Brand new to stove world...should we get a coal stove instead of a wood one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having burned a bit of coal, I'd have to agree that it has a certain appeal. On the other hand, the price is going to skyrocket at some point, unlike chunk wood.

You can buy add-on boilers that burn coal and/or wood. It's a good way to go, IMO. Then you can choose between oil, coal or wood. In fact, you might find one that burns corn and pellets to boot. Supposedly, my new boiler will burn just about anything that lived at one time, including corn cobs and coal (I think).

Erin I was asked bymember to comment about safety I take no satisfiction telling you of the dangers this way But the brunt approach is effective at saving lives
A situation like that may never occure but I think you shouldi ncrease your odds should one happen Welcome to the hearth. Glad you are aboard and participating

Erin regardless of what stove you purchase you will need to deal with ash. I have a pellet stove in my living room, now grant it, they don't produce as much ash as a coal or wood stove, but I still deal with the occasional "dirt/dust/ash clean up".

Just to give you a ballpark, Erin, New Horizon Corp. sells a cast iron coal/wood boiler (144,000+ btu) for around $3,500. Since they're in West Virginia, I don't think shipping would be all that much more. A rough gestimate to have it professionally installed would be $2,000, depending on your existing piping and chimney conditions.

Remember that any investment in alternative energy starts paying you back immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.