Chimney vent install aesthetics, practical

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

roggering

Dec 21, 2022
South Carolina
Looking for advice on an existing side wall thimble.

I was told doing a pipe going around the outside soffit would look ugly and it would look better if it went through the soffit.

1. Challenges of going around the soffit is supporting the pipe with elbow too close to the tee. Looking at the pipe lengths required in the photo.
2. Going through the soffit center is flashing challenge because of being close to edge plus ridge center.
3. Another option is Moving the stove over off center and going straight up into the roof on one side. Is an off centered hearthstone stove ok visually ok? or is a center pipe going up better then offsetting to the side through the roof.

What is considered more esthetically pleasing especially in resale? Thank you for your feedback.

chimneymiddle.jpg chimneyinside.jpg

What will be passing through this thimble, Class A chimney pipe or ??
What are it's clearances from the surrounding framing?

In general terms, it's better to go up through the roof, keeping the stovepipe in the house envelope, even if an offset is required. Aesthetically it also looks better than a pipe poking out the side of the house.

What will be passing through this thimble, Class A chimney pipe or ??
What are it's clearances from the surrounding framing?

In general terms, it's better to go up through the roof, keeping the stovepipe in the house envelope, even if an offset is required. Aesthetically it also looks better than a pipe poking out the side of the house.
the diagram is missing if I choose to go around the soffit. That is the dilemma.

OK, so what we currently see would be replaced. It's definitely a more complicated installation and much more expensive, especially with a long tee leg for cleaning. Personally, I would put in a cathedral ceiling support box in the roof and not run out the wall.

Looking for advice on an existing side wall thimble.

I was told doing a pipe going around the outside soffit would look ugly and it would look better if it went through the soffit.

1. Challenges of going around the soffit is supporting the pipe with elbow too close to the tee. Looking at the pipe lengths required in the photo.
2. Going through the soffit center is flashing challenge because of being close to edge plus ridge center.
3. Another option is Moving the stove over off center and going straight up into the roof on one side. Is an off centered hearthstone stove ok visually ok? or is a center pipe going up better then offsetting to the side through the roof.

What is considered more esthetically pleasing especially in resale? Thank you for your feedback.

View attachment 305790 View attachment 305791
How far off the ground is that thimble? How will you service it if it's very high?

OK, so what we currently see would be replaced. It's definitely a more complicated installation and much more expensive, especially with a long tee leg for cleaning. Personally, I would put in a cathedral ceiling support box in the roof and not run out the wall.
Thank you for the feed back. With the cathedral support box approach and since I have a ridge beam in the middle, would it look better to shift the stove off center and have a straight pipe? or to center the stove and shift the pipe over off center toward the top or bottom to one side?

Inside about 12 feet up. prob 14 outside from the ground
Yeah don't do that. It will be a real pain in the ass to service go straight up and out the roof or out the wall lower

Yeah don't do that. It will be a real pain in the ass to service go straight up and out the roof or out the wall lower
Thanks, I was told that also, pain to go up to inspect and clean the tee. either was told to lower a pipe down from the tee 4 feet and bottom cap it if going forward. What do you think looks better if going straight if you have cabin that has a ridge beam?

Thanks, I was told that also, pain to go up to inspect and clean the tee. either was told to lower a pipe down from the tee 4 feet and bottom cap it if going forward. What do you think looks better if going straight if you have cabin that has a ridge beam?
Just to the side of the ridge beam just make sure it's far enough off center to make the flashing work

Moving the stove to the side with a straight pipe all the way? or centering the stove shifting the pipe over at either at the top?
I would go straight pipe. Off set the stove and balance it visually with a tool set wood storage etc