Frozen pipes :-(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
developed a pinhole leak
Now I’m gonna worry about that! :)

Well, in my case a leak would only result in ruined drywall in the garage. There are plenty of worse places for a pipe leak. I guess I’ll just be on the lookout over the next week.

Living in a cold climate, like northern MN, means protection of all plumbing. All of our house plumbing is in interior walls or exposed in the heated basement. The water line from the well is buried 9' down. Slight risk of the line to the septic tank freezing, but with normal use and normal snow cover, no freezing here either. Extended cold of -10F and much lower into the -30'sF and still lower, plus little snow cover does put septic systems at risk of freeze up. Kind of *hitty when that happens.

Extended cold of -10F and much lower into the -30'sF and still lower, plus little snow cover does put septic systems at risk of freeze up. Kind of *hitty when that happens.
I'll say, especially if the alternative is the outhouse.

OP you need to get a therm-guard... The guy who invented it, posts on this site. I just bought 2 of them last week after frozen and broken pipes two weeks in a row. I installed it in 5 mins, hooks right into thermostat. Runs your baseboard for a set time and interval regardless of the thermostat temp. I do 5 minutes every 2 hours, the guy who invented it in Montana does 5 minutes every 3 hours. I'm being cautious as I don't want to deal with any more frozen pipes. For $60 something dollar with the 10% coupon on hearth.com it's the best damn insurance policy I've ever bought...

http://www.bearmountaindesign.com/

I set my thermostat for 62-64 degree's, wood stove runs all day, thermostat says 68-70. After I fall asleep, maybe heat kicks in 6-8 hours later in the middle of the night but good old thermo-gaurd circulates my pipes every 2 hours. CAN'T BEAT IT, I even ordered a second one for my other zone but have yet to need it.

Reactions: dfelicia
OP you need to get a therm-guard... The guy who invented it, posts on this site. I just bought 2 of them last week after frozen and broken pipes two weeks in a row. I installed it in 5 mins, hooks right into thermostat. Runs your baseboard for a set time and interval regardless of the thermostat temp. I do 5 minutes every 2 hours, the guy who invented it in Montana does 5 minutes every 3 hours. I'm being cautious as I don't want to deal with any more frozen pipes. For $60 something dollar with the 10% coupon on hearth.com it's the best damn insurance policy I've ever bought...

I set my thermostat for 62-64 degree's, wood stove runs all day, thermostat says 68-70. After I fall asleep, maybe heat kicks in 6-8 hours later in the middle of the night but good old thermo-gaurd circulates my pipes every 2 hours. CAN'T BEAT IT, I even ordered a second one for my other zone but have yet to need it.

Cool idea. Thanks for sharing that information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy crap, that is genius!!

I can’t thank you enough for sharing this. It’s going to save me real money, not to mention give me peace of mind.

I just texted this to the plumber who got me fixed up, and he’s going to be passing it on to his customers. Also posted to NextDoor for all my neighbors to see.

Last edited:

This is awesome. I have three zones, one is in the living room where the stove is, so will need one each for the other zones. We are actually holding off a little on the stove due to chance of frozen pipes.

I had a similar problem with frozen pipes. I purchased 3 therm guards and put one on each thermostat. I set them to run every 2 hrs. for 5 min. Now I don't have to worry about the pellet stove tricking the thermostat which can freeze pipes up without circulating water. It was easy to setup. Turned off power to furnace. Then connected wires to thermostat. I followed the instructions to program it. That was easy too.

Well, it’s been unusually cold in CT since Xmas. My insert is in our family room, which is over our garage. The room is about 400 square feet with vaulted ceilings. I’ve been using the stove to heat the room for the past week.

Well, this morning it was back to work for me, and my wife isn’t comfortable feeding the stove. So I set the thermostat with just coals left in the stove and went to work. When I came home, the room was chilly. I turned up the heat and nothing.

The good news is that the zone with the frozen pipes exclusively feeds the one room. The rest of my house has heat. Plumber is coming in the morning, and I’m hoping the pipes didn’t split. Won’t know until they’re thawed.

Maybe this will be of help to others... just because your stove is keeping your house at 80 degrees doesn’t mean that baseboard heat can be turned off in subzero temps. The outside walls get cold enough to freeze the pipes, which never occurred to me.

Wish me luck!

Pipes in a wall that is exposed to the outside are often at risk of freezing. This is especially true if that area of the house is away from the wood stove and a thermostat is too close to the area the wood stove is heating. The pipes don't even have to be in the wall. At times, some isolated rooms with baseboard heating can freeze under the right conditions.

Freezing, burst pipes are the worst. Sometimes, when the dreary, rainy days hit and the temps are in the 30's or 20's, I like to tune in to this channel just to feel better.:)

We've lived through freezing pipes in other places (especially bad when we had some rentals to fix in N. Calif.) (I don't wish being a landlord on anyone, BTW).

Around here, when it gets in single digits, it's drip, drip, drip on nearly every faucet in the house, and open any exterior-wall cabinets, until it's over. Even the exterior hose bibbs when it's bad. I feel for you all.