cement block hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

greythorn3

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2007
Alaska
wheelordie.com
anyone know the r value of cement blocks, or them pavers home depot sells, i think the pavers are solid and 2" thick, the cement blocks are hollow but really tall..

was thinking of laying these down on the carpet then morter cement board to them then tile over that for my hearth this time,

gotta make a good one since the nc 30 has that high r value for hearth.

Why dont you cut the carpet and go down to the subfloor?

i might, its wood under there tho. so it shouldnt matter.

weatherguy said:
Why dont you cut the carpet and go down to the subfloor?

+1 Cut the carpet..

Ray

greythorn3 said:
i might, its wood under there tho. so it shouldnt matter.

The carpet won't be any good afterward anyway, so you might as well remove it. You want a firm surface, not one that can shift.

ya i probably will remove it, seems the tall hollow concrete blocks are allot better r value then them solid paving bricks.. so i will probabyl be going with them then cement board over and then tile that. thanks for that chart link!

Creekyphil said:
If I'm reading the manual on Englander's site correctly, then a layer of 8 inch block with one sheet of cement board would take you over the R1.5 thats required.

ya im thinking, layer it like this

cement blocks

concrete board

tiles on top

that would get my nc30 higher up to better view and load, and give me a easy hearth to make that i would be comfortable with the safety

also woudl run cement board to the ceilings in the corner and tile over it also with a 1"+ airspace behind it. for looks and some protection of the sheetrock

thinking about using that pretty slate tile

Status
Not open for further replies.