Biggest, meanest,most btu output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AlexandreG

Jan 21, 2024
montcerf-lytton, quebec
Hi everyone.

I am trying to find wich certified wood stove is the biggest, meanest, most btu output possible?

I don't care for slow extended burns, i want heat output to cook me out.

I don't care to save or not on the amount of wood i burn, I want the maximal possible heat output in the house.

Look isn't an issue. Size isn't an issue. Price isn't an issue. Reliability, power, and longevity are.

Thanks

For Quebec Canada, I believe the answer will be the JA Roby Ultimate. MRSP $2400 approximately. Home Hardware, Kent, etc handle them.

Buck 91

IMG_2466.jpeg

Last edited:
Im sorry but your house is under 3000 sq ft. I would focus on tightening the house up
Im sorry, you already asked me tons of questions to which I gave extensive answers, without you having any good input to share back. I feel you are more willing to find out possible mistakes i could have been doing instead of bringing informative content to the questions I have. Maybe i interpret wrongfully your intentions, if it is the case i am sorry, Otherwise if you have no idea on how i can upgrade my heat input, please give me a break and stop making me lose my time at writing you essay.

For the insulation part, i improve those issues as they show up and as fast as i can. The building of my offgrid house is still an undone project that im managing through the startup of a cattle farm and a family. A log house is a process that take multiple years to achieve, specifically in term of air thigthness as the logs dry, shrink, settle and check at an amazing pace at -40. My realty makes it easier for me to upgrade the heat input then trying to overcome the heat losses faster then they show up.

Once again, thank you

Reactions: BobcatBranch
Not the biggest, but pretty high output is the Drolet HT3000.

Free delivery either to your home or at least somewhere close. Excellent customer service, and excellent quality at a fair price. Check out myfireplaceproducts.com. Drolet also sells some models through local hardware/building supply chain stores as well. So does JaRoby.

I fully understand the settling/shrinking of log buildings. But you have to slow the major drafts temporarily at least. Hopefully by the end of the summer you can start sealing it up for real.

Not the biggest, but pretty high output is the Drolet HT3000.

Free delivery either to your home or at least somewhere close. Excellent customer service, and excellent quality at a fair price. Check out myfireplaceproducts.com. Drolet also sells some models through local hardware/building supply chain stores as well. So does JaRoby.

I fully understand the settling/shrinking of log buildings. But you have to slow the major drafts temporarily at least. Hopefully by the end of the summer you can start sealing it up for real.
Thanks

Yes i slow the heat losses as i find them, i have boxes of spray foam and backing rods to deal with that. I cannot run a full second layer yet of chink, my logs are 24-30" thick, kept in place by rebar every 2feets on every row, they shrink massively on a continus pace, i fill the cracks as they appear, mid-fall I'll apply my second and final chink layer.

In the meantime, based on my limited experience, I'm pretty sure you will not be able to heat 3000 feet under your current situation with any single wood stove.

Have you considered partitioning the main areas off temporarily to reduce your space, or installing an additional stove, so that you are running two? The way stoves have gone up in price over the past several years you may not lose much on a stove if you decide to resell. I'm guessing you need a cookstove and a heatstove anyway...

Myfireplaceproducts have ongoing sales, which they publish at the beginning of every month on several models. Sometimes the savings are pretty substantial. The HT3000 was 400 dollars off last month.

Between the Drolet site and the myfirplaceproducts site you have all the info you need, including technical drawings, parts lists, etc. Very comprehensive information overall.

I have a second stove/insert/ masonry fireplace , the whole chimney is running inside the house. Works AMAZINGLY to keep the house way to hot, no matter the outside temp.

My old insurance were ok with it, but not with my cattle herd. My new insurance are not ok with it,but will tolerate an certified insert in the masonry fireplace, wich I intend to do.

I already run the HT -3000 without being satisfied with the heat it gives. It do good for spring and fall mild weather, but is not up to the task for real cold. I'm sure in a smaller, more sealed house, place in milder winter climate zone it would do it. I'm just not willing to wait for global warming. I intend to change it for something more powerful if i find that. The ht-3000 would then be used in the garage or my shop,, or worse the greenhouse, im not willing to sell what doesn't please me to someone else.

Thanks

Yes i slow the heat losses as i find them, i have boxes of spray foam and backing rods to deal with that. I cannot run a full second layer yet of chink, my logs are 24-30" thick, kept in place by rebar every 2feets on every row, they shrink massively on a continus pace, i fill the cracks as they appear, mid-fall I'll apply my second and final chink layer.
Sounds nice! Yup, the bigger the logs the more they shrink.

As you are aware, you have to keep the entire mass of logs warm. A near impossible task in -40 once you get behind...

I don't think you can get significantly more powerful in a wood stove. Somewhat, yes, but not significantly.

Are you able to get that stove up to 650 degrees or a bit more?

Our Legend has to run pretty wide-open in our 1400 ft old farmhouse in -45. Draughty old house, but cozy and warm! Warmer weather is simple. Even -30 is simple.

Hopefully we don't have another cold snap like the one we just came through, although that is unlikely here.

Last edited:
As you are aware, you have to keep the entire mass of logs warm. A near impossible task in -40 once you get behind...
Exactly why I'm rushing to find the perfect insert + the most powerful stove since i lost my main heating system since last Thursday. Luckily the weather is mild , only got to -30 once since then, but the thermal mass/ battery of the stove(fireplace Masonry chimney)is now completely out, when the weather will dip down to the normal, I'll be panicking a little. I am starting to wire up garage electric heaters in the house for if that happens, but I can't get crazy too much on those otherwise my solar battery banks are gonna drain too fast for what the gray skies refill them and I will be out of water also, big issues with cows, even if they do eat snow for water intake, i know mine, they get upset about it, and could feel more adventurous and willing to jump the fence. (I have spoiled them, i know) . I guess the gas generator gonna have to be taken out of retirement, tuned up and placed on standby too....

Thanks for your considerations

My cattle watering system went down during the cold snap and we had not a lot of snow. Right at the start of the cold, in the middle of a -35 night the power went down. We didn't even know until we got up. And we didn't have a lot of snow. The cows will do fine on snow, but they have to get used to it. They can become extremely unruly when they get thirsty. No surprise.

Thankfully my pump didn't crack. I caught it just in time.

Reactions: ozarkoak
My cattle watering system went down during the cold snap and we had not a lot of snow. Right at the start of the cold, in the middle of a -35 night the power went down. We didn't even know until we got up. And we didn't have a lot of snow. The cows will do fine on snow, but they have to get used to it. They can become extremely unruly when they get thirsty. No surprise.

Thankfully my pump didn't crack. I caught it just in time.
Lucky you didn't end up carrying 5g bucket for the rest of the winter!!!

I’d look into the Blaze King King or Regency 5200. Both have 4 cu ft fireboxes and hold a lot of BTU’s.
Yes but neither release those btus really fast. The recency will do more than the bk. But honestly will be pretty comparable to a 3 cu ft noncat

Both can definitely crank out allot of btus but not much more than what you have already. I really think your in wood furnace territory.

What exactly it the insurance company requiring? Is it a ulc listing or is it emissions compliant as well?