Harman P61 Status Light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoaf88

Oct 19, 2009
RI
I have searched google and this forum and cannot find the answer to this question.

I just got a P61 it is a year 2000. It runs totally fine once it gets going but does have some weird quirks.

First of all it does not like to light. I fill the burn pot, put the stove into stove temp mode and then light the pellets with the gel stuff. At first only the combustion blower comes on, I think both motors should be on but whatever.

Then after like 3 minutes the exhaust blower goes into an extremely low speed, almost like it is off, but its still on just barely, also the combustion light remains on. I wait like 15 minutes but the feed never comes on, neither does the convection. I am quite certain the temp at the exhaust is at least 165 by now.

Anyway I need to put the stove into test mode to get everything going. After 2 minutes of test mode I can put the feeder back on #3 and leave in stove temp mode and everything runs totally fine.

The status light always stays on. No blinking just a solid light.

The stove is in new condition. New door gasket, very clean everywhere, the draft in the stove is great, and everything has been vacuumed out, no ashes anywhere.

Is this a control board problem? Maybe an ESP problem? Like i said the stove runs perfect. The temp settings work well once I get the stove running. The only problems are a solid status light that never shuts off. And I need to put the stove into test mode to start it, after a minute everything is totally fine and running in normal mode.

Do you have an owners manual for the P-61? You can download it from the Harman website. My status light is always on unless the stove is shutting down.

Just your combustion blower will come on until the ESP probe senses enough heat (160) to activate the other functions. Is your flame strong or lazy? You might have to check door and ash pan gaskets for a good seal.

Do you have an owners manual for the P-61? You can download it from the Harman website. My status light is always on unless the stove is shutting down.
I was under the impression that the status light should not be on. I do have the manual.

Ok so the status light is fine I guess thats good.

Now how long does your stove take to start up?

I just put on a brand new door gasket today and the flame is vigorous.

Its weird, When I first turn it on the combustion blower is running very fast. Then after like 3 minutes it goes into a very low speed like almost off. So I put it into test mode and then it comes back on. Fire gets big then I switch out of test mode and all is normal.

My combustion blower always seems to run at the same speed. If it doesn't, then I guess I've never noticed.

For a manual light harman you need to get exhaust temps on the esp to 162 before the feeder will kick in and the distribution light will come on faint at 165 and strong at 180. By testing the board you are forcing feed and combustion rpm to fake out the fire....not a big issue. Perhaps you need to open the holes in the burnpot or clean out the air intake trap better. Also possible that your burnpot may be too full of pellets. The top two rows of air holes should be visible when fire is started and last but not least...you may have damp or yucky pellets which need more air and heat to get them going. I use a plumbers torch to light my manual stoves which speeds up this whole process.

What method are you using to start it? Harman's method in the manual SUCKS. Mix the gel into a 2/3 filled pot. Light it and leave the door open for 3-4 minutes. Shut the door and watch it. Assuming the pellets are properly lit, the stove will take up to maybe 5 minutes to satisfy the ESP and the feed process will begin.

The stove is clean correct?....particularly the burn pot and especially the ESP.

If everything seems fine, next time when you start the stove shorten the door open time to around 2 minutes. Your stove will tell you what it likes.

For a manual light harman you need to get exhaust temps on the esp to 162 before the feeder will kick in and the distribution light will come on faint at 165 and strong at 180. By testing the board you are forcing feed and combustion rpm to fake out the fire....not a big issue. Perhaps you need to open the holes in the burnpot or clean out the air intake trap better. Also possible that your burnpot may be too full of pellets. The top two rows of air holes should be visible when fire is started and last but not least...you may have damp or yucky pellets which need more air and heat to get them going. I use a plumbers torch to light my manual stoves which speeds up this whole process.

I totally agree with all of this but how do you explain the combustion blower slowing down to almost a stop after only 2 minutes?

Thats why I have to use test mode to get the combustion blower back up to speed.

Funny thing is, after I take it out of test mode the combustion blower never slows down after that.

What method are you using to start it? Harman's method in the manual SUCKS. Mix the gel into a 2/3 filled pot. Light it and leave the door open for 3-4 minutes. Shut the door and watch it. Assuming the pellets are properly lit, the stove will take up to maybe 5 minutes to satisfy the ESP and the feed process will begin.

The stove is clean correct?....particularly the burn pot and especially the ESP.

If everything seems fine, next time when you start the stove shorten the door open time to around 2 minutes. Your stove will tell you what it likes.

The stove is very clean almost new clean. The only thing I have not checked is the ESP. But after test mode the ESP is working fine. Calling for heat when it needs it, and slowing down when it is satisfied.

I just dont know why the combustion blower is slowing down for no reason. I have had manual light harman stoves before so I am very familiar with the process.

I have never noticed my combustion blower slowing ever even on shut down.

I have never noticed my combustion blower slowing ever even on shut down.

Yea its very weird

After test mode for like 1 minute I can put it back to normal and all is well. Thats why I know the motor is good.

I ran it for 6 hours in my garage today just to make sure everything worked.

Could be a bad pot switch?

I'm no expert but my guess is an ESP problem. You say you just got it but haven't checked the ESP to see if its crudded up. That's the first thing I'd check. I think it's a very overlooked item during a routine cleaning. Maybe it's sending some funky reading to the board and causing the RPM issue...although I believe it either tells the board "I'm ready to go" or not. Yer at least gonna eliminate that variable.

The fact you put it in test mode and successfully got the temp up may have done just that, given you sufficient heat to get things running normally.

Again, I'm no expert...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

When it finally gets running I can turn the feed rate up and down and the convection blower up ann down using the pot switches

I know your stove is older, but can you really turn the convection (exhaust) blower up and down?

Sorry, no bonus points awarded unless it was the H.I. Express.

I'm no expert but my guess is an ESP problem. You say you just got it but haven't checked the ESP to see if its crudded up. That's the first thing I'd check. I think it's a very overlooked item during a routine cleaning. Maybe it's sending some funky reading to the board and causing the RPM issue...although I believe it either tells the board "I'm ready to go" or not. Yer at least gonna eliminate that variable.

The fact you put it in test mode and successfully got the temp up may have done just that, given you sufficient heat to get things running normally.

Yea Im going to clean out the ESP tomorrow and see what happens. It probably wont make a difference but worth a try.

I know your stove is older, but can you really turn the convection (exhaust) blower up and down?

The convection blower is not for exhaust it is for heat. Yes I get quite a bit of variance in the speed of the convection blower. I checked it like 5 times.

The combustion blower (exhaust) should stay at a steady RPM but its not during startup for some strange reason.

Is your polarity correct on yer outlets?

Not sure but I have run 6 different pellet stoves in the past 4 years and never seen this problem before.

I thought you guys would know right away what the problem is. Of course I get the very hard to solve problem.

So I guess I will take out the ESP tomorrow and clean it. I will also try to clean every nook and cranny that I can find. If that does not work what do you think I need?

New ESP? New exhaust blower?