Harmon Accenta Startup Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanH

Jan 5, 2016
Missouri
Wondering if anyone else has seen this issue. I have a 3 year old Harman Accentra. When I first turn it on the Feed and Igniter LEDs on the control panel don't light up. Needless to say the stove never starts to feed pellets. However, if I flip the Auto Switch to Manual, let it sit for three to five seconds, then flip it back to Auto both LEDs light up an the stove immediately starts feeding pellets and will start up without any issues. Any ideas on how to correct?

Alan

Wondering if anyone else has seen this issue. I have a 3 year old Harman Accentra. When I first turn it on the Feed and Igniter LEDs on the control panel don't light up. Needless to say the stove never starts to feed pellets. However, if I flip the Auto Switch to Manual, let it sit for three to five seconds, then flip it back to Auto both LEDs light up an the stove immediately starts feeding pellets and will start up without any issues. Any ideas on how to correct?

Alan
This does not sounds normal. Is it happening in stove temp or room temp? or both? What happens in test mode? what is your feed rate and set temp state? do you see any blinks on the status LED?

Are you sure your igniter toggle switch was all the way up? Sounds weird.

Ok,

Test mode seemed ok...all blowers and auger ran.

When powered off Power LED is the only LED lit up.

When I have the igniter switch toggled up to Auto (yes, all they way up) and turn the unit on by turning the Distribution Blower to "Stove Temp / H" the Combustion Blower and Status LEDs both light up but that is it (no blinking LEDs). Nothing happened for the 30-45 seconds I let the unit sit like that. I then flipped the Igniter Switch to Manual let it set for 5 seconds and back to Auto....nothing again (this is new, never tried the "Stove Temp / H" setting before. I tried this 2 more times with the same result. Stove never started up.

Next I turned everything off again (Power LED is only LED lit at this point). I set the Igniter to Auto and turned the Distribution Blower to "Room Temp / H". The Status and Combustion Blower LEDs both light up again but nothing else happens. After 15 to 20 seconds I flip the Igniter switch to Manual, wait 5-10 seconds, then flip it back to Auto. At this point the Auger immediately starts up, the Feed Motor and Igniter LED also light up. Unit starts up normally from this point on and is running normally.

Additional info for all the above trials: Temperature setting was set to approximately 75°. Room temp was around 68°. Feed rate was set to 3.

With the unit not starting at all when set to Stove Temp makes me suspect the stove temp sensor has kicked the bucket. But based on everything else I've read the Stove Temp sensor doesn't do anything when set to Room Temp.

Alan

Alright...here's the drill.

Accentra. Free standing or insert?

How old? 3 years with you? Three years new?

In the past 3 years, no issues? Just starting this year?

Have you tried to unplug your stove for a few and then plug it back in for a reset? Is it plugged into a UPS or surge protector?

I think it is 3 years old by the way that was written by the OP.

Roll your pots switches back and forth several times or the knobs. Could be they are not contacting well.

3 years purchased new. Insert. Problem started at beginning of this winter and is very repeatable.

I've tried rolling all pots and switches. Nothing changed. For example. Went through the normal startup process gor this thing got it to start feeding then immediately shut it off. Then restarted it. Had to flip from igniter from auto to manual to auto for it to start up again.

I'm starting to thing there is something odd going on in the main board the more I think about it. Shouldn't be the stove temp sensor since I didn't get a blinking status light when set to Stove Temp on startup.

Anyone know if that Temp sensor is a simple thermal couple? Guess it could be the transmitter if it is.

Alan

3 years purchased new. Insert. Problem started at beginning of this winter and is very repeatable.

I've tried rolling all pots and switches. Nothing changed. For example. Went through the normal startup process gor this thing got it to start feeding then immediately shut it off. Then restarted it. Had to flip from igniter from auto to manual to auto for it to start up again.

I'm starting to thing there is something odd going on in the main board the more I think about it. Shouldn't be the stove temp sensor since I didn't get a blinking status light when set to Stove Temp on startup.

Anyone know if that Temp sensor is a simple thermal couple? Guess it could be the transmitter if it is.

Alan
Unless you know or want to DIY, I would place a service call and get a Harman tech to plug in their computer and check the board during startup. Also check your thermistor sensor (room temp sensor). If you don't see other issues and ok with running like this for the season, maybe have it fixed as part of a yearly service in one service call. The accentra insert had a few recalls in 2013/14, they can also check per your serial: board, burnput, combustion fan cover - some stoves needed multiple part replacements (like mine!).

Reactions: bags
@HP52NOVA
Yeah, that's what my initial plan of attack was (make it through this winter and talk to the Service tech next summer when I have my yearly service done). I was just hoping someone had run into this weird behavior before and had a fairly simple solution (or even if not simple something that I could at least give the service tech a heads up on before he stopped by the house since I live roughly 40 miles from him). As I always tell the kids, asking is free

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.