Harman Cleaning Combustion Motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derbydude

Feb 17, 2014
Stamford CT
So I sat down for my first annual cleaning of my Harman Accentra insert. I pulled it out on rails. The manual says "combustion blower is held in place by 3 thumb screws".
I'm just not able to locate any such assembly with thumb screws. Can someone help me out - any pics would be helpful. Where exactly is it - to right or left? Do I need to pull insert all way out to get behind?
Thanks for helping out the newbie.

Last edited:
Harman website has a lot of owner resources ... the link is at the bottom of the webpage. This one has a photo... page 31 in the on-line manual too.
http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/communications/AccentraInsertCleaningInstructions.pdf
http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/Accentra_Insert.pdf

PS They do have videos in the resources section too!

Thank you - I have that PDF but still not able to locate it - is it on my right side facing the insert? I just don't see anything with thumb screws.

Should be on the left hand side when you are facing the insert... Check the exploded view in the manual for approximate positioning.

Mine is on the right side, just below the docking gasket that seals the stove to the exhaust vent. You do have pull the stove completely out of the fireplace opening to access the blower. You should see the 3 thumbscrews when looking from the left side across the rear of the stove, just to the right of the auger motor.

Thanks guys. I think I have a more serious problem now.
I was pulling the stove out again. I heard a small snap. Im not sure but I think one of the wire connections came apart. There is a black and red set of wires coming out of the wall. I see a twisted pair of blues. The black one is connected one of the blues. The other blue is left hanging and so is the red. But I dont see any connection plug thats normally there for other wire connections. So Im not sure.
Anybody has more info?
Or better to call dealer?

Last edited:
Might take a few pictures and post them here. Somebody should be able to help tell you where the wires go, or went. What are they attached to?

Might take a few pictures and post them here. Somebody should be able to help tell you where the wires go, or went. What are they attached to?
I attached a pic. The black/red combo on left are coming from inside wall/chimney side. The 2 twisted blues on right are coming from stove. No idea what its attached to inside stove - there's a whole bunch of wires coming out.

There is a schematic in your manual. In the online verson it's on page 35. The schematic calls out the wire colors and shows where they are landed

Looks like you yanked a wire out of the stakeon.

Last edited:
Are the wires that your your looking at going to a thermostat or an extended temp probe. That looks like an easy fix just cut the connector off the red wire and wire nut the disconnected blue to the red provided your are sure the two go together.

Are the wires that your your looking at going to a thermostat or an extended temp probe. That looks like an easy fix just cut the connector off the red wire and wire nut the disconnected blue to the red provided your are sure the two go together.

But shouldn't there have been an existing connection "sleeve" just like there is for the other blue wire?
What is the "thing" called - that's on the unconnected red wire?

Problem is the wiring diagram simply doesn't show either connection - no red-black pair connecting to blue wires.

Ok I traced it - the red-black pair is coming from the wire that's hanging off in free space - I assume it's the temperature sensor.
So is it safe to leave as is? Or safer to connect the red to the blue?

Thanks

You will need to reconnect the two wires for the temp probe to work for room temp mode. It will still work properly in stove temp but I would connect them. All you need to do is cut the connector off the red wire and use a small wire nut to connect them back together. I wouldn't call a service tech for such a simple fix and pay $$$.

When you pull your stove out you can only go so far until you have to disconnect the ground and temp probe wires or it will pull them apart like the issue you have.all the wires that need to be disconnected are on the left side of the stove near the probe wires, as your pulling the stove out watch which wires have tension and disconnect as your pulling the stove out

When you pull your stove out you can only go so far until you have to disconnect the ground and temp probe wires or it will pull them apart like the issue you have.all the wires that need to be disconnected are on the left side of the stove near the probe wires, as your pulling the stove out watch which wires have tension and disconnect as your pulling the stove out
You will need to reconnect the two wires for the temp probe to work for room temp mode. It will still work properly in stove temp but I would connect them. All you need to do is cut the connector off the red wire and use a small wire nut to connect them back together. I wouldn't call a service tech for such a simple fix and pay $$$.

Great - thank you

Reactions: Zeus
let us know when you get it fixed. Oh and when you push the stove back in be care full not to pinch the wires in between the stove and the frame or you'll have a similar problem.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I think I have a more serious problem now.
I was pulling the stove out again. I heard a small snap. Im not sure but I think one of the wire connections came apart. There is a black and red set of wires coming out of the wall. I see a twisted pair of blues. The black one is connected one of the blues. The other blue is left hanging and so is the red. But I dont see any connection plug thats normally there for other wire connections. So Im not sure.
Anybody has more info?
Or better to call dealer?

I have a friend with a 52i who had the same problem when he slid it out to clean it. The solderless (crimp on) connector failed on the blue wire just like in your picture. I put a new one on for him and he was good to go. Those connectors are kind of chintzy considering the quality, fit, and finish Harmans are known for....

BTW, these are the ground wires right? - the green ones coming out of that black box

Ok I traced it - the red-black pair is coming from the wire that's hanging off in free space - I assume it's the temperature sensor.
So is it safe to leave as is? Or safer to connect the red to the blue?

Thanks
In my experience and that of others here on the temperature sensor wires must be connected for the stove's electronics to work properly.

let us know when you get it fixed. Oh and when you push the stove back in be care full not to pinch the wires in between the stove and the frame or you'll have a similar problem.

That was an easy fix. Thanks.
But now I have a different problem. I pulled out the heat exchanges plates, and cleaned them.
I had trouble putting the heat exchanger plates back in place. It does not seem to sit as firm as before.
I can get it to wobble by pressing at the corner.
But anyway it seemed somewhat ok, so I put back the medallion etc and started it up.
It worked fine for 2 days. But this morning, I saw the medallion had fallen, or rather leaned over on to the glass.
I need to relook at the video about how i can get the heat exchangers to sit in more firmly.
I believe it needs to get in behind the notch against the burnpot - but it wont squeeze in there.

I've had that same thing happen. The plate on the left always gives me problems. It never seems to fit in like the other one. You'll get it just be patient.

Can someone please post a closeup of one of their panels?
I am interested in how its supposed to sit, especially the sides next to the burnpot.
There's like a edge/notch behind the burnpot - Im not sure if the plate should be behind it or in front of it.

Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.