harman p61 manual lighting stove, 400 bucks off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New P61's on fleabay with igniter for like 2800. Personally I would never pay that much for a pellet stove unless my income was in the six figure bracket but if that was the case I could afford propane. Theres too many steals on craigslist to be spending that kind of money.

if the stove lasts 10+ years i think its a good investment. heck, there quite a few harmans out there that are 20 years old. after a while i expect the stove will need some service, like blowers, auger motor replacements but the stove itself should last a long time. as far as the ussc stove, i think it will have a good home in the barn. the barn is 8-900 sq ft and while it isnt very well insulated it isnt that big of a space either. i think it will beat the crap out of that terrible torpedo style kero heater. at almost $4.50 per gallon kero isnt very economical. a gallon of kerosene will maybe burn for 2 hours at the most, 4 bucks will buy a bag of pellets and that will burn for 8 hours+. i might also invest in some cheap insulation for the barn just to keep some of the heat in. i dont see myself doing the whole 9 yards and putting up drywall in the barn but maybe i could see myself spending $100 or less to stuff some insulation against the walls.

i bought my stove at king bros. in north java simply because i live in north java, it is only a couple minutes from my house (maybe 5 minutes) so it made sense to buy it there. hopefully they will take good care of me if i need anything. people that have local buisness tend to know people in community and dont want their name to be mud.

cant wait for that harman. its a mighty cold night tonight, and the 5510 is keeping up but barely. its 9 degress outside and 65 in the house, the stove is on setting 4 out of 5. that thing also has a tendency to really eat the pellets when its cold out. im hoping the harman wont have to be pushed as hard and will hopefully burn less pellets, hopefully paying for itself in the long run. it will also be nice not to have to clean out the stove once a week. emptying the ash pan once per ton sounds like a dream. since the only way to get any good performance out of the 5510 is to seal up the ash doors, it must be shut down and cleaned at least once (maybe more) per week at least. the dealer told me that with a harman it does not require as frequent cleaning.

i remember when i got that ussc and how poorly it performed before i did any mods to it. its much better now but it still isnt great. when i got it, i was lucky to get 8-10 hours before the burnpot was a mess with one massive clinker forcing a shutdown. i cannot believe that they are allowed to sell a stove that performs that badly right off the shipping pallet. its not a horrible stove but you have to seal up the ash doors and drill the holes in the burnpot larger. i think their testing methods have something to be desired for. something brand new should perform flawlessly, and had i known it had so many problems in the design i would have bought an englander.

ad356 said:
the p61 is allot more than 400 bucks off, actually its $3,500 so i saved roughly $700. it came to 3,100 after taxes which is less than the p61a is before taxes. i can deal with manually lighting the stove and much less frequently than i do now. the stove i use now has a crappy ignition unit and it failed in the first heating season. the us stove isnt known for a quality ignition element so i didnt bother to replace it. i have to clean this stove at least once a week which means a full shut down considering the way the ash doors dont seal forcing them to be sealed shut with rtv in order to get a good burn. im hoping this harman i just purchased is as good as everyone says it is. i just couldnt bring myself to spend an additional $700 just for the sake of not needing to light it manually, something that i consider to be extremely easy and something i have been doing as a routine for the last 3 years. it will be nice to have the 5510 in the garage (nice heat in a smaller space than the house) and the really nice harman in the house. the stove will arrive tuesday. oh, yeah and the dealer was king brothers in north java. they are less than 10 minutes from my house which will make it easy for me if it ever needs parts or service.

Sounds like you've got your mind made up but as a point of reference I paid $3100 for my brand new P61A with igniter last Dec from a stove shop. The pellets you would save using the the igniter/auto/room temp mode would also lessen the gap of the $400 you are "saving".

Status
Not open for further replies.