1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

First fire Running Hot?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by silvertwins, Mar 19, 2014.

1. silvertwins

silvertwins New Member

Loc:
    Thumb of Michigan
    This is our first fire in our new Blaze King King Ultra. The fire seems to want to stay in the very high active range. Is this okay. If not, suggestions.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Rickb

Rickb Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St.Louis
    The fire or just the heat from the cat?

New cats are very "aggressive" Wont take much to peg it for the first 6 months.
    jeff_t likes this.
  3. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Is this a break in fire or first big fire? Takes a little getting used to but start turning the air down sooner and let it come up to temp slowly.
  4. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Yep, the new cat will light off quickly, and run the cat probe on the high end. That's pretty normal. Mine still runs not quite at the end of the active range quite a bit, after three seasons. Don't sweat it. The stove is pretty well designed, and crazy cat temps just don't really happen. The cat probe isn't exactly a precision instrument, either, especially at higher temps.

If you think you need to, open the bypass for a while. Turning the air down and snuffing out any flame makes more smoke for the cat to burn.
  5. silvertwins

silvertwins New Member

Loc:
    Thumb of Michigan
    Thank you for the quick responses. This is our first big fire, so thank you for relieving our first fire jitters. The t stat seems to be regulating because the fire will smolder and then light back up, so it looks like it's doing what it's suppose to do. My gut instinct would be that the thermostat should stay in the middle of the normal range, but if you veterans have temps at the high end of active, I'm feeling a lot better.
  6. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Don't sweat it, everything sounds as it should. After 3 seasons mine still burns at the top of the active zone.
  7. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Welcome to wood heating.....
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    And welcome to Hearth.com!
  9. HotCoals

HotCoals Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    Yep it's normal. I just put a new cat in a few weeks ago and that first week it was all or nothing for like a week.
    I could only do low and slow..any extra air and the thing went crazy!
    The cat would light up a dark room!
    I was seeing 750 at times on the hot spot just in front of the probe.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014