Draft ... your opinion .... some ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sebring

Oct 3, 2011
PA
Hey guys,

First ever post, have been reading ever since I bought my Englander NC-30 a couple months ago.

Here is my situation. I live in an old house.. I mean OLD, OLD. Basically a log house built by amish people long ago. I have a chimney going up the middle of the 2 story house. There was a fireplace on the first floor, that was sealed up with huge stones to match, but I could tell there was a fireplace there once.

In the basement I have the Englander-30. The 6" pipe goes into the chimney and ends. I'd guess the inside diameter is maybe 16" by 30" the whole way to the top.

The draft is ok, but still smoke comes out the door when I load wood. And when I clamp the door down tight the fire has trouble staying going.

What would you recommend? I could get the class-A chimney pipe and run it up the inside my chimney and out the top a bit. But that seems expensive, considering I already have a chimney. Would 6" single wall stove pipe be ok to run from the stove up the chimney?

Do yourself, your family and your insurance co a favor and put in a proper 6" SS liner. The stove will perform much better. you'll be able to sleep better @night knowing your very,very,very old chimney is not going to let you down. Taking the inexpensive way out with the chimney is the same as taking the inexpensive way out with brakes and tires for your vehicle. your choice, your decision........................

A liner will solve your draft problem. Modern EPA stoves are designed to work best with a liner. That big old chimney just has too much volume to get much of a draft going with the relatively small airflow of an EPA stove.

Your set-up is known as a "slammer" installation..... i.e.- someone just slammed the stove in there and lit a match. Well, at least you have SOME pipe....but... not enough. Rotti is right - get a 6" SS liner - you can install it yourself - and sleep better at night.... and your stove will work correctly,as well!

stove pipe isn't going to work. Clean that old chimney well and install an insulated liner. How tall is that chimney in total? The diameter of that is really 16 inches! Good lord, it's a wonder that stove burns at all! Considering that, I'd assume there is no tile liner in it, just brick?

I'd definitely agree with the others and say that the only way to operate that stove is w/ an insulated liner installed.

Once you know what you need, check out ebay for SS liners and you'll get an idea of general costs (not saying you should or shouldn't buy from them, just saying it's an easy place to "window shop".) Then call around / send inquiries to some of the vendors you can find online by searching and see what you come up with.

Best of luck and welcome! BE SAFE!

pen

sebring said:
Hey guys,

First ever post, have been reading ever since I bought my Englander NC-30 a couple months ago.

Here is my situation. I live in an old house.. I mean OLD, OLD. Basically a log house built by amish people long ago. I have a chimney going up the middle of the 2 story house. There was a fireplace on the first floor, that was sealed up with huge stones to match, but I could tell there was a fireplace there once.

In the basement I have the Englander-30. The 6" pipe goes into the chimney and ends. I'd guess the inside diameter is maybe 16" by 30" the whole way to the top.

The draft is ok, but still smoke comes out the door when I load wood. And when I clamp the door down tight the fire has trouble staying going.

What would you recommend? I could get the class-A chimney pipe and run it up the inside my chimney and out the top a bit. But that seems expensive, considering I already have a chimney. Would 6" single wall stove pipe be ok to run from the stove up the chimney?

Answer: Liner.

I wouldn't bother with the Class A chimney -- in this case this would be rather expensive. As for the single wall stove pipe . . . this isn't really what it is designed to do.

Sleep well and safe at night . . . and learn that it is possible to burn wood and not have all your furniture, rooms and clothing smell like half burned lumps of charcoal with a liner in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.