Befuddled by kitchen ceiling.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spot

Jun 27, 2006
I am putting a new light in the kitchen and want to place it in the center of the ceiling.

However...

2 walls have cabinets (west and south )
2 walls have nothing (east and north )

And...

Said cabinets do not reach the ceiling ( 8 inches from )

So...

Should I measure the ceiling as if there were no cabinets?
Or measure to where the edge of the cabinets would be if they reached the ceiling?
Maybe split the difference?

Measure out from the cabinet fronts, you'll get a much better look.

I agree, the 8" gap at the top of the cabinets is part of the cabinet to the person standing in the kitchen. It'll look better.

Thank you for your replies.

I will measure from the cabinets.

:)

If you are able to get the wiring in, consider putting in recessed can lights so that the counter tops have good work lighting without shadows. The install center point of the light should be about 6" towards the center of the room from a vertical line drawn to the ceiling from the outer edge of the counter. I put in 4 of those, use CFL flood lamps, and very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.