Definition of "Smoldering fire", please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish somebody made an inexpensive probe type thermometer for single wall pipe. I think it would be more accurate than a magnetic type that reads so indirectly. You can get an electronic k type thermocouple setup, but it's expensive.

Condar makes a probe one but it is not accurate for single wall application. I asked them about that.
Thanks. Maybe I'll just wait for the warm snap to end this week and start to play "get to know your wood stove" over the next several months. :) I'll see if I can work that pipe surface temp higher.

Thanks. Maybe I'll just wait for the warm snap to end this week and start to play "get to know your wood stove" over the next several months. :) I'll see if I can work that pipe surface temp higher.
You may be able to find some information about the relationship between single wall surface temps and flue gas temps on the web somewhere. I've never looked, but there may be some conversion factor that would be useful.

Reactions: TooColdHere
You may be able to find some information about the relationship between single wall surface temps and flue gas temps on the web somewhere. I've never looked, but there may be some conversion factor that would be useful.
I always just doubled the surface temp to get the inside temp for a guesstimate.

You have a probe right?
Do you have dw or single?

I always just doubled the surface temp to get the inside temp for a guesstimate.

You have a probe right?
Do you have dw or single?
I have a surface magnetic Condar thermometer on single wall. Would rather a probe if any exist for single wall and are accurate.

I have a surface magnetic Condar thermometer on single wall. Would rather a probe if any exist for single wall and are accurate.
Yeah..I was asking Sprinter though..lol.
I would assume he has DW, Just was curious what the probe would read compared to a bi metal on the outside...but i don't think anybody uses a probe with single..i dunno.

Reactions: TooColdHere
Yeah..I was asking Sprinter though..lol.
I would assume he has DW, Just was curious what the probe would read compared to a bi metal on the outside...but i don't think anybody uses a probe with single..i dunno.
Mine is double wall and I have the Condar Fluegard probe. It is bimetal, but it's bound to be more accurate than a surface mounted magnetic. I'm unaware of any probes made for single wall. Surface temps on double wall would be useless.

Mine is double wall and I have the Condar Fluegard probe. It is bimetal, but it's bound to be more accurate than a surface mounted magnetic. I'm unaware of any probes made for single wall. Surface temps on double wall would be useless.
Right!

I get away with single wall on my 5ft run to the class a which runs through my second story walk in closet then the attic then maybe 3.5 ft out the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.