Can you ID this stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
It's for sale locally, am trying to figure out what it is before I go see it, owner doesn't know.

Kinda looks like a contemporary Morso (the handle looks like one of theirs) but the door shape doesn't match.

Attachments

• stove1.jpg
    stove1.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 686
  • stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 639
Agreed it looks a bit like a predecessor to the Morso 8142, more or less so.

Good question. I was digging around for that but couldn't find one. The website has been updated and does not seem to show the legacy models anymore.

Yes, I know the handle is laying on the top, that's why I mentioned it.

The one in your pic has a different door and is more rounded on the front. Similar but not the same...

Morso 8142!
Current model - but looks like it's more in the european market.

Yeah, they used to show the older models. I liked being able to refer back to them.

Hmm. Is this what happens when someone puts you on "ignore?"
Kidding. I think.

It looks alot like the 8142 except for the door... maybe they changed the door?

maybe a scan. i had trouble opening pictures on their web site. the second one down i think the
5-6???????????

Yeah, I already looked at the Scans, the Morso is closer.

tickbitty said:
Hmm. Is this what happens when someone puts you on "ignore?"
Kidding. I think.

Nah, just a lot of cross-traffic. The problem with the 8142 is that there is a thin strip between the top and the door that's missing in this stove. Still looking at Scan and Rais to see if this is a possible. But a predecessor to the 8142 seems to be the best fit.

The 8142 has it's air control above the door, this one's appears to be below-right. But it's the best likeness so far.

You guys are relentless. I thought of the Rais, but whilst I was searching, you all began posting results.

Looking at the posters pic, I was concerned about two things: Why is the door handle off, and more serious, the top look kittywampus to the door. As though it teetered over in a fall or something of the like. Might warrant a good all-around inspection before any cold hard cash changes hand. Is the current owner aware that when new this stove carried a high-end Lexus-like price tag? Are you able to take it home for a new Vogelzang retail?

If you are considering it, make sure its fundamentally sound. I would imagine if it needs fixing, that expense may warrant it better off to someone else.

Frostbit said:
You guys are relentless.
Or have nothing else to do on an election night. :)

Looking at the posters pic, I was concerned about two things: Why is the door handle off,

Like most Morsos, it is removable, many Euro stoves are that way.

and more serious, the top look kittywampus to the door.

Assuming it's an 8142, I've looked at the exploded parts drawing, and it appears the top is a fascia.

Are you able to take it home for a new Vogelzang retail?

If it wasn't dirt-cheap I wouldn't be interested. The 8142 has a nice fire view but has heating capability similar to a Jotul F602, maybe even lower. It weighs 450 lbs, has a smallish firebox lined with thick vermiculite, takes three small 12"-long splits at a time, and has a double-insulated top plate. All ingredients for very sedate heat output.

I would imagine if it needs fixing, that expense may warrant it better off to someone else.

You don't know me very well... :)

I'm making arrangements to go look at it. I'll keep you posted.

You're going to have to open a euro-stove shop precaud. I saw what looked like a crooked top, but am wondering if that's just an aberration of the front door being open a little and making the angle look awry?

He who dies with the most wood stoves wins. :)

Well, and hay bales around his house.

lol. I sold the F602 a couple weeks ago, have some funny money to play with and feel naked without a 3rd stove to play with. :)

BG, the top piece is loose and is just a trim piece. But I'll check it out for sure. For the price they're asking, they just wanna get off it quick.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow night.

I love the Euro stoves with the big glass. Gorgeous aesthetics.

An interesting tidbit - how many parts on the 8142 parts list?

Yikes.

Well I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, the guy was lying through his teeth.
It wasn't an 8142, it was a 4600.
It wasn't "2 years old and only used a few times", it had been run really hard for alot longer than that.
The whole thing had been repainted with an ugly black semigloss paint.
I'll let someone else have fun with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.