Harman Oakwood Protected Surface Clearances?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PS3696

May 20, 2008
SouthEastern, MA
Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie to the forum's and to burning. I just bought a house Raised ranch that has a full brick hearth in the lower level 96"W x 46"D and floor to ceiling brick. I just bought a Harman oakwwod and was looking at the owners guide on-line and noticed that they have no listing for installation clearances with protected surfaces. I contacted my dealer and asked if Harman had these and that they just weren't published. They said Harman didn't have these. Does anyone have any idea as to what these measurements are? The local building inspector said he goes by what the OEM lists in the installation guide. I know that the minimum distance is 12" as listed in the NFPA 211 is this single wall or double? The owners guide lists 13" with double wall pipe I was hoping to get by with single wall pipe to save $$$. I need something to show the inspector.

Thanks for the help!

The charts in the manual on pages 12-15 are what your inspector will go by. If you want to use single wall then you need to go by the single wall charts. If your rear clearance with single wall is 28" then you will need to add hearth extension to maintain front hearth protection. Depending on the stove, the current hearth design and personal aesthetics, that too can be costly.

Sometimes, if the flue is marginal, it's better to use double wall off the stove. This keeps the flue gases hotter. Can you describe the flue pipe that will be on the stove? Will it be tying into an existing chimney? If so what will be the length and run of the metal pipe and what is the height and interior dimension of the flue tile in the chimney?

The charts on pages 12-15 are for unprotected surfaces (Combustible surfaces) I was hoping to find something for non-combustible's (Brick). I forgot to mention I have the rear heat shield as well. The stove will be tying into an existing chimney with an 8" black pipe opening about 28" above the top of the stove. As for what is inside the chimeny not sure I have 2 flue's 1 for the fireplace on the upper level and 1 for the wood stove. I'm not sure what is in the flue. I don't think it is lined and I don't have the demensions I have a critter cap on the top of the chimney so it make measuring a pain. Hopefully this weekend I will have better info.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.