Grab the Big Saw....No not that one the other one!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
I should be over there tonight cleaning up the rest of the limbs...I'll put a tape on it and let you know what you are up against.

I have seen this pic in another thread....I will have the gen-set and grinder station up and running first thing. These slabs will become family heirloom's over night! :cheese: Will be a lot better than firewood!

Yep...the thread i posted about cleaning up. I have 7 heaping F150 loads hauled out so far...about 3 more to go. Some of the limbs might be a little too big for my tiny 361.

I can snap them twig's for you! :lol:

smokinjay said:
On my way to work and out of the cornor of my eye is a Monster stump....This thing appars to be in the 70 inch range. Time to noddle up a Big one with the 880. Looks like theres around 3/4 of a cord there and its on my way home. Have pic's later should be some Big o'l piles of Saw dust!

Is that what we call in NY a WEINER saw!

Zap

gibir said:
smokinjay said:
On my way to work and out of the cornor of my eye is a Monster stump....This thing appars to be in the 70 inch range. Time to noddle up a Big one with the 880. Looks like theres around 3/4 of a cord there and its on my way home. Have pic's later should be some Big o'l piles of Saw dust!

Is that what we call in NY a WEINER saw!

Zap

It going to feel like one on that tree!

Make sure we get pictures!

Bspring said:

Will get lots of pic's on this Monster if we get the green Light! This is one that you will all set around every Holiday......

Here is the one I have Now.... One piece 40 inch wide and 10 ft long, would be better! This is a 10 passanger at 9'6" a 10 foot should handle 12 Nicely!

Attachments

• table finnish 2.jpg
    table finnish 2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 376
Bspring said:

I'd say video, but one cut could get boring after the first, hour? How long would it take for one slab?

jeff_t said:
Bspring said:

I'd say video, but one cut could get boring after the first, hour? How long would it take for one slab?

May have to run down both sides....With Idling to help keep it cool 20min's a slab.... :cheese: Will need to top off fuel and oil 3/4 through it and a fresh chain per slab. So a very boring video until the slab is flipped!

Nice table there somkin'.

When you guys pull this off there better be a lot of pics.

KC

Little Warm up the Gf wearing Pink slabbing a 30 inch black walnut![youtube]http://youtu.be/6OGtwWMZjtk?t=32s[/youtube]

Would you mind sharing how you do the finish on that slab?

snowleopard said:
Would you mind sharing how you do the finish on that slab?

I used minin wax hand rub poly on that one sanded between coats of 220 grit up to 1500 grit. There is around 10 coats on there using a finer grit each coat using a porter-gable d/a sander on the lowest setting 1000 rpm's. Also used nothing but wet sanding on the finish. Oh, and a drop of soap in the water...

thanks. Looks deep enough to swim in . . .

snowleopard said:
thanks. Looks deep enough to swim in . . .

Yea most are afarid to set drinks on it, or think its wet......Its kid proof and sweating drinks are no issue's.

Sorry guys but no go on the big show. She wants to keep it as is. I'll see if I can convince her, but will take some time.

lukem said:
Sorry guys but no go on the big show. She wants to keep it as is. I'll see if I can convince her, but will take some time.

Trimming it like that its dead anyway......Only difference is by the time she figures it out, it will be firewood only. I run into this all the time. Most think there going to get rich with it but mills don't want it and its going to take a bad @ss chainsaw mill Modd-ed to make that tree anything.....The big one I found was rotted I left it where it set...Found another one on the way home got about 3/4 of a cord. :coolsmile:

smokinjay said:
lukem said:

Trimming it like that its dead anyway......Only difference is by the time she figures it out, it will be firewood only. I run into this all the time. Most think there going to get rich with it but mills don't want it and its going to take a bad @ss chainsaw mill Modd-ed to make that tree anything.....The big one I found was rotted I left it where it set...Found another one on the way home got about 3/4 of a cord. :coolsmile:

That's pretty much what I told her too...it has a couple things going against it:

1.) It is in a yard...so the potential for metal is there.
2.) It would take a payloader (at a minimum) to get it on a trailer. A knuckle boom grapple would pull the semi over before it picked it up. Lots of overhead just getting it to the mill.
3.) The mills around here aren't set up to handle trees that big.

I think she's more worried about someone without insurance coming in and doing work...or someone getting hurt and it coming back on her.

I'll bring it up from time to time and see if she budges. Not going to try to talk her into anything though....

EDIT...it is 61" about a foot off the base...and tapers to about 56" before the crown. Easily 16' long slabs. Bummer.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:

That's pretty much what I told her too...it has a couple things going against it:

1.) It is in a yard...so the potential for metal is there.
2.) It would take a payloader (at a minimum) to get it on a trailer. A knuckle boom grapple would pull the semi over before it picked it up. Lots of overhead just getting it to the mill.
3.) The mills around here aren't set up to handle trees that big.

I think she's more worried about someone without insurance coming in and doing work...or someone getting hurt and it coming back on her.

I'll bring it up from time to time and see if she budges. Not going to try to talk her into anything though....

EDIT...it is 61" about a foot off the base...and tapers to about 56" before the crown. Easily 16' long slabs. Bummer.

Yea it will go to waste! I see this all the time no big deal, there is two here in town they want money for...Never going to happen! I just laugh on my way by. :coolsmile: Even a chainsaw mill will need a 900.00 cannon bar and lots of modd. to pull that off. another Monster going to waste. The one I cut into tuesday was 72inchs and rotted all the way through. Shame it wasnt even good for firewood anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.