First time burning a high efficiency woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy Billy

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2008
Britton MI
I have always had and burnt wood. And I have seen and been somewhat jealous of all of you with these new high efficiency wood stoves. It still seems strange to me how small the fireboxes are but I just had to give one a try. Last fall someone here broke the news of the Pacific Energy True North wood stoves. And five weeks ago I ordered two one for the farm and one for my brother. They came in yesterday I got it home and just had to try it out!

300096_1855152273504_1681757389_1322230_276433374_n.jpg

I know from reading here that I am going to have to learn some new burning habits. First off draft seems much more important than on the older stoves possibly from how the air enters the stove coming in over the glass and then flowing down into the stove. Also it takes longer to heat up all the fire brick especially around the baffle which prolongs low draft. And since I only had 6' of chimney it took quite a while to get it lit good and had to leave the door cracked open until I got the top of the to 225 deg or it would just put the fire out.

But I think I am really going to love this stove. I put in two good sized splits of birch and one 6" ash log at 7:30 last nite and it was still putting out heat a 5:30 this morning. And was still warm to the touch at 11:30. It was amazing watching how clean it burned. One thing that was not in the manual was which way was open on the draft control and it took me a while to figure it out. Since it was outside I could change the draft and watch for any changes in the smoke. One thing I found out was that the stove top needs to get up to at least 300 deg to start to burn clean and I would say 350 is the lowest temp you would to burn constantly at. We put a fan on the top and it had cooled the surface off and noticed it start to smoke when we got it down to 250 deg even though the fire was going good. Then about 10:00pm it started to smoke with the top temp at 350 and was trying to figure out what was going on. Finally realized the humidity outside came up to 75% and it wasn't smoke just water condensing out of the flue.

Which brings me to another point. This thing really holds the heat in and releases it in the area (room) not up the chimney. We ran it up to 400 deg for a hour and it never burnt the price tags on the chimney in fact I could (and did) brush my fingers on the stove pipe and not get burnt.

When we went to the PE dealer to get a price on it we were told PE didn't make a stove with that name. Then when I went back to put a down payment on it the girl working there said I was wrong and PE didn't make it. And when we went to pick it up the owner was there and thanked us for showing him that stove and he had ordered one for his showroom.

While I am going to hate taking my 110 year old Round Oak stove out of the bunk and replacing it with this stove. The Round Oak was just too big for the place and we would have to leave windows cracked open at -6 deg outside and it would still be 95 inside. So it will make it a lot nicer to have a long burn time and a stove that I can control the heat on. And when I get a cabin built I will put both stoves in so when I go up in the winter I can light both and warm the place up fast.

Billy

Thanks for the update Billy. I broke in a Summit a few weeks ago with 6ft of pipe. It was balky to start without the door ajar, but on the second burn I did manage to get it up to secondary burning temp. I like the clean simple lines on the True North. And I like that it will load N/S. Do you mind my asking how much the stove sells for?

Keep us posted on the installation and heating with the stove. And keep the pictures coming! We are looking forward to hearing a lot more about the stove.

Billy,,,,I second BeGreens post. I have been lookin at the True North line of stoves for a few weeks, they just look rugged and solid. Would also like to know what ya paid if ya dont mind. Thinkin about adding a second stove in my loft,,,thanx...Joey

I really like the look of that stove, clean simple lines. And the one thing my stove doesn't do well, it loads N/S. I think I need to jump over and open another page and have a look see.
Congrats Billy...

Thanks ya all.

It was $950 plus tax. And since I picked it up from the dealer there was no shipping charges. Another thing I really didn't notice until I got it is that there is a 5" wide ledge the with of the stove just under the door. That will catch ash or coals if they do come out of the door. It will hold a 18" log and is 20.5 inches from the back fire brick to the glass. I have heard of other people having problems with getting the secondary's to light and I am happy to say mine light up in about 30 minutes.

Billy

Reactions: BigDogYooper
Cowboy Billy said:
Thanks ya all.

It was $950 plus tax. And since I picked it up from the dealer there was no shipping charges. Another thing I really didn't notice until I got it is that there is a 5" wide ledge the with of the stove just under the door. That will catch ash or coals if they do come out of the door. It will hold a 18" log and is 20.5 inches from the back fire brick to the glass. I have heard of other people having problems with getting the secondary's to light and I am happy to say mine light up in about 30 minutes.

Billy

Nice price. Looking forward to hearing about burn times and heating capabilities.

Thanks Be Green. The installation is going to be a pain. Since I am moving the stove and am going to have to go strait up through a flat roof. And the roof is a 1/8" thick plastic liner. So keeping from leaking is not going to be fun.

Here's my bunk house. I am moving the stove near the front door as its in the back right now. But I was having problems with the heat moving into the trailer and moving it to the front should help alot. I am also building a 10x16 covered deck that I am going to stack fire wood on as well as having a place to hang out in bad weather and being able to take my boots off before I drag mud into the building.

32585_1215943573686_1681757389_409750_5062889_n.jpg

Here's the inside of the bunk house.

165319_1435320537973_1681757389_820229_7468004_n.jpg

Billy

Did you buy it locally? The folks in Monroe seem really nice, but maybe not so knowledgeable on some of what they sell. I could see them not knowing about this stove. And when I was there, the T6 they were burning in the showroom had the primary air wide open. He couldn't show me a secondary burn, probably due to the mostly green oak he was trying to burn.
Seems like the perfect stove for a UP camp, though.

Looks good Billy. That was good to build a fire with the stove outdoors, especially with it going into the cabin. May it serve you well.

Lots of green there yet but your dad looks a bit chilly. It will be getting cold real soon.

Billy,

Sounds great. Good luck with the stove. I love the name of that stove. Please forgive me for being so terribly suburban but what is a bunk house for?

Also for 950 that sounds like killer deal.

Good luck with the new stove Bill! Look forward to hearing how it works for you along with pics!

Ray

DaFattKidd said:
Billy,

Sounds great. Good luck with the stove. I love the name of that stove. Please forgive me for being so terribly suburban but what is a bunk house for?

The bunk house. Lots of those in the north country. Sort of a home away from home; a place where Billy can get away from the city. A hunting shack. I suspect some day Billy will be building a nice house on that land. He has done a lot of clearing and loves to spend time there. No doubt, a retirement place in the future.

How about it Billy? Am I right?

Hi Jeff

Yes it was the place in Monroe. They seem like good people and we must have spent a hour talking to the owner when we picked up the stoves. While he did seem to know a lot he seemed to think wood moisture didn't matter.

Backwoods Savage said:
DaFattKidd said:
Billy,

The bunk house. Lots of those in the north country. Sort of a home away from home; a place where Billy can get away from the city. A hunting shack. I suspect some day Billy will be building a nice house on that land. He has done a lot of clearing and loves to spend time there. No doubt, a retirement place in the future.

How about it Billy? Am I right?

Yep you are right Dennis. Its just a building with beds and a cook stove. I've seen them from as small as mine to big enough to hold 20 people. Its pretty much the same thing as a old logging camp. I want to build a small house or cabin. But I wish I could move up there now but am going to try in the next few years to move up.

The outside picture was taken two years ago and the inside one last fall. Dad passed away Feb 27th.

Billy

Very nice, Billy! I see that they recommend at least a 12' stack...that should give you the draft you need. Looks like you've got that on the old setup, but going straight up will eliminate the two 90* turns and improve draft even more.

BrowningBAR said:
Nice price. Looking forward to hearing about burn times and heating capabilities.
Rated to heat 1800 sq. ft. Should be toasty warm in there.

DaFattKidd said:
Please forgive me for being so terribly suburban but what is a bunk house for?
Looks like a man cave to me. :cheese:

Billy, what is your brother going to heat with his True North?

Nice stove and love the bunk house, I could retire in a place like that.

Billy, so sorry to hear about your dad. May his memory give you joy.

DaFattKidd said:
Billy, so sorry to hear about your dad. May his memory give you joy.
I missed that in your post the first time I read it, I am also sorry to hear that as I enjoyed your pictures of you and your dad having fun on the land you own.

I really like the look of that stove I bet you will love burning in it this winter.

Woody Stover said:
Very nice, Billy! I see that they recommend at least a 12' stack...that should give you the draft you need. Looks like you've got that on the old setup, but going straight up will eliminate the two 90* turns and improve draft even more.

BrowningBAR said:
Rated to heat 1800 sq. ft. Should be toasty warm in there.

DaFattKidd said:
Please forgive me for being so terribly suburban but what is a bunk house for?
Looks like a man cave to me. :cheese:

Billy, what is your brother going to heat with his True North?

Howdy Browning

Its not going to be much of a test at the farm. All it has to heat is a 12x20 room and a 8x26 travel trailer. I'm sure I am going to miss how fast the Round Oak heats the place up when I go up for a weekend. But should love the burn times. With the Round Oak I would have to leave a few windows open to let cold air in But when the fire would burn out in 4-6 hrs while sleeping then cold air rolling in would wake me up then I would have to light another fire then be too hot and I couldn't sleep and keep doing the whole thing over and over.

HI Woody

My brother is going to heat his 950 sq ft house with it. He's been driving me nuts heating last year with a 1940's military tent heater. He should do good this year and I have him setup with 1 1/2 year dried maple and ash.

Thanks Old Spark and DaFattKid

Its still hard to believe and talk about. And I really wish he were here to see what we have gotten done this year.

Thanks Certified

I've only had the one fire in it so far but I am impressed. I thought about getting one for my house but there is no way its going to heat this old drafty place.

Billy

Billy, what do you use to heat your house?

DaFattKidd said:
Billy, what do you use to heat your house?

I have a Johnsons Engery systems J9000 wood furnace. With a 31" d x 19"w x16"h fire box it really chews up the wood. While the house is only 1310 sq ft. Its just horrible to heat and I don't bother to cool it. It was built in 1933 and has five additions on it which I can't get under to insulate and its not worth paying to have insulation sprayed in. While I don't like the house I love the 7 acres it on.

Billy

I like that stove and the price.

You did well!

pen

Thanks Pen

My other brother likes it so much he is going to get one too.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.