1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Do you hate your Ash Pan + Poll

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Pallet Pete, Oct 31, 2012.

?

How about that ash pan? Do you...

1. Love it, use it all the time

60.7%
  2. Like it and use it occasionally

1.6%
  3. Don't use it although the stove has one

18.0%
  4. Tried it and don't like it

14.8%
  5. Use it for a bun warmer

4.9%
  1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Neither do I.

Pete

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    The secret to low ash is to go sloooowly lol and no sneezing! ;) Slide the ashes off the shovel directly on the bottom.. It works..

Ray
  3. chipsoflyin

chipsoflyin Member

Loc:
    nw ohio
    Whatever
  4. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Chip welcome to the forum! Backwoods Savage is a very knowledgeable down to earth wood burner. I have met him and his wife at the Woodstock soapstone factory and they are very nice people. I believe Pete has met him as well and can vouch for him along with Zap, Pen, Gamma Ray and others and they will tell you the same thing. Sometimes text comes across the wrong way..

Ray
    Todd 2, BrowningBAR and milleo like this.
  5. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Since I'm stuck with no ash pan I might as well make the best of it so I'm looking for better tools. I have some stainless sheet steel so I'm going to fashion a pan that is pretty low, maybe 4" deep, and long to give me plenty of room to slide the ashes off the shovel. But the shovel is my main problem now. It's a standard black little coal shovel but the surface has started to rust through and I can no longer slide the ashes off smoothly....they stick and it's hard to dump 'em. I may take some of that stainless sheet and make a shovel from it as well...
    I saw some talk on here a while back about them maybe coming out with an ash pan for the Fireview. Would probably require a new bottom for the stove so I don't think it would be cheap. The Fireview, with a good ash pan and a big window, would be the perfect stove for me...
    raybonz likes this.
  6. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    As someone that has gotten many nasty private messages in regards to this, I can confirm this.
    ditchrider likes this.
  7. Huntindog1

Huntindog1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central Indiana
    Browning Bar after being on this board for a while people get used to you, I think its a generation gap thing. :p
    Todd 2 and raybonz like this.
  8. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Hopefully not from me! :p

Ray
  9. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Not yet! ;lol
    raybonz likes this.
  10. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    All in good time BB .. all in good time lol ==c
  11. BucksCounty

BucksCounty Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    I hate the ash pans on both. Glad there are more out there. Sometimes I used them (mainly when cold), usually just scoop out. Just always weary about embers.
  12. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Embers have proven deadly in fact a few notable disasters last winter come to mind so I did something about it. I asked my daughter for a shiny metal trash can with cover for Christmas which I placed on 3 bricks located about 20' from my house. I place my ashes in this barrel and sleep better at night. If I get ice I spread ashes on them for traction.

Ray
  13. moburns

moburns New Member

Loc:
    Central Maryland
    I don't use the ash pan on my stove and i have a pellet stove lol. I use a shop vac. I worked at a store that had lots of woodstoves and I didn't understand the desire for the ash pan.
  14. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    When I dump my ash bucket I will water it until it is good and soaked. I probably look like a crazed fool watering dirt in my bathrobe when it's 20 degrees out. But, I don't have to worry about burning something down.
    WellSeasoned, raybonz and ditchrider like this.
  15. ditchrider

ditchrider Burning Hunk

Loc:
    North central, CO
    I didn't like it on the Heritage, nor the Mansfield I currently burn. A waste of engineering and waste of materials. When it gets right down to it that cost is passed onto the customer for a feature that really isn't a feature.

The Heritage had a lever in the ash pan compartment and a tool that you could open the grate with. That was okay, but we didn't use it much. The pan was small. The Mansfield grate I have to stick a poker into the firebox and open the grate, rather blindly.

As i indicated earlier, I think Hearthstone could lower their pricing just by leaving it out. It's a great thought. It just doesn't pan out.
    raybonz likes this.
  16. milleo

milleo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maine
    The one thing that turned me off about the Vista stove was the way you had to open a little port hole thing and push ashes in. I could see that would be a pain.
  17. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

I asked for the very same thing Ray ! That can has really been nice too. I used the ashes in spring when I planted grass in some dead spots in the yard which worked well until our 50000000 degree summer forced me to water them.

Pete
    raybonz likes this.
  18. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    This post needs a picture . . . on second thought . . . maybe it doesn't. ;) :)
    ditchrider likes this.
  19. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    I just dropped in at the store where I bought my stove - the usual collection of wood burning stuff on display in the main isle. Including a ShopVac ash vacuum (stainless steel).
    http://www.shopvac.com/wet-dry-vacs/vac-details.aspx?vacId=374&vacSKU=404-11-00
    I didn't know they made such a thing. Not suggesting this would be the way to clean hot ash from a lit stove box, but what about vacuuming up the occasional hot ember around the live hearth? Anyone have any thoughts on this product?

edit - just now seeing the bold print "for cold ashes only" on their site. Do those of you who use a shop vac to clean up just use your regular vac, or a (stainless) steel model like the one above?
  20. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I hope it was just a poor choice of words but I definitely see your point.
  21. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Not every ash emptying is perfect and dust free. Sometimes I'll go for too large a load on the shovel and a little bit will spill. Or sometimes I am in a bit too much of a hurry. It happens. And almost always there is a little cloud of dust that gets airborne as I gently dump it into the metal ash can, especially if it's empty. I now try to have the shop vac running with the nozzle near the can's edge to suck up that dust cloud.
  22. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    [​IMG]
  23. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

You do that in your shorts ? Man your crazy ! Wait a minute without shorts ! What is wrong with you ? !!! You need some :ZZZ
  24. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    The "ash cloud" is also why I prefer to remove ashes when there are coals left in the stove (stove still warm) as there will still be an established draft. As such, if I keep the mouth of the bucket I am moving ashes into right near the opening into the stove, the cloud gets sucked up the chimney.

pen
    BrowningBAR and raybonz like this.
  25. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I try to do that too, but my "bucket" is a 10 gallon galvanized garbage can which is big enough to get in the way. Maybe I need a smaller interim ash bucket?
    raybonz likes this.