Harman P61 Status Light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I just turned on my basement P38. Its an older 2 knob "Turbo" model. Immediately after turning it on, all 3 motors start running in a test mode (I think). If I open the door as if I was filling the pot, the combustion motor slows way down. Upon closing the door, it goes back to normal.

My main stoves' combustion fan, which is currently running, also slows, although not as much, when the door is opened.

Not sure how this post can help you except to confirm the combustion blower speed is in fact variable.

i dont think its supposed to be, you may have a problem as well.

my issue has nothing to do with the door though.

really i dont care about this problem because the stove runs perfect.

if more stuff starts to go wrong then ill invest in a new control board

i dont think its supposed to be, you may have a problem as well.

my issue has nothing to do with the door though.

really i dont care about this problem because the stove runs perfect.

if more stuff starts to go wrong then ill invest in a new control board

I hear ya. Not saying the door is the issue, only that the combustion motor varies in RPM's. IMO, it's highly unlikely that both my stoves have the same or similar issue. It must be a safety feature inherent in all Harmans. Kinda like opening a washing machine door while it's on the spin cycle.

Stay warm and enjoy the storm.

so, this activity has happened since you got the unit? All I can tell you is that my P61 I use the procedure I denoted above----works for me, and has for 13 years. You do kinda need to trick the unit into thinking its running tho.

To support Scott, we did once have a unit where the stove came new with the wrong wire into the wrong terminal of the bus

pigtail the combi blower directly to the wall. This ensures its not the blower......otherwise changeout the board.

When you open tthe door the combustion motor kicks down...or so it appears... try jumping the air flow switch and see if yer rpms stay up

I dunno Scott- rare those vac swiches fail, and we usually see them as either bad or good, not intermittent.....at least the OP is doing due diligence.....he'll get it eventually.....(psst- control board, or just live with it.... ;))

I think WE wanna see it fixed more than he does! Lol. I'm sure its frustrating but at least his stove chugs along after start up. I can't say I'd be in a rush to drop the coin on a new board either.

I think WE wanna see it fixed more than he does! Lol. I'm sure its frustrating but at least his stove chugs along after start up. I can't say I'd be in a rush to drop the coin on a new board either.

no, but at some point, the rubber has to meet the road......its why i suggested testing the combi blower directly to the wall first......

When you open tthe door the combustion motor kicks down...or so it appears... try jumping the air flow switch and see if yer rpms stay up

It was the other guy that had issues with the rpms and the door.

My issue has nothing to do with the door.

Its some kind of timing issue because rpms always drop after around 2 minutws.

Then a quick 2 seconds in test mose speeds everything back up.

Then i switch baxk to feed rate 4 and all is well.

Its got to be some sort of control board issue

I think we have eliminated every other possibility

Last night in my sleep I had another thought in between dreams of Gullum coveting "my precious"...yes, I watched 2 of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy with my son yesterday....try spinning up the voltage trim pot on the board. Its the little white trim pot on the face of the control board. If you have an older style board for a manual P61 you are going to have to remove the CB and look for it....turn it clockwise all of the way.

Perhaps the stove is reverting to idle until the ESP is satisfied for heat...not sure. The trim pot allows you to decrease the voltage by 10 volts. You should be running a steady 115-118 during operation, you say you are getting 92...adding 10 would only give you 102 which is still quite low. Have you tried to call Harman tech support? Don't buy any parts until you speak with a good authorized dealer or HHT themselves...they are somewhat stingy with their info...so see what you can manage there.

Last night in my sleep I had another thought in between dreams of Gullum coveting "my precious"...yes, I watched 2 of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy with my son yesterday....try spinning up the voltage trim pot on the board. Its the little white trim pot on the face of the control board. If you have an older style board for a manual P61 you are going to have to remove the CB and look for it....turn it clockwise all of the way.

Perhaps the stove is reverting to idle until the ESP is satisfied for heat...not sure. The trim pot allows you to decrease the voltage by 10 volts. You should be running a steady 115-118 during operation, you say you are getting 92...adding 10 would only give you 102 which is still quite low. Have you tried to call Harman tech support? Don't buy any parts until you speak with a good authorized dealer or HHT themselves...they are somewhat stingy with their info...so see what you can manage there.

Huh good idea

So where exactly on the board is this pot located?

Top right? Bottom left? Middle?

Yea when i checked voltage it started around 96 and then kept going down to 92ish

Did you ever find the fix to your stove? Mine has the exact same problem as yours did 5 years ago.