1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Do i always have to have a roaring fire?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Chrism, Nov 15, 2011.

1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    That would be the Portal to Hell . . . ;) :)

As mentioned there is also the lazy Northern Lights (aka Ghost Flames) which either flicker in and out or just kind of dance lazily at the top of the firebox and the BBQ Gas Grill Effect of blue jets of flame shooting out the secondary burn tubes.

Seeing no smoke out of the chimney as you mentioned is also a good sign.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Well stated . . .

Also, before I forget, I prefer Condar thermos . . . got a magnetic mount on the stove and a probe style for my double wall pipe . . . I know the magnetic Condar was spot on with temp when compared to the IR gun . . . maybe 25-50 degrees difference.

The thing with any thermo though is to treat it more like a gauge vs. an absolute . . . you know . . . your car registers half a tank of gas . . . it doesn't show that you have 9.3 gallons of fuel . . . but your speedometer registers the exact speed (well maybe not calibrated . . . but you get the point) . . . in the same way I approach the temps on my thermos as giving me a general idea or guideline as to where my temps are . . . in other words . . . I wouldn't trust them and their readings if I was making a souffle and temps were critical.
  3. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    That would work . . . just don't stuff it to the gills as mentioned earlier . . . and save some for later use . . . great kindling . . . or for use with marginal semi-seasoned wood.
  4. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    i mean a "relatively" quick hot fire, starting with kindling as normal but instead of loading big long burning logs would load smaller splits which will burn up a bit quicker but we wouldnt be looking at a massively hotter fire just a sprint fire to heat the stove and the stove would then heat up the room some but not run you outta there
  5. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line
    Well, the souffle makers of the world are numerous, so they must make decent thermometers for them to use. I just think it's too bad they won't come out with a good one for stoves (never used the Condars, maybe they are good), how hard could it be? I'd pay $50 for an accurate one, but I guess the demand at that price would not be that great in general. Seems to be quite a demand for $50 IR thermos just looking at the marketplace, though.
  6. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western North Carolina
  7. cptoneleg

cptoneleg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia

Do exactly that, usually with this weather, evening fire her up, mornings fire her up, burn down . nice and warm

Yours Truely,
    Firewood Scientist
  8. Battenkiller

Loc:
    ???

The comment was directed at Mike Houlton of Englander stoves, and it was meant in earnest. I have no idea why you played with the quotation boxes to make it look otherwise, but that ain't cool, dude. :mad:

As far as defending BB against any barbs, I think the guy is quite capable of that himself without your help.
  9. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western North Carolina
    Just getting to the point is all. No harm no foul.
  10. Chrism

Chrism Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Well had the stove goin brought it up to temp according the stove top thermometer 400 was good no smoke comin out of the chimney and nice and warm!! That stove top thermometer made it a lot easier !! Thanks
  11. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Once you get used to the stove you can throw the thermometer away but they are still fun to watch, I like shiny objects any way.
  12. Battenkiller

Loc:
    I've found that shiny objects are the best way to get my wife up to temperature as well. %-P
  13. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I still find it is useful to have the thermo around . . . while one can get used to what to expect and the corresponding temps, once in a while things can be a bit wonky and you can get fooled . . . I know I've been fooled before by seeing a fire and expecting it to be a lot less hot than it was in actuality . . . and vice versa.
  14. Chrism

Chrism Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Yeah jake I realized that last night lol