1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

BS about splitters

Post in 'The Gear' started by Hanko, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodconvert

woodconvert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fenton Michigan
    Nice set of wheels ya got...both of em'. I'd bet the Grizz comes in handy for tugging stuff out of the woods. You need a big wood sleigh to complete the set!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Catskill- I got the same splittah. I had a piece of very dry 3 year old red oak that I just beat myself to death trying to split by hand when it was fresh (crotch of a big tree with extra knots)- I threw it on there Saturday and it bogged the splitter down... then groaned... then it split it. It cut through thr grain sideways and really mashed it up well. When your red oak looks like elm afterwards- you know it was a tough log.
  3. CK-1

CK-1 Feeling the Heat

Huskee 22 Ton from Tractor Supply..

Attached Files:

4. polaris

polaris Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    KY.
    I've got a 25+ year old brave. It's rated at 22 tons with an 8hp Briggs but the cylinder is a bit larger/longer than some newer ones I've seen. I wonder if the ratings have changed or the equipment has gotten more compact? The Brave has split stuff all the way up to 38" red oak just fine.
  5. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    My 17 ton / 6.5 hp homemade "super portable" rig.

Attached Files:

6. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    NICE!

(Extra words here so that post is accepted.)
  7. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    The wedge is extended about 3/4 stroke in the photo - it's welded directly to the hydraulic cylinder rod to save space. I can dis-assemble the cylinder from the other end if I need to, so it's not too bad if I ever have to rebuild. The engine is a briggs 6.5hp turning a haldex 11 gpm two stage pump. Basically, think of it as a giant "C" clamp. The "backbone" is 6" schedule 40 pipe - which also serves as the hydraulic oil tank. It works fine, square pipe would have been better - both structurally and for slightly more oil capacity, but all I had laying in the shop was the round, so I went with it. It looks kind of top heavy and I was worried about it at first, but using it over the years, it's never really been an issue.
  8. fire_N_ice

fire_N_ice Member

Loc:
    Monmouth County, NJ
    @120 hours and still going strong, last years pic

Attached Files:

9. glacialhills

glacialhills Member

Loc:
    S.W. Michigan
    Wow cozyheat, that is an awesome splitter ya built. Nice and compact for such a high tonnage. with such a narrow wedge do you have any trouble with the splits not wanting to come apart or keeping those small strings connecting between the two splits? I would love to be able to build something like that but alas, I don't have a welder and wouldn't know where to start even if I did.
  10. johnnywarm

johnnywarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut

Fire

How long & wide are your rounds??

John
  11. fire_N_ice

fire_N_ice Member

Loc:
    Monmouth County, NJ
    12 inch and under this year, but last year split a few 20 inch round seasoned red oak 14 inch long. This year had a good scrounge of cherry. Split in Aug after 2 weeks in the hot summer sun. Fresh cherry would not budge. If you are interested in one of these, search it out on the forum. Lots of pleased people.Try youtube too.
  12. jeff6443

jeff6443 New Member

Loc:
    NJ South
    Mines orange uses no gas no maintence . works everytime . I get tired whe I use it . Fumes maybe . Chainsaw before noon splitter afternoon CODE BLUE
  13. johnnywarm

johnnywarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Thank you.
  14. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Not really - I sharpened the wedge to help slice through any knots or twisted grain. It has just enough stroke to have the wedge touch the bottom plate. I'll occasionally hit a piece that is really stringy (mostly free elm that I keep getting) but in that case, I doubt having a couple extra inches of wedge width would make any difference anyway.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.