Best way to stack eco bricks in an F3?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwells794

Jul 22, 2015
Virginia
subject says it all. I can't quite do it the way the brick mfg suggests because of the shorter depth of the F3, but basically what i do is:

set 1 upright up against the back wall
set 2 flat in front of that, but about 2-3 in from each other
set 1 flat over those creating a bridge of sorts, but about 2-3 in from the upright brick in back
set 1 flat as a bridge over the rear most upright brick and the brick bridging the lowest tier
set 1 on each side upright but leaning against the "brick fort"

I then slide a stick of fatwood in, bridging the bricks from step 2, but between the bricks from steps 1 and 3, and under the brick from step 4. The "fort" is designed such that the air from the starter intake on the front door rushes into and up through the fort and everything gets going like a charm. What i want to know is, is there a better way? is this too many bricks? not enough? I can get stove top temp to the upper ends of the "sweet spot" and stay in the "burn zone" (per rutland thermometer) for about 3.5-4hrs.

Feel free to critique my technique. I'm open to suggestions for improvement.

Last edited:
Sounds like as good a plan as any. The non-square firebox in cast stoves requires a bit of creativity.

I was wondering this as well. How many bricks and what formation should you use to get the longest burn time? How should you orientate them while mixing with cord wood? I normally just toss one or two in...no more then that.

I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing then. Got a ton (literally 2k lbs) for $170 So I figure that might last me through December, maybe a little into January depending on how brutal this winter is. If I can make it through March with only 2 tons, I'll be tickled to death.

Wow that fort structure is fascinating... I'll have to try some of these bricks. 6 Bricks and one stick of fat wood is pretty good for 4 hours in the burn zone. I just loaded 4 or maybe 5 pieces of ash wood to get 3 hours in the burn zone, but it's all it took to get the place to 70ºF. Good luck getting through the cold for $170!

I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing then. Got a ton (literally 2k lbs) for $170 So I figure that might last me through December, maybe a little into January depending on how brutal this winter is. If I can make it through March with only 2 tons, I'll be tickled to death.

$170 Is a pretty good price for a pallet. Around here they go for 250 picked up!

Yeah those Liberty Bricks are priced right. Wish I was closer to those guys. I would burn a bunch of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.