Dogs loving stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
After a cold day in the first snowfall - the boys relaxed by their new wood stove

Attachments

• 52549_472941321472_763626472_5329237_5119363_o.jpg
    52549_472941321472_763626472_5329237_5119363_o.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 737
They too are smart enough to enjoy that heat!

thats a cool pic. my wife and i have just started to think about a dog. got a kid on the way in may and we'd like to get it before the kid arrives. then there will be 3 kids in the me the dog and the kid.

Although our miniature Dachshund enjoys the stove too, it's the cat that's in love with it. She goes into a deep, comatose state any time it's above 300F on the stove top. And she chooses to do so in my recliner.

My cats live in front of the woodstove . . . I often have to move them out of the way to reload the stove . . . one cat even uses the hearth as a pillow.

My dog also loves the wood stove.

I think my dog has an unhealthy relationship with the insert. She lays right on the hearth for hours, way inside the combustibles clearances. At reload time she makes an annoyed groaning noise when I tell her to get out of the way. Kinda like she's mumbling something under her breath about how she likes the stove so much more than her owner...
I got curious the other day after feeling how hot her stove-side fur was, so I shot her with the IR thermometer. Highest reading was 168 °F !! I'm not even burning full loads yet. Does anyone know the spontaneous ignition temperature of a dog?

midwestcoast said:
I think my dog has an unhealthy relationship with the insert. She lays right on the hearth for hours, way inside the combustibles clearances. At reload time she makes an annoyed groaning noise when I tell her to get out of the way. Kinda like she's mumbling something under her breath about how she likes the stove so much more than her owner...
I got curious the other day after feeling how hot her stove-side fur was, so I shot her with the IR thermometer. Highest reading was 168 °F !! I'm not even burning full loads yet. Does anyone know the spontaneous ignition temperature of a dog?

Hehheh . . . reminded me of an incident a few weeks ago when we had some friends over and one of our cats headed behind the stove where she likes to curl up and sleep . . . they were yelling for the cat to come out since they were afraid she would burst into flame.

I got curious the other day after feeling how hot her stove-side fur was, so I shot her with the IR thermometer. Highest reading was 168 °F !! I'm not even burning full loads yet. Does anyone know the spontaneous ignition temperature of a dog?[/quote]

Yikes, my cat was 120* the other night and I thought that was hot.

ecocavalier02 said:
thats a cool pic. my wife and i have just started to think about a dog. got a kid on the way in may and we'd like to get it before the kid arrives. then there will be 3 kids in the me the dog and the kid.

Congratulations on the baby! I love babies and dogs. I would recommend finding an older (3-6 years old) dog that is good with kids and friendly and playful. I'm personally terribly fond of Golden Retrievers and Labs. Here's my toddler with my dog-
c3598faa.jpg

Go to a shelter that has a play yard and find the one that comes to you and that likes to played with, likes to be petted, doesn't mind being roughhoused with but doesn't snap, stuff like that.

~Rose

kayakkeith said:
After a cold day in the first snowfall - the boys relaxed by their new wood stove

My two boxers are the same way. There are days in the winter when they won't move from the front of the stove for nothing. There are even times I join em and fall asleep. Gotta love them

midwestcoast said:
I think my dog has an unhealthy relationship with the insert. She lays right on the hearth for hours, way inside the combustibles clearances. I shot her with the IR thermometer. Highest reading was 168 °F !! I'm not even burning full loads yet. Does anyone know the spontaneous ignition temperature of a dog?

I am fairly sure my female golden would not only survive, but probably enjoy/absorb the heat wave from a small thermonuke..

Converting it directly into "nap energy", which seems to be her superpower.

My Wheaten Terrier wants nothing to do with the insert. He likes it cold--his bed is next to the slider to the deck and he'll sleep there for hours, even in the middle of winter.

It's just dipping into the upper 30's here in the SE of Mass, stove is cruising at about 375 and both K-9's are parked, They're coats are so warm when you touch them. I wonder if the stove temps affect their 'conditioning' to the cold when they are outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.