Deciding on a Cat Stove - Progress Hybrid vs BK Princess/Chinook 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The sides of a cast iron clad steel stoves have the same gentle warmth. And a trivet top makes a light touch painless and not skin singing. However, touch the door on any of these stoves and it's going to be skin burning hot.

I try not to touch a hot woodstove but have been amazed at how many people will come in to warm their hands by the stone stove and then touch it and aren't burned badly but I have to laugh at them for it. The polished stone of a hearthstone looks so much like the now common and cold granite countertops that people just want to put their hands on it out of habit.

Yeah, not to encourage touching the stove... But, steel and cast iron transmit heat much faster than stone at the same temperature. So, a brief touch of the stone at 500 is not going to burn you. Steel and cast iron, very possible. You can wave your hand through flame at much, much higher temperatures and not get burned becuase gases aren't very good at transmitting heat.

Reactions: Ashful
I haven't had a lot of experience with my Woodstock Progress Hyrbrid, I just had it installed this spring. I'm also a newbie to wood stoves. I finally was able to have a few little burn in fires, and I'm in love with my stove. The new cook top for it just came today, and I'm very impressed. It was super easy to change out, and looks fantastic! The quality and customer service of Woodstock are second to none. I can't wait for this winter, it's going to be FUN! :)

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.