1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Do i always have to have a roaring fire?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Chrism, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrism

Chrism Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    My Isle Royale is an animal !! When I put a couple logs in and get a bed of hot coals in it after 1 to 2 hrs my house is 80. Sometimes I would like to have a small fire just to take the chill out of the air but I see a thin shiny black coating on the inside of my stove in some spots. Any infor about this and what to do ?? Thank you.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    For the small fires on warmer days, get a hot fire going with small splits and keep the primary air open for a longer time - I rarely shut the air completely for this type of burn - perhaps 1/3 open. I assume you have good dry wood. Cheers!
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Fact of life. If a small fire deposits black stuff in your stove, the wood ain't dry.
  4. Chrism

Chrism Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    My wood was split since april ?????
  5. Chrism

Chrism Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Ok Bart so how often should I inspect my chimney to clean it ? I have metalbestos double insulated chimney.
  6. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I've burned ash (which comes off the stump drier than many species) seasoned for 7 mo's and it wasn't ready yet. That stuff sat for a year in rounds prior to that. Really takes at LEAST a full year for most species, 2 or more if OAK.

pen
  7. North of 60

North of 60 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    Thats only 8 months max. What type of wood. Pine=yes, Oak=No
  8. pen

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I'm not BB, but inspection should happen monthly until you get a grip on things. Clean as necessary. Perhaps monthly until you know how much accumulation you have vs what you are looking at.

pen
  9. Chrism

Chrism Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Oak, black walnut, maple. I'm guessin my wood isn't seasoned yet
  10. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Bingo! As other's stated - be careful with the flue - check often and clean often if needed. If possible, order next year's wood now - best way to get quality wood is to put time on your side. Cheers!
  11. pen

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Doesn't make you a bad guy. Just puts you where most of us were at one point in history.

What sort of stove top temps are you seeing?

pen
  12. Chrism

Chrism Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Don't know yet the local stove shop didn't have the stove thermometer in stock will be in this week. I was told to run my isle royale at 500 to 600 ???
  13. North of 60

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    If you don't have the room to store a few years of that fancy wood on your property, try collecting all the unwanted pine and such. At least it will be ready when needed. ;-)
  14. Chrism

Chrism Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Well I have the room but its all I have this year. If I monitor my chimney once a month and clean it will I be ok to burn it ?
  15. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

You can get a stove top thermometer at ACE, Lowes, Home Depot.

A thermometer during your first year really helps take the guess work out of things.
  16. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

You should be just fine. You'll probably just have a little more build up than normal, but sometimes things happen where the build up is a lot worse for whatever reason. The additional checking and cleaning is precautionary and a piece of mind.
  17. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Yes, you'll be okay - just be safe and monitor often. Cheers!
  18. North of 60

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    Hell ya you can burn it. As Browning & NH says, keep an eye on it more often. Lots of people just cut their wood yesterday and are starting it with gasoline today. Looks like you are paying lots of attention to it. Lots dont and they still live. :lol:
    Cheers
  19. Chrism

Chrism Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Yeah I'm sure people don't pay attention, I love my wife and son too much not to!! God for bid if something happen cause of me being lazy ! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure words to live by when it comes to fire while your sleeping!!
  20. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line
    Fact of life. Small startup fires are the least efficient and dirtiest burns in any stove. Especially an EPA stove, which only achieves it's clean burning by the introduction of hot secondary combustion air. No secondaries, no clean burn.

From Paul Tiegs at OMNI:

No offense meant, big dude, but if your gonna tell a guy his wood ain't dry, go to his house and test it yourself. Determining the MC in someone's wood stack based on the what he describes inside his firebox is patently absurd IMO.
  21. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    Smaller fires behave differently and usually happen when the temperatures are higher outside.

It will be easier for you to dial in efficient smaller fires when you get your thermometer.
  22. oldspark

oldspark Guest

BK- this forum tells everyone their wood is not dry enough and its right most of the time. ;-)
  23. Milton Findley

Milton Findley Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Wouldn't argue with the statement, but I am burning dry pellets in my stove, very dry pellets. If I don't burn it hot enough or long enough, it looks just like I have been burning poorly seasoned wood. BK has a point, I mean, other than the one on the top of his head. ;-)
  24. pen

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    W/ dry wood 3 med pieces will get great secondary action and a hot stove top. I don't see any problem w/ having a small fire and a clean burn.

pen
  25. oldspark

oldspark Guest

I agree but that is the dirtiest part of the burn, the cold startup.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.