Finally a good, even burn from my Jotul 3CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2007
Chesepeake Bay
After years of complaining here and to anyone who would listen about the uneven, inefficient burn from my Jotul 3 and after lots of free advice including from the Jotul folks, I installed a cast-iron disc damper in my double-lined flue pipe about 5" above the stove
Once it is fired up and going, I close the disc damper completely and the difference is significant. The burn is slower, much more even and cyclical, predictable and consistant, with nice blue flames and even secondary burns that had been very few and far between previously The stovetop temp. is not that much hotter, maybe 50-70 degrees, criusing at @475, but the stove itself radiates significantly more heat and fuel burns much longer and more evenly. I use the primary air intake for what contol I feel I need and it is responsive. Magnetic stove pipe temps read between 150-200 degrees consistantly- though pipe is double walled. When I shut both dampers down for the night, the next morning nothing but ashes and clear glass.
Have I finally stumbled upon a solution to my problem or is there something lurking here about which I should beware? Thoughts here always helpful. Thanks

Make sure you don't start getting a creosote build up in your chimney, keep an eye on it and check often for awhile, sounds like it is running nice for you, good luck.

I would just check your pipes once a month just to be on the safe side for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.