BK Ashford 30.1 and OAK Location ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigil Igne

Apr 26, 2014
Northern Wisconsin
As the title says, I will definitely be doing a Ashford 30.1 install this summer. I will also be hooking the stove up to an OAK (outside air kit). Since I will also be installing my own hearth pad, I need info on EXACTLY where to install the duct work for it. I can’t find any information (or installation instructions) for the kit. I need to know where to locate it. Does it go straight out back and through outside wall? Do I need to hook it up under the stove, go through floor to crawl space then out joist rim and up above snow line? Is there some type of template out there so I know where the hole in the pad goes? I would like to include the hole during the build (rather than cut through later). I will have rear fan kit also if that matters.

Exactly how do I proceed to get this right? I would guess being even a quarter inch off can be a big problem if I don’t get this right. Thanks

Does it go straight out back and through outside wall? Do I need to hook it up under the stove, go through floor to crawl space then out joist rim and up above snow line?

These two options are best, the second one is a little more time consuming but nicer end result. When I installed mine I bought a 4" dryer vent, took the plastic flapper out but left the plastic mesh / cage to keep rodents out. I think it was like $8.00 from home depot

Going straight down is the cleanest looking, but as you said, it would need to be spot on. That gets tricky without the stove on site.
The outside air kit comes with an adaptor that attaches to the bottom rear of the stove. From there you can elbow and go straight out the wall.

Yea, I prefer to go down and then out. The sad part is, based on what I'm reading, is that I'll need to build first and then cut into what I built. Sucks to put it mildly. They have diagrams showing sizes of unit and exactly where the stove pipe mounts but apparently nothing for the OAK.

Yea, I prefer to go down and then out. The sad part is, based on what I'm reading, is that I'll need to build first and then cut into what I built. Sucks to put it mildly. They have diagrams showing sizes of unit and exactly where the stove pipe mounts but apparently nothing for the OAK.

You aren't going to use hard duct for this so you don't need to be perfect. Here's my current OAK setup pictured.

I will also link to the thread of hearth construction which included my OAK duct to the ventilated crawlspace which is the ideal location for an OAK since there is no issue with debris blockage, winds, kids plugging it, etc. and the run is usually very short. I like the idea of extra ventilation in the crawl anyways.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-hearth-for-the-princess.145448/

Attachments

• IMG_20150926_165857.jpg
    IMG_20150926_165857.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: Sprinter
You aren't going to use hard duct for this so you don't need to be perfect. Here's my current OAK setup pictured.

I will also link to the thread of hearth construction which included my OAK duct to the ventilated crawlspace which is the ideal location for an OAK since there is no issue with debris blockage, winds, kids plugging it, etc. and the run is usually very short. I like the idea of extra ventilation in the crawl anyways.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-hearth-for-the-princess.145448/

Thanks. Knowing I can use flexible venting will help but I'll contact BK to see if they can get me "close".

My crawl space is not ventilated. Would add to much humidity in the summer and cold in the winter if it was.

Reactions: webby3650
Thanks. Knowing I can use flexible venting will help but I'll contact BK to see if they can get me "close".

My crawl space is not ventilated. Would add to much humidity in the summer and cold in the winter if it was.
Encapsulated crawlspace. Nice! I wish more people would get on board with crawlspace conditioning.

When we raised the house in 2006 I insulated the crawlspace walls and turned it into a conditioned space. We are dry in the summer so I open up the vents when the rains stop. In winter the crawlspace doesn't drop below 60º.

Status
Not open for further replies.