1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Finally cold enough to burn a full load!!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by lopiliberty, Nov 24, 2012.

1. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    For the first time this burning season, it was cold enough to fill the liberty. Let the fire go out last night because I was to tired and lazy to fix the fire(I think every woodburner feels this way at some point) so it was out this morning. I started one this morning and built up a nice coal bed, raked them forward and load 6 splits of oak and locust at noon. Stove is still cruising at 650 and its a toasty 84 in here and 36 outside with snow showers. Its supposed to drop down to 20 tonight so hopefully i won't be to tired or lazy to fix the fire or I will wake up to a very cold house!
    corey21 and raybonz like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah I have my first all day load today. Windy and cold.
  3. laynes69

laynes69 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashland OH
    Last night was the largest load this season. Temps in the 20's with whipping winds. I believe the cold weather is here for the season.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Last night it was hot in here. Wife must have put too much wood in during the afternoon and some of it was really dry so it got hot. Before I went to bed I put in 1 round and 1 split. House was still nice and warm when we got up this morning. Put in 3 small splits when I got up and just a few minutes ago put in 3 more. House temperature is at 76 and climbing. Hopefully those 3 splits will burn down fairly decently before we go to bed and I'll probably put in 3 or 4 more tonight. Still no need to fill the stove but it won't be long before that cold air gets here and then we'll fill it every night.
  5. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Today was the first time I needed more than one medium breakfast load and a dinnertime load. Put in a couple splits at lunch to keep it warm, probably two more in an hour or so then fill it up around 9pm.

It was not super cold today.. 40s, but very windy and now the temp is crashing towards the 20s.
  6. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Been burning all day here.
  7. lopiliberty

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    To me thats alittle on the chilly side. Good thing the temperature is still climbing;)
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  8. OhioBurner©

OhioBurner© Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    I start out on day one with a fully packed stove. Unless I am sitting there at home all day I fully load it about every time. It doesnt really ever get above 70 inside, unless its over 50 outside.
  9. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    It is 81 in my house right now that is a nice temp.

still have not packed my stove yet.
  10. nate379

nate379 Guest

Been running the stove 24/7 for a while now. Just finished cleaning it out for the first time, had about 5 gals of ash. Starting to warm up a bit outside... I hope. Got up to 9* today.
  11. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Put in 3 splits at 6:30... 75f in here now,that's as hot as I can stand. Hope it cools down a bit so I can reload before bed.
  12. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    I would have to smoulder my stove if i could not stand 75.
    lopiliberty likes this.
  13. nate379

nate379 Guest

I'd have the windows open if it was over 75* in the house. I like to keep the bedroom in the mid 60s at the highest.
  14. lopiliberty

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    Well it just hit 92 in the living room, so I guess I'm retreating to the bedroom were its a little cooler, going to finish watching moonshiners(if I make it to the end) and hit the sack. All this heat sure does make a person very sleepy
  15. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    Been burning 24/7 for about a week. Let the stove go out yesterday (50 degrees outside) and did to load it this morning. Came home tonight to the awful smell of baseboard heat in the house.......I quickly remedied that problem.
  16. PLAYS WITH FIRE

PLAYS WITH FIRE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I have been loading my stove fuller this year than I have in the past 2...and I have come to a conclusion. The more you put in the longer it burns, amazing!
    I had a crap load of Burgundy Maple that my neighbor cut down late last winter. I didn't think it would season fast enough for the big stuff but there was tons of little stuff. The little stuff was great but the big stuff was pretty dry too. When dropped on the ground it sounded like 2x4's. Burns hot and fast so I mixed it with some ash and that was nice for shoulder. Now I load with ash, maple and like one split of 2 year old Osage. Wow, the stuff really burns like coal! One load in my insert of this mix in my insert gets me about 7 hours 450-500F.
    I'm happy, the wife's happy and most importantly the wife's cat is happy!
    Moral....load more burn longer(for me).
    lopiliberty likes this.
  17. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    I'd sweat to death... Hottest I ever got the stove room was 80, and I opened windows. Usually I aim for 74 or so, that will keep the rest of the house at 70. On a real cold (teens) night I may push it up to 75 or 76 to help keep the rest of the house warm.
  18. theonlyzarathu

theonlyzarathu Member

Loc:
    Bar Harbor, Maine
    You guys/gals need to move some place where you can start burning the stove in September, and not end until mid May.
  19. lopiliberty

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    I do start in September but I'm usually done by the end of April
  20. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    I have had one or 2 loads in the stove, should of not loaded it that full but did. I have got the stove room (450sqft) to warm the last few days it being 80+ in here. The bedroom has been 70, last night I almost had to open a window in the bedroom. The times it was too hot I messed up and put some good dry oak on or loaded up to much elm. I need to be mixing more pine into the loads as it throws way less heat. IT just doesent coal well and burn well in my stove when its drafted way down. It seems to burn but fire not transfer to other adjacent logs very well on a low smoldering burn.
  21. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    With the night load I try to time bringing the downstairs up to around 80 with the night load just before going to bed. Lets me sleep upstairs under that sheet I am so fond of on nights like tonight where it is 32 now and gonna be mid-twenties in the morning. The furniture and stuff downstairs soaks up the heat and releases it slowly so I can do my usual old retired guy sleeping in act.
  22. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    I try and have my stove room @ 80+ as well at sleepy time. That allows my uninsulated bedroom to be at the mid 60s on the coldest of nights. Its in the 30s now and im [prolly close to 70 right now back there, to hot for me to sleep like I like.
  23. nate379

nate379 Guest

Already do and it sucks at times. I've got wood I need to finish cutting and cording, a shed I need to organize, etc. Not messing with any of it when it's single digits outside for the high.

24. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I hate the wood consumption but love the Jan. Feb. drill of just load it three times a day and rock.
  25. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    It is currently.
    IMAG0082.jpg