Dumb question but I've got to ask...(double pipe inside an old chimney)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
We have a Harman XXV pellet stove in the 1758 chimney of our house. To say I don't love it, pellets, pellet stove cleaning, noise, dust, etc. would be...accurate. :) The reason we put the pellet stove in there is because our chimney is old and not sound for fires - it's not lined and I'm uncertain of the condition of the construction, mortar etc. in there.

So I was wondering....if we wanted to replace that XXV with a wood stove...could we line the chimney with double wall pipe to ensure that the gases don't ever make the flue too hot? Or is that just not possible/bad idea?

So you understand my dilemma...when I look at my fireplace I can see a couple of timbers that were used to build the firebox...there's just some old wood stuck in there. Same with underneath in the crawlspace...some of the chimney is supported by wood layers. So I do not know if this continues all the way up into the chimney proper, or not...but I don't want to risk burning the house down.

Thanks for entertaining my brief insanity....

Mary

Most fireplaces are masonry, so if you have wood in yours you will have to take the clearance to combustibles into factor for whatever wood stove you get.

Most of us use flexible liner in our chimneys and some insulate that to help with draft or for keeping it in code.

Have a sweep come by and run a camera down it.

The solution after the chimney is cleaned and inspected, is an insulated liner.

Double wall rigid is great stuff if you can fit it in there.

We have a Harman XXV pellet stove in the 1758 chimney of our house. To say I don't love it, pellets, pellet stove cleaning, noise, dust, etc. would be...accurate. :) The reason we put the pellet stove in there is because our chimney is old and not sound for fires - it's not lined and I'm uncertain of the condition of the construction, mortar etc. in there.

So I was wondering....if we wanted to replace that XXV with a wood stove...could we line the chimney with double wall pipe to ensure that the gases don't ever make the flue too hot? Or is that just not possible/bad idea?

So you understand my dilemma...when I look at my fireplace I can see a couple of timbers that were used to build the firebox...there's just some old wood stuck in there. Same with underneath in the crawlspace...some of the chimney is supported by wood layers. So I do not know if this continues all the way up into the chimney proper, or not...but I don't want to risk burning the house down.

Thanks for entertaining my brief insanity....

Mary

It's not guaranteed to solve the problem the wood framing may pose, but a poured in place liner such as Supaflu would likely be a better option for an old unlined chimney than a steel liner. A poured in place liner would become an integral part of the chimney, filling any cracks or missing mortar. It is also self insulating. I'm not at all sure what the clearances to combustible framing may be, but it's certainly worth looking into this option.

Status
Not open for further replies.