Burning large logs with damper on "full" ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubjeep

Jan 3, 2008
Long Island, NY
Howdy, I have been burning for just over a week and have found throwing a couple very large logs on a bed of coals with damper on "full" does a good job at keeping the large logs burning, at the same time reducing an excessive hot coal bed in firebox. Temps are about the same I see for regular or smaller size logs (400*) with damper on "low".

The stove manual says not to operate stove on "full" for extended time, is it OK as long as temps do not get too high.

Thanks,
John

I say it's fine, but I'm no expert. You can see how intense the fire is through the window, no?

velvetfoot said:
I say it's fine, but I'm no expert. You can see how intense the fire is through the window, no?

Yes, coals are glowing RED hot, log at a mild burn.

Sounds like the fire's not getting out of hand which is good but I imagine your losing a lot more heat to the chimney.

My Jotul Oslo will easily overfire even when burning large splits (although it takes a little longer to really charr those big pieces wide open.) and then I'm at 600-650 and its time to shut her down. As jpl1nh has pointed out, with the damper open most of your heat is going up the chimney because there is no secondary combustion. Mix the load up a little ......a few small splits on the coals and some big ones the top...try that.

Maybe one or more things are happening...
Splits are just too large
The large splits are still green inside

WoodButcher

I guess the only problem I see is that you'd have lots of heat flying up the chimney. The slower burns help keep more of it radiating out the stove and into the room. But you should be burning a quicker, hotter fire. I know sometimes if I give the stove just a little more air, itll go crazy, burn really hot and burn really fast.

If that's not happening, then I'd suggest that you've still got some water in the middle of those huge logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.