Cons to having an O.A.K.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trag, save your energy brotha. Everyone has their own take or opinion, and some may need the AOK, other may not.
I have electric DHW, and drier, so competition for inside air is not a problem. You have given some numbers by people that did studies.
As seen, your not going to get a reply with fact or studies etc., merely speculative debate over & over, with no substance. And I was told I repeatedly posted, at a whole 3 posts of debate before.
Don't feed the trolls bro. There are pluses and minuses to AOK, cats vs no cats & caps vs no caps. Each depends on the set up, situation and user. There is no general set up or conditions that can be met from one home to another, as all have their differences. Some folks just can't comprehend that, and they know all and are always right, regardless.

The title is was:Cons to having an O.A.K.
The folks that are pro AOK, don't want to see anything that may suggest possibly they or others may not need AOK.
I am not for or against, as I don't need it. But if for some reason I did, I would just add one.
Stating a con as to not having one is not participating to the original question, and that poster should have started his/her own thread title, pros of having an AOK or cons to not having an AOK. Of course the debate would surely just continue on.

One con to having an AOK, especially from a crawlspace is: Crawl spaces EVEN WHEN VENTED, contain more moisture than conditioned space. If dirt floor, certainly more moisture than say concrete, but concrete will also wick moisture into the space, and if there is any cracks in the field or even around the edges of the concrete you could be pulling more moisture into the firebox which has to be heated and dispersed, hence wasting energy to do this. It may be minimal, but it is an obvious fact. If the crawl space is moist enough, you may be pulling mold spores, mildew etc into the stove. While fired, maybe not a big deal. When stove is not in use, may or may not be a big deal, but theoretically extra moisture added to a steel environment, is sure to equal more oxidation, rust, and possibly an environment for again mold, mildew etc.
Again, may or may not be an issue.

One last con to note: if pulling from outside not so much a problem. If pulling from a crawlspace, you could be pulling radon into your firebox. And if not running stove, as newer stoves don't completely close air off, you could be leaking radon into your home. Maybe its venting right up the stack, maybe not if warm enough temps and back drafting occurring. Maybe an issue, maybe not. But certainly food for thought.

The original poster, asked a legit question. Which may or may not have gotten legitimate answers.
But at this point, this post belongs in the ash can, or closure. I leave that to the mods.
Debate on my fellow burners.

Anyone that may find particular offense to my postings, I am sorry, PM me and I'll not so politely tell you what you can do to yourself in the privacy of the PM.
Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.