1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Finally cold enough to burn a full load!!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by lopiliberty, Nov 24, 2012.

1. theonlyzarathu

theonlyzarathu Member

Loc:
    Bar Harbor, Maine
    You could be burning .....(drum roll) ....OIL.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. nate379

nate379 Guest

The wood I'm working on is for 2014-2015 winter. Got next winter's done a few weeks ago.

3. hotprinter

hotprinter Member

Loc:
    North Pole, Alaska
    Above zero? Nice!
  4. geoxman

geoxman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    STL City
    It is 81 in my house right now that is a nice temp.

Man you guys like it hot! I keep the first floor in the low 70's and the 2nd stays in the upper 60's and the third is about the same and that is without firing up the other stove. I have burnt many full loads, but my house was built in 1904 and is very drafty. Maybe it is just me but I start to sweat when the temp is in the upper 70's and I would be uncomfortable if it was in the 80's. I turn my AC on in the spring/summer when it is that temp. good luck
  5. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    I don't like sitting there when its 80 watching tv but to get heat to my bedroom 50+ feet away down a hall through a right angle door from the sove room, on cold nights it need to be that hot. In the summer the room the stove is in only has one duct in it (long story there is a reason) from my AC and it consistently is in the upper 70s in there and will hit 80 on the hottest days, but that feels fine when you walk in from outside and its 95F out there.
  6. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    Man you guys crack me up. I can only hope when I get a stove running on the 1st floor I can experience room temps like is reported on here. I have a 30" Elm running at 800 degrees for 2 hrs before settling into 650-700 for the next several hrs and the air temp right above the stove isn't but mid 80s. Middle of the room is mid 70s and other side of the room is 60s(1000sqft room). We have been in the upper 20s to a high of 33 yesterday and the 1st and second floor was 70 with the furnace kicking in to help about once every hr. I doubt however I will ever get to that level of comfort because the 1st floor ceiling is 18' over a 3rd of the floor plan the levels with the loft. I have a space very similar to the guy in NY with the Inn I posted on last yr.
  7. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    I was in full load mode for awhile but today I'm cutting back to 3/4 loads every 12 hours burning a little hotter to see how she goes. Since that last cold front came through those BK 24 burns couldn't keep up without a little help from the Keystone. Now I wanna see some real heat from this thing.
  8. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    First fire of the season today. Rest of the week cold 20-35 Deg
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Looks like our first day of not getting above freezing. Snow from last night is still with us.
  10. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    how is this? YOu live in Pa, I have had to have daily fires for a few weeks here in SC, your house must be in the 50s inside? That's what mine would say if I have not run heat yet!!
  11. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    House never goes below 75 in winter ,wife likes it warm.
    I dont use my wood stove unless it cold enough outside and not sunny. At the lowest setting on the wood stove my house is 77 when its 35 outside. When its sunny my sun porch warms the whole house during the day and unless its below 35 deg i have a small hot water coal stoker heats the DHW and the house in shoulder season. I can dial down the stoker to provide just a little heat but the wood stove throws too much BTUS at the lowest setting unless its really cold out.
  12. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Yesterday i maintained my house at 79 to 81 had to let the fire die about 1 PM today.