Do I have to use a fire stop in a bungalow?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DD33

Jan 25, 2011
N. Ireland
I am looking to install a multi fuel stove in our kitchen/living area. We removed the chimney breast a couple of years ago but the chimney still remains just above the ceiling in our bungalow.

I have planned a 6" single flue from from the stove up to a class 1 twin insulated flue which is around 7 to 8 inches below the ceiling. The class 1 is a metre long and goes into the block chimney in the roofspace. The class 1 then connects to flexi up to the chimney pot where if will attached a new cowl on top of the pot.

The advice I am looking is regarding a fire stop. Do I need a firestop around the class 1 going through the ceiling remembering that the class 1 goes through the ceiling and into our chimney in the roofspace.

If i do need a fire stop does it have to be ventilated? I imagine there would be a very cold draught coming through it from our attic.

Can I just not just use the trim shown in the picture I have attached?

Thank you for all your help

Attachments

• 326-660-large.jpg
    326-660-large.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 157
Welcome DD33. We can't comment on your local requirements in Ireland. The first place to start would be with the local building authorities. Although it would initially cost a little more, I would be inclined to entirely remove the brick chimney and run metal pipe all the way. But there may be cost effective options if this is not possible. One thing to look into is connecting to a metal liner inside the block chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.