Buying a new woodstove... Which ones are less than 28 1/2 inches high?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nater said:
Wow, that sounds like a full time job to heat your house. Luckily, mine has not come to that yet, but I do have 3 flues in my chimney just in case. :)

I took a look at the Vermont Castings site and I think I could probably squeeze the new Defiant 2-in-1 in there. It is listed at 28 7/8 inches high, so I could just chip away a little bit of brick if I really needed to. It has a 3.2 cu foot firebox too. I tried searching on this new 2-in-1 model but didn't come up with much. What are everyones opinion on it? It says it can be run on a 6" liner, but is it really designed for a 8"? It looks like it is quite pricey on their site, what is the typical price at a shop for it? Anyone have any pictures of the classic black one? My wife doesn't like the enamel and I can't seem to find a picture of the classic one.

Here is a discussion on the New VC Defiant:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/66655/

The new models seem to be performing well, but you should be aware; VC has had issues previously (quality, performance, customer service). Their inserts are still hit or miss in terms of favorable opinions.

Would I buy one? I like the new design and yes, I would buy one (and it is one of the stoves that is on my list to replace the Vigilant). Can I recommend one to someone else that isn't aware of the potential issues they face with a VC? I can not.

The Defiant will run you about 3 grand. The Buck 94 I have seen listed for about $2200. You could always buy the buck and install an 8" liner and come out about the same.

I just have a concern that since you have been using a large pre-epa stove that you will be disappointed in the results unless you replace the stove with a very large EPA stove. We have seen this happen many times on this site.

Also, you mention the hearth is 200 years old, which means you own an old home. Old homes are usually leaky (or, at the very least, not nearly as tight as a new home). I know this first hand as my home was built in 1741.

Huge smoke dragon + old home = Very large EPA stove

Nater said:
Wow, that sounds like a full time job to heat your house. Luckily, mine has not come to that yet, but I do have 3 flues in my chimney just in case. :)

Long burn times is key to keeping my sanity. Looking to update the Vigilant and the Heritage to large cat stoves for longer burn times.

Nater said:

I took a look at the Vermont Castings site and I think I could probably squeeze the new Defiant 2-in-1 in there. It is listed at 28 7/8 inches high, so I could just chip away a little bit of brick if I really needed to. It has a 3.2 cu foot firebox too. I tried searching on this new 2-in-1 model but didn't come up with much. What are everyones opinion on it? It says it can be run on a 6" liner, but is it really designed for a 8"? It looks like it is quite pricey on their site, what is the typical price at a shop for it? Anyone have any pictures of the classic black one? My wife doesn't like the enamel and I can't seem to find a picture of the classic one.

I have seen a classic black one at the local dealer and it looked nice. I was originally looking at replacing my Dutchwest with one but all the refractory material kept concerning me so I went with the PE T6

BrowningBAR said:
Nater said:

Here is a discussion on the New VC Defiant:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/66655/

The new models seem to be performing well, but you should be aware; VC has had issues previously (quality, performance, customer service). Their inserts are still hit or miss in terms of favorable opinions.

Would I buy one? I like the new design and yes, I would buy one (and it is one of the stoves that is on my list to replace the Vigilant). Can I recommend one to someone else that isn't aware of the potential issues they face with a VC? I can not.

The Defiant will run you about 3 grand. The Buck 94 I have seen listed for about $2200. You could always buy the buck and install an 8" liner and come out about the same.

I just have a concern that since you have been using a large pre-epa stove that you will be disappointed in the results unless you replace the stove with a very large EPA stove. We have seen this happen many times on this site.

Also, you mention the hearth is 200 years old, which means you own an old home. Old homes are usually leaky (or, at the very least, not nearly as tight as a new home). I know this first hand as my home was built in 1741.

Huge smoke dragon + old home = Very large EPA stove

I just finished reading through that thread. Seems like they have turned things around for the better. I think the defiant is at the top of the list now, it sounds like it will do the job nicely.

I wouldn't be able to get an 8" liner into my chimney so I have to stick with the 6". Plus, the stove is being paid for by my insurance company so I would have to pay for the liner out of pocket. Would the very large stoves (4+ cu ft firebox) put out more heat than the large stoves (~3 cu ft firebox) or just have longer burn times?

I know the MSRP on the Defiant is about $3,000 but I was wondering what people were able to pay for one from a dealer.

certified106 said:
Nater said:

I have seen a classic black one at the local dealer and it looked nice. I was originally looking at replacing my Dutchwest with one but all the refractory material kept concerning me so I went with the PE T6

I wanted a T6, or even a T5, but neither would fit in my fireplace. It sounds like they have fixed the refractory problems they had though.

Nater said:
certified106 said:
Nater said:

I wanted a T6, or even a T5, but neither would fit in my fireplace. It sounds like they have fixed the refractory problems they had though.

In theory the refractory parts for the Defiant should last much longer than the previous materials. Also, the Catalytic combuster is half the costs.

Nater said:
I started looking at new woodstoves last week and my top two choices were the Alderlea T6 and the Jotul F600. Both are too tall and won't fit inside my fireplace. I looked at the Jotul Oslo and it looks like it will fit (and has an available short leg kit) but I was hoping to get a bigger stove as my house is about 2500-3000 square feet. There didn't look to be any others at the store, except real small ones, which would fit.

What other stoves are less than 28 1/2 inches high and have a larger firebox?

The Hearthstone Equinox is rated at 120,000 btu and 3500 sf. The rear exit looks like it will go under your 28" no problem.

Attachments

• 2011-08-10_140439.jpg
    2011-08-10_140439.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 238
mhrischuk said:
Nater said:
I started looking at new woodstoves last week and my top two choices were the Alderlea T6 and the Jotul F600. Both are too tall and won't fit inside my fireplace. I looked at the Jotul Oslo and it looks like it will fit (and has an available short leg kit) but I was hoping to get a bigger stove as my house is about 2500-3000 square feet. There didn't look to be any others at the store, except real small ones, which would fit.

What other stoves are less than 28 1/2 inches high and have a larger firebox?

The Hearthstone Equinox is rated at 120,000 btu and 3500 sf. The rear exit looks like it will go under your 28" no problem.

But it needs an 8" liner. And the wife doesn't like the look of stone. :) It was one that I looked at, until I saw the 8" inch flue. I can only use a 6" liner.

Would the Morso 3610 work?

Looked up the rear ehaust height and it looks like it's 26 1/8" on center. Maybe you should look into modifing the fireplace opening for a little more height to give you more options. Give a local mason a call and see what they can do.

BrowningBAR said:
Nater said:

Long burn times is key to keeping my sanity. Looking to update the Vigilant and the Heritage to large cat stoves for longer burn times.

You've probably answered this a dozen times, but I searched and couldn't find it - but how many cords of wood do you burn a year with all three stoves going?

Just courious.

Thanks!
Bill

Todd said:
Would the Morso 3610 work?

Looks like it would be a little too tall, even with the rear vent it would be a little over 29".

Attachments

• 3610.jpg
    3610.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 217
Nater said:
I just finished reading through that thread. Seems like they have turned things around for the better. I think the defiant is at the top of the list now, it sounds like it will do the job nicely.

I wouldn't be able to get an 8" liner into my chimney so I have to stick with the 6". Plus, the stove is being paid for by my insurance company so I would have to pay for the liner out of pocket. Would the very large stoves (4+ cu ft firebox) put out more heat than the large stoves (~3 cu ft firebox) or just have longer burn times?

I know the MSRP on the Defiant is about $3,000 but I was wondering what people were able to pay for one from a dealer.

A larger firebox would put out more heat and have a longer burn time. I was quoted a price of $2,650 for a Defiant in my area.

leeave96 said:
BrowningBAR said:
Nater said:

You've probably answered this a dozen times, but I searched and couldn't find it - but how many cords of wood do you burn a year with all three stoves going?

Just courious.

Thanks!
Bill

1 million cords... at least it felt like it last year.

Truth be told, I am unsure. I am hoping for eight this year. I got rid of the Intrepid and I picked up an Encore. I do not know what that will do in terms of my burning habits. Will it mean I don't have to run the Vigilant as hard? Will it effect how I burn the Heritage? No idea at this point. I have hopes and theories, but I won't know for sure until I start burning.

Last year I went through a little less than 10 cords, but I had a lot of soft wood. Probably about 4+ cords of soft wood.

Right now I have 16 cords of hard wood stacked with another 18 cords being delivered next march. Found a guy that gives a discount for bulk deliveries. The 34 cords I ordered from him represents about a third of his total cords that he sells in a year.

If I can get through a winter with 8 cords I am hoping that means I can drop my usage by about two cords when I replace the Vigilant with a Defiant, Firelight, Mansfield, 30NC, or whatever. I'd prefer a large cat stove for the shoulder season flexibility.

I glanced at the picture and thread, and sorta surprised that the height is your only concern.

Currently it looks like you have only ~ 2 bricks worth of hearth in front of the current stove. So you may want to read up on minimum hearth requirements for your stoves.

I noticed someone earlier mentioned removing a row of bricks to gain some height, to my eye it looks like you will need to do some serious hearth extension no matter what unit you choose. In which case, you could make the hearth modifications AND get the stove of your choice.

madison said:
I glanced at the picture and thread, and sorta surprised that the height is your only concern.

Currently it looks like you have only ~ 2 bricks worth of hearth in front of the current stove. So you may want to read up on minimum hearth requirements for your stoves.

I noticed someone earlier mentioned removing a row of bricks to gain some height, to my eye it looks like you will need to do some serious hearth extension no matter what unit you choose. In which case, you could make the hearth modifications AND get the stove of your choice.

The current stove came with the house and was already installed. The hearth is about 9 inches high off the floor and the stove is side loading. I will probably end up getting a hearth pad to set on the floor in front of the hearth if needed, as opposed to rebuilding the hearth. I have too many other projects going on right now to take on another. Hopefully, the new stove will sit inside the fireplace better.

Den said:
Good point, Madison.
I think the Woodstock might fit without extending the hearth, due to the lack of a door on the front of the stove.
Too bad it's so ugly. :roll:

I was thinking the new woodstock stove looked nice, but the wife nixed all woodstock and hearthstone stoves due to being "ugly".

Funny, my wife thought they looked pretty, im not really a look over function person, but priced nixed them both. We ended up finding a very nice used jotul oslo already with the short legs, not bad. We stepped up from a vogalzang insert, 1.2 cu.ft. not to concerned with the heat output as they get good reviews, and frankly anything would have been a step up.

Im curious as to if you couldnt add short legs to the 600, they simply bolt on. Other than clearances that is, any harm it that? Sister had to cut 3/4" or so of the legs of their 30 nc to fit. Not ideal but when your that close...

Stump_Branch said:
Funny, my wife thought they looked pretty, im not really a look over function person, but priced nixed them both. We ended up finding a very nice used jotul oslo already with the short legs, not bad. We stepped up from a vogalzang insert, 1.2 cu.ft. not to concerned with the heat output as they get good reviews, and frankly anything would have been a step up.

Im curious as to if you couldnt add short legs to the 600, they simply bolt on. Other than clearances that is, any harm it that? Sister had to cut 3/4" or so of the legs of their 30 nc to fit. Not ideal but when your that close...

I asked at the dealer about short legs on the 600, and was told there is no option for them. I have wondered in the past whether the legs from the Oslo would fit the Firelight but have not been able to find an answer.

Nater said:
Stump_Branch said:

I asked at the dealer about short legs on the 600, and was told there is no option for them. I have wondered in the past whether the legs from the Oslo would fit the Firelight but have not been able to find an answer.

My guess is yes, theres only one bolt, no real reason to change such dimensions casting wise. However, there may be a reason jotul doesnt offer, such as the 600 needs X amount of space under it for heay disapation and the like. But like i said, a hearth such as yours, my sisters, mine, used to be fireplaces, meaning rather stout to put in mildly, as a fire was once built on it... Personally i doubt whether 2-3 inches would affect anything in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.