Enamel Paint(problems) Jotul F 500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
Noticed paint coming off in some spots e-mailed these pictures to dealer this morning they called me and set up apointment to look Aug 16.

They actually look like chips, I saw one while dusting my stove this morning, then after more inspection I saw more, It was not there last burning season.

Posting to see if anyone else has had paint prob with their stove.

Attachments

• SDC10274.jpg
    SDC10274.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,352
  • SDC10275.jpg
    SDC10275.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,515
At first I thought someone had actually hit stove with something but there are plases that you cai't hit.

Attachments

• SDC10276.jpg
    SDC10276.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,126
  • SDC10277.jpg
    SDC10277.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,095
We were considering the brown enamel. I wish I could remember exactly what the dealer said when I bought my Oslo. Something about the process of the colored enamel being different than the blue/black therefore making it slightly more susceptible to cracks and chips? Maybe curing it for longer or something? Keep in mind, this is also just talk from the local dealer. Hopefully they take care of you. Please update when you here something. I'm curious.
Good luck.

Blue Vomit said:
We were considering the brown enamel. I wish I could remember exactly what the dealer said when I bought my Oslo. Something about the process of the colored enamel being different than the blue/black therefore making it slightly more susceptible to cracks and chips? Maybe curing it for longer or something? Keep in mind, this is also just talk from the local dealer. Hopefully they take care of you. Please update when you here something. I'm curious.
Good luck.

So you haven't purchased yet, I have no complaints with stove an excellent heater.

cptoneleg said:
Blue Vomit said:
Good luck.

So you haven't purchased yet, I have no complaints with stove an excellent heater.

sorry, I wasn't clear. We were considering the brown enamel. After consideration we did purchase the blue/black. It actually didn't have much to do with what the dealer said about the paint chipping. More esthetics.

Blue black is not a majolica porcelain process. It is tougher.

That said, this looks to be a defect. We have a 25 year old red, majolica enameled Jotul 602 that has not been babied and the finish is still in very good shape.

BeGreen said:
Blue black is not a majolica porcelain process. It is tougher.

That said, this looks to be a defect. We have a 25 year old red, majolica enameled Jotul 602 that has not been babied and the finish is still in very good shape.

cool, glad to hear my local dealer isn't talking out his a$$ and hopefully cptoneleg can get his defect taken care of under warranty.

Throwing his drink glass across the room at the stove is hard on the finish. :lol:

Best to keep out of the can then. It's easier on the blood pressure.

So much for smashing the wine glasses into the fireplace. Seriously, though, the blue black is not really an enamel, more of a paint and it is more durable. The actual porcelain enamel can be chipped (it's a baked on glass) but those pictures look like defects from when the enamel was applied. I have seen that before. If the cast iron wasn't prepped properly or the baking process wasn't done properly the enamel starts to flake off in chunks like that in some areas. If that's the case it should be a warranty issue.

Well this is only 0ne yr old this month and it has been babied, as a matter of fact I was dusting it at 6:00 am with a real soft cloth had q-tips to clean the hard to get to plases and then I saw it, then another, then another. And I have had plenty of drinks admiring it's beauty but havent thrown anything at it.

I will post 8-16 let you know what was said. But I wonder what do they do ,( if it is a warrenty issue) take it somewhere and repaint or what.

Thanks All

Unfortunately I think they are going to need to replace it. That's all I would settle for. If there was a contaminant in the glaze or in the metal prep, then this will only get worse.

The dealer just called to confirm apointment in the morning, so I hope they stand good on this, for me this was an expenceve investment. And only 1 yr old. Thanks for any suggestions.

Mickey

Thanks for posting this. Having my Jotul F600 installed next month and its being painted Mojave Red. Will make sure I look it over carefully.

Well they came by a day early they took lots of pictures, and pulled out alittle bottle of touchup paint. They started the touchup paint, and I said" this is not the fix I hope"
they said no, and they would report this to Jotul. They were real nice and I showed them this site, they were well aware of this site, so I took their pictures, (good place to document everything)
So I will keep you all informed on this:

NordicSplitter said:
Thanks for posting this. Having my Jotul F600 installed next month and its being painted Mojave Red. Will make sure I look it over carefully.

That's a "rattle can" color made by Stove Brite. You won't have any chipping issues.,
as it's not a baked on porcelain enamel...
It'll fade after a season or two, but for less than $10 per can you'll be able
to touch it up or for the price of TWO cans, repaint the entire thing...

NordicSplitter said:

I haven't even heard about red as one of the options are you having a special paint job.

My vendor...American Eagle Fireplace & Stoves offers about 30 different colors to paint the stove and the stack if wanted. Just didn't want to go with black.....That red will match my Roman shades and cherry dining room set nicely. The walls, carpet and furniture are all sandy beach. Should look nice together. Great thing is in a few years I can change the whole color scheme!

CP, is your stove green? I didn't know they still had that color. Mine is green, over 10 years old and after hundreds of days of a real hot fires, not a mark on it. At the time I purchased mine I thought all the colors were a vitreous enamel process. Hopefully yours is an isolated case or they have a problem. They will have to replace the stove and warranty it. Whats does the warranty say about the finish, or anything else?

Remember all the cars with the paint that came off the hoods and roofs, exposing the primer. I still see them around. As I recall, all the manufactures bought into and cheaper paint process. I don't think they fixed any of them.

Tom

xman23 said:
CP, is your stove green? I didn't know they still had that color. Mine is green, over 10 years old and after hundreds of days of a real hot fires, not a mark on it. At the time I purchased mine I thought all the colors were a vitreous enamel process. Hopefully yours is an isolated case or they have a problem. They will have to replace the stove and warranty it. Whats does the warranty say about the finish, or anything else?

Remember all the cars with the paint that came off the hoods and roofs, exposing the primer. I still see them around. As I recall, all the manufactures bought into and cheaper paint process. I don't think they fixed any of them.

Tom

Yes green, still waiting to hear from Jotul,( thru dealer ) And yes green is still an option.

I talked with dealer and they wanted to know what I wanted. I just said I wanted a new stove, I paid for anew stove and this is only one yr old. They touched up the bad places with paint in a little bottle looked like nail polish. And it doesn't look very good I guess I need to start reading my waranty book. What would any of you do?

Attachments

• SDC10294.jpg
    SDC10294.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 829
The enamel failure may continue to get worse if the base was not properly prepped. I would ask for a replacement or at least a written guarantee that if it gets worse it will be replaced quickly and without question.

I'd be shocked if the mfg replaced the stove - that just doesn't seem the norm for OEMs these days, maybe except for Woodstock. Satisfaction guaranteed as long as you are happy with your purchase.

I think they ought to replace your stove - or offer you a refund to get it fixed yourself, if you agree. Don't you pay extra for the enamel finish?

On the positive side of things, if Jotul does let you down, you got an otherwise bullet proof/great stove and being that it is enamel and not porcelain, you can touch it up for minimal $$'s.

Again, I think you should get a new stove.

Good luck,
Bill

This is a majolica porcelain enamel according to Jotul. I would classify this as a defect in workmanship. Unfortunately, without returning the stove Jotul is not going to be as aware of the issue. It may be unrelated, but I'm wondering if this has anything to Jotul sub-contracting casting to VC. This kind of peeling seems to have shown up on VC stoves, but the Jotuls of the past had excellent majolica finishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.