Decisions, Decisions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fraxinus

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
coastal Maine
First, a public thank you to BeGreen who has already answered some personal messages about this issue. The tax credit is such an opportunity, I am on the verge of replacing my beloved original Defiant. I have narrowed my choices to three stoves: the Jotul Oslo, Jotul Firelight, and Pacific Energy Aderlea T6. So any replies to the following questions would be much appreciated.

The best choice for the hearth space I have would be the Oslo, in large part because of the left side door. The Defiant was/is rated at 60k btu's. The Oslo is rated at 70k. Given the variables involved, I want to be sure, though, that the Oslo can really produce as much heat as the Defiant. Can it?

The right side loading door is the main problem with the Firelight. I cannot extend the hearth on the right side enough to get the 18" clearance. My reading of the Jotul manual seems to say that if the right side door is locked, you can ignore the 18" requirement. Am I correct in this? It is also possible to gain the 18" on the right by placing the Firelight at an angle to the chimney. This means using two 90 degree elbows - exactly the set up I have had for 30+ years with the Defiant. Does anyone see a problem with this?

There are many things I like a great deal about the T6. I am, however, pretty much addicted to that blast of radiant heat that comes from a cast iron stove. My understanding is that with the T6 the outer cast iron surface remains relatively cool and heats much more by convection than radiation, thus none of that welcome blast of heat on a near 0 day. Is this accurate?

Many thanks in advance for your input.

You will get your radiant fix right through the glass in the door frax. These puppies put out some major radiant heat from the front.

The T6 will take 2-3 hrs to get all the cast iron fully up to temp. Once the stove's been running all day at 5-600, there will be plenty of radiant heat coming from it, especially from the front as BB noted. It's a softer heat from the sides than the Defiant, but the room is still getting filled with a lot of btus. If you are looking for a stylish, more radiant big boy without the side door issue, perhaps consider the Quadrafire Isle Royale?

Its going hard to find a stove that blasts the radiant heat like your old parlor furnace. The new stoves all have a lined firebox to keep firebox temps up. Welcome to the new age EPA approved stoves.But you will still get good radiant heat from the glass and a steady heat off the sides and top.
I just rebuilt a 1975 one pc. back Defiant for a customer and it heats like a champ.You have to convrt it too a two pc back and put on a new left door side.$500.00 in parts and about 8 hours and you have a new stove.
Best of luck on your stove quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.