Attaching pellet stove to the floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fsappo

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2008
Central NY
I little embarrassed to be asking this.. Never sold a ton of pellet stoves and the one or two I recall having to attach to a floor(mobile home specs) I think the sub that installed it just drilled holes thru the American Panel hearth pad and bolted the stove down.

The company I work for now may be inclined to use Mobile Home approved pellet stoves in hard to heat, older single wide trailers. My questions is (searches on here turned up nada) Any creative ways to install a pellet stove, on a UL listed hearth pad and attach it to the floor without drilling thru the pad?

If there is anyplace to ask, this is the place!

Here in NY you have to attach them due to the fact the mobile home will move a lot more in an earthquake and if there is winds over a certain MPH.

Part of code requirements for stove installation in mobile homes. Once you set them up on your land or in a trailer court, generally don't move the trailer... but code requires them bolted down.

My stove is in a small 10X20 bump out. It does not have anchor bolts going through the floor. It was placed on a hearth board and the exhaust hooked up. When the fire inspector came to look at it he did not point out that it was not bolted down. In my case if I should decide to move. Then the bump out would have to be removed. Which in turn would mean the stove would have to be moved. If the stove is placed in the main section of the unit. Then the stove needs to be bolted down.

Most of the Install instructions for Mobile Homes are as follows.

MOBILE HOME INSTALLATION REQUIREMENTS
IN ADDITION TO THE STANDARD INSTALLATION INSTRUCTION, THE FOLLOWING
REQUIREMENTS ARE MANDATORY FOR INSTALLATION IN A MOBILE HOME:
WARNING
DO NOT INSTALL IN SLEEPING ROOM
1) Stove must be permanently bolted to the floor. Remove the Base Trim and bolt thru the base flange.
2) Stove must have permanent outside air source.
3) Stove must be permanently electrically ground to the steel chassis of the mobile home.
4) All vertical chimney vent must have wall supports.
5) All exhaust systems must have a spark arrestor.

According to the pictures I've seen you drill 2 holes thru the pad and the floor and run 2 bolts thru everything.

Attachments

• stovemh.jpg
    stovemh.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 364
Reactions: Big papa
It is a Federal HUD regulation requirement. Has been for a long time. Any fuel burning appliance in a mobile home has to be lagged to the floor.

That is a good question. That would mean you would have to bolt through the hearth pad too

I am not sure this would be approved or look that good. But you could bolt this to the stove then bolt the other end to the floor on the side of the hearth pad?

nor00099.jpg

Well just going to through tis out,some harmans,and possibly others show mobile home installations,drilling through the floor.This is not a new thing at all,you just need to research.

Maybe a metal plate with an offset? And some rubber under the offset where it touch the base plate of the stove.

metal offset.png

Sorry for my drawing, you'll be happy to know that I am not an engineer :)

Make sure you have your masonry bits in your tool kit ... would making a template of the stove base make it easier for hole placement on the hearth pad? Pre-drill your holes?

Maybe a metal plate with an offset? And some rubber under the offset where it touch the base plate of the stove.

View attachment 143912

Sorry for my drawing, you'll be happy to know that I am not an engineer :)

That may work if it would grab the heath and stove. I was just trying to avoid drilling thru the pad. Was hoping Craig would invent 40"x40" hearth pads with predrilled holes with matching plugs in them or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.