days, but now we're good.

There was an incident with chickens and the shock collar, but that has to be told over beer.

smokinjay said:
That why I was looking for the remote. There is hundreds of acres out her to walk, this will allow me to take her....I hope. Monster corn fields and sod farm.

Tritronics Pro 100. Big time range and large adjustment range as well. Timing as well as intensity is important. 2 weeks to good behavior tops and I don't care what kind of dog you have or how big or how stubborn it is.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
That why I was looking for the remote. There is hundreds of acres out her to walk, this will allow me to take her....I hope. Monster corn fields and sod farm.

Tritronics Pro 100. Big time range and large adjustment range as well. Timing as well as intensity is important. 2 weeks to good behavior tops and I don't care what kind of dog you have or how big or how stubborn it is.

Awesome....She really good until she thinks Ducks! You can see her at the pond always checking back to see if we are still watching. Around a half hour and she come back with her head down for the next two days.

smokinjay said:
Awesome....

Until you see the price. They last though. Mine is 15 years old and is used daily. I have no hesitation about taking my dog anywhere and tend to have block headed stubborn breeds with a taste for distraction and bad reps.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
Awesome....

Until you see the price. They last though. Mine is 15 years old and is used daily. I have no hesitation about taking my dog anywhere and tend to have block headed stubborn breeds with a taste for distraction and bad reps.

Here what I ordered. Thats what I am looking for. Love to be able to put her on a kayak and not have to chase her through the woods.

http://www.dogwidgetsforless.com/el...emote-2-dogs-training-shock-collar-600-yards/

That is the right style collar for what you are trying to accomplish. I've had friends try the less power, less range types and they ended up going back and buying the bigger one anyway. If you've got a bigger dog that is only doing what is natural, you need the range and the varying power to deal with different levels of distraction. Do not let anyone else use it that might be prone to using it as a punishment as opposed to training device. People do some really stupid things to animals.

SolarAndWood said:
That is the right style collar for what you are trying to accomplish. I've had friends try the less power, less range types and they ended up going back and buying the bigger one anyway. If you've got a bigger dog that is only doing what is natural, you need the range and the varying power to deal with different levels of distraction. Do not let anyone else use it that might be prone to using it as a punishment as opposed to training device. People do some really stupid things to animals.

Funny that you mention that. I been calling her zappy for the last couple days. She may develop a nervous twitch when turning the Chanel. I get remote mix up all the time ! ;-) J/K
Darn sure will let someone else get a hold of it...

We have a different make collar, but they probably all are similar. We've had very good results using the colllar with our dog, who I affectionately call Mr. Hyde. We almost never have to use shock on her because she knows what happens if she ignores vibrate ;-). So what you want to do if possible is to set up, or approach the bad behavior you want to stop, and have the remote ready to go. Right as your dog starts getting into it, first go with the verbal no, then quickly the vibrate, followed quickly by a nick. This all has to happen while the bad behavior is taking place - if you do it 3 seconds later, your dog will say "what the he||||| are you zapping me for". Getting everything done may be tough in some situations - you may need to start the process early, knowing what's about to take place. But after a couple times, your dog will learn that after vibrate comes shock, and they do remember that really well. I think these things are great - I let my dog wander, but she never gets far enough away because she knows she has to get back before the "third event" happens. She almost always comes back on the verbal, but if not, and I have to use vibrate, she comes FLYING over the hill. If you use it correctly from the start, you'll rarely ever need to use shock.

willworkforwood said:
We have a different make collar, but they probably all are similar. We've had very good results using the colllar with our dog, who I affectionately call Mr. Hyde. We almost never have to use shock on her because she knows what happens if she ignores vibrate ;-). So what you want to do if possible is to set up, or approach the bad behavior you want to stop, and have the remote ready to go. Right as your dog starts getting into it, first go with the verbal no, then quickly the vibrate, followed quickly by a nick. This all has to happen while the bad behavior is taking place - if you do it 3 seconds later, your dog will say "what the he||||| are you zapping me for". Getting everything done may be tough in some situations - you may need to start the process early, knowing what's about to take place. But after a couple times, your dog will learn that after vibrate comes shock, and they do remember that really well. I think these things are great - I let my dog wander, but she never gets far enough away because she knows she has to get back before the "third event" happens. She almost always comes back on the verbal, but if not, and I have to use vibrate, she comes FLYING over the hill. If you use it correctly from the start, you'll rarely ever need to use shock.

My only issue is the hauling @ss for the pond. She looks at you a few times before she runs. (kinda like a mexican stand off) The gf has lots of plans for it though...lol

smokinjay said:
My only issue is the hauling @ss for the pond.

hauling @ss for the pond will have an initial setting required to deal with, then will get reduced after maybe 3 times of having to do it. For those special distractions that are part of being a dog, I don't find that the vibrate and escalate works at all. I don't like the momentary either, just teaches the dog to fight through it and it will go away. Find the level that works, hold it down until it does work and show the dog a lot of love for doing the right thing. Next time won't take as much juice to convince them to do the right thing.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
My only issue is the hauling @ss for the pond.

hauling @ss for the pond will have an initial setting required to deal with, then will get reduced after maybe 3 times of having to do it. For those special distractions that are part of being a dog, I don't find that the vibrate and escalate works at all. I don't like the momentary either, just teaches the dog to fight through it and it will go away. Find the level that works, hold it down until it does work and show the dog a lot of love for doing the right thing. Next time won't take as much juice to convince them to do the right thing.

Your right and have not even used one. You can tell once she make her mind up what and where she is going. This is a clear shot to the pond so I should have more than enough range. Its maybe 200 yards.

snowleopard said:
If Jay were a dog, he'd be a black lab. I'm betting that she's something along those lines.

On the other hand, if Dennis was a dog, he'd be a hound. Gamma would be a Standard Poodle. BrotherBart would be a Jack Russell Terrier. Jake would be a Schipperke. ISeeDeadBTU's would be one of those dogs that refuse to make eye contact with you, then sneak up behind and bites. Bad dog. BiggRedd would be a pit bull. And so on.

--

Known for a stubborn, mischievous, and headstrong temperament, the Schipperke is sometimes referred to as the "little black fox", the "Tasmanian black devil", or the "little black devil". They are naturally curious and high-energy dogs and require ample exercise and supervision. Schipperkes are very smart and independent; and sometimes debate listening to owners, instead choosing to do whatever benefits them the most. First-time dog owners would be well advised to familiarize themselves with the breed prior to purchase. Schipperkes require training and a secure, fenced-in space to run. They are formidable barkers and can be aggressive with other dogs

---

Stubborn and mishievous and headstrong . . . sure . . . I don't now about the whole high-energy dog requiring lots of exercise though . . . supervision on the other hand is probably a must as I tend to get distracted easily. I guess you could translate my tendency to be "verbose" with the words into "formidable barker" . . . but I am most definitely not very agressive with other dogs/people.

I always picked myself as a bassett hound . . . ;) Hell, that's how I picked up my knickname . . . knicknamed after an Assistant Chief's bassett Jacob.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
I have a wireless one for four years now. Works great. The only difference is you don't have as much control over your perimeter, but it worked out fine for our space. As mentioned, the key is training the dog. The shock is just a reinforcement. That being said, My dogs were trained in a very short time. Well, the old cow dog went into fetal position and had to be carried into the yard for a few days, but now we're good.

There was an incident with chickens and the shock collar, but that has to be told over beer.

would it and could it be....."the one chicken kept jumpin the fence, so i put the collar on it...had to wrap it around it's neck a few times because of the size difference...well, anyway, when that old bird jumped the fence the next time, she got lit up like a white phosphorous shell on a dark night! and we ended up with roast bird for supper!"...

firefighterjake said:
Stubborn and mishievous and headstrong . . . sure . . . I don't now about the whole high-energy dog requiring lots of exercise though . . . supervision on the other hand is probably a must as I tend to get distracted easily. I guess you could translate my tendency to be "verbose" with the words into "formidable barker" . . . but I am most definitely not very agressive with other dogs/people.

I always picked myself as a bassett hound . . . ;) Hell, that's how I picked up my knickname . . . knicknamed after an Assistant Chief's bassett Jacob.

Ah, but they didn't explain at what they bark. In their function as boat dogs, they do regular sweeps of their boats. If a rope has been carelessly dropped instead of neatly coiled, they will respectfully call this to the owner's attention. If they were stove dogs instead, they would probably not approve of ash doors left open, chimneys left uncleaned, green wood being burned. Their sense of propriety is purely pragmatic. Verbosity is probably a better description than the dismissive `barker' label. They are . . . highly interactive. That's better. Interested in the world around them.

Hound? I'm not seeing it. Volcano with green grass growing on it. Release your inner Schipperke . . .

I have a neighbor with 2 cool labs- they have shock collars and sometimes they don't put them on, or they go dead, or who knows what. The dogs end up in my yard trying to eat my compost (bad for them). They're always covered in swamp water when they get there and I drive them home (first we play fetch).

Just a note to say that you need to still be on top of things with a shock collar. I feel for these 2 old girls.

Put the collar on the dog at least 4-5 days with no batteries, or they will associate the new collar with the nicks she gets.
No "new collar" and i dont have to mind dad.
My 1st Lab knew what collar he was wearing and there was a difference in behavior between the street collar and the electric one with the remote.
They get wise real fast.
They can be a great tool in the right hands.

mainemaul said:
Put the collar on the dog at least 4-5 days with no batteries, or they will associate the new collar with the nicks she gets.
No "new collar" and i dont have to mind dad.
My 1st Lab knew what collar he was wearing and there was a difference in behavior between the street collar and the electric one with the remote.
They get wise real fast.
They can be a great tool in the right hands.

Too funny and mine is that smart like that! lol I will do it.

We put one in around our several acre yard and it really helped in training our giant schnoodle (giant schnauzer and regular poodle) where his boundaries are. Several suggestions though. Use a trencher and don't bury the line too close to the road (our line kept getting broken by vehicles coming off the edge and digging into the dirt). Also, if your dog has a thick coat like mine, shave a bit of the hair on their throats so that the contacts touch. Remember, sometimes they will just want whatever it is too bad to care about the pain and then they'll be stuck outside of the fence because they won't want to get shocked getting back in!

My friends dog is apparently very smart. He has the buried system and seems the "reminder" gets firmer the closer you get to the boundary.
One day he noticed his dog walking very slowly up toward the boundary...then he just sat down a few feet from the line. Sat there for a long time and next thing you knew the dog was off and running.
The dog just waited for the battery in the collar to discharge and off he went!

muncybob said:
My friends dog is apparently very smart. He has the buried system and seems the "reminder" gets firmer the closer you get to the boundary.
One day he noticed his dog walking very slowly up toward the boundary...then he just sat down a few feet from the line. Sat there for a long time and next thing you knew the dog was off and running.
The dog just waited for the battery in the collar to discharge and off he went!

Wow, they are much smarter than even I thought. lol I am lucky at this point she only goes to the pond. Oh and she done it again this A.M. Normally in the dark she will not try it. Not true anymore she is now no longer afraid of the dark. Zapper will be her Saturday! Its a new ball game I hope......

I have a SportDog 400 for my stubborn Golden Retriever, had a more expensive one (SportDog 800) last year but could never use it on him(felt bad) ended up selling it for a loss. Got frustrated with him again this year when he would take off and not listen roll in turkey poop and eat other nasty things> I got tired of chasing him into the puckies to get him to come back without offering him a treat, so off to Cabela's I went and got the SportDog 400- this has been a truly great tool for both of us. He stays by my side constantly and always comes the first time I call. No more issues, after only a few nicks, I just have to give him the warning beep and back he comes. Wish I had done it earlier.

We have an Invisible Fence for our 3 dogs. The only problem is the neighbors cats know that they can set just outside the fence and torment the dogs! :cheese:

Gary

Got the remote shocker collar in today and charged. Try it on my self on the top level. Just wanted to know before hitting the dog with it. This should work fine! Frist run will be Sunday A.M. Wish me luck. Scrape that going to try it now! ;-P

I just picked up a 100' extension cord and wired it to her collar
when she starts runnig I throw the switch and hit her with some 220
stops her DEAD in her tracks
seems to only work once though............

Status
Not open for further replies.