Final inspection very quick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DenD

Jun 7, 2006
CT
The building inspector just left my house after performing the final inspection of my Osburn 1600 insert. To my surprise, the whole inspection took about 2 minutes. He basically just eyeballed the insert and said it looked fine. He didn't ask if I installed myself or if it was done by a professional. He never looked behind the surround or up the chimney. Is this normal? The install was done by a local dealerthat has been in town for about 15 years, but I still was expecting a very thorough inspection. That being said, does anyone have suggestions for things that I should inspect myself? All of the clearances are fine, I did a lot of resarch on that subject. I just want to have peace of mind that everything is setup properly.
As always, thanks to everyone on this forum for such great advice.

My inspection was exactly the same. When the inspector showed up I had all the documentation ready to go as well as all the clearance info. He walked in, said "nice stove", looked at it. I showed him what I had, he didn't want to see it, he asked about the clearances (didn't actually measure), then left. Now granted I exceed all the clearances by inches, in some cases feet. I was relieved at first, then a bit disappointed. I had spent a lot of time and energy to get everything done right, I guess I just wanted to show it off.

Other than Elk and a few here and there, YOU know more about wood stoves and the like. That's the tough thing about inspectors. My head spins just from the amount of information available today about ANY product...can you imagine trying to know about ALL building products and what goes into a home or commercial/industrial building? Maybe someday inspectors will have to take the HPBA courses, but until then if you are hanging out here you are probably the "expert".

My inspector was pretty good so far. He noticed that there were not enough nails tying the ceiling joists to the rafters at the wall plate. Being a nice guy, he passed it and trusted me to put them in (which I did right away).

I want to think that if you have a Pine Baron stuffed in a pre-fab, he would have said more....

Hi -

Thanks for posting. My VC Resolute Acclaim is going in Thursday night when my buddies are available. The inspection is scheduled for Friday. It is a very simple install but I did stretch the chimney by 7', 4' brick and an additional 3' of Class A insulated chinmey. Should draft well.

I also scored another 4 trees from neighbors yesterday. Need to have them out by Summer '07. I've still got a cord down in the woods to pick up.

The new Dolmar 5100 saw is very quick and light.

I'll post the results next week.

ATB,
Mike P

Our inspection by the town building inspector (actually the alternate inspector I guess he said) took 5 minutes or less. Barely looked at anything, did measure from the front of the stove to the edge of the hearth, maybe one other thing, possibly to the ceiling, as we have quite a raised hearth. The woman who came out to check it out for our insurance company spent a lot more time looking around and measured a lot more things, and called back with another couple of questions. Where my father-in-law lives, about an hour north of us, more out in the country, he didn't even need a permit to put a corn stove into his place, so there was no inspection at all.

On my first stove install 20 years ago, the inspector in our township went up in the attic to check dead air spacing and into the crawl space to look at the support beams, signed off and said “ you are going to get a lot of heat out that stove with it in the middle of this open space. “and signed off on the permit. 30 minutes total

This year the same inspector was tough on the pre installation inspection; He wanted 18 inches of hearth in front of the stove, to know how the stove was to be attached to the liner, liner insulation and diagrams. He oked the plan. During the final inspection he did look into the back using a flashlight, saw what he wanted and said “that is a beautiful stove installation, good thing my wife hasn't seem it” and signed off on the permit. 40 minutes total both inspections total.

Status
Not open for further replies.