Chimney Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blakesavage20

Oct 22, 2009
Illinois
Hey all, I am getting ready to install a Drolett wood burning insert into my current fireplace, but wanted to double check a couple of things first. My current chimney is lined with 1 to 1.5 inch clay. I plan on installing a flexible chimney pipe from the insert through the chimney. My question is, do I need to line the chimney with anything first, or does the current clay setup suffice? I saw one person wrap his flexible chimney pipe with insulation, is this something I also need to do? What is the purpose of the insulation? Any help would be great, thanks.

I'm no expert. but what ive read about the liners is that you need to insulate if its an out side chimney.

How big is your flu, that will determine first if you can even add insulation. Insulation is added to bring a chimney up to code, and also in order to help create a better system which will maintain less cresote. Your current clay would need to be inspected to see if their are any cracks in the current flu

Good questions. Give the Guide to Residential Wood Heating and the link on chimney lining best practices linked below in my signature a read. They should give you a good start on making the right decisions. That, and post away with any specifics that you are thinking of.

If you post a description of your chimney set up (pics are good help), you'll be sure to get some extra input.

Status
Not open for further replies.