1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Has anyone switched from wood to coal ?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Chrism, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Chrism

Chrism Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Im thinking about it but dont know enough about coal . I have an isle royale an love the stove but splitting wood takes away from fishing time !!! Pros and cons of coal ??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ewdudley

ewdudley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cayuga County NY
    Pros:

Thermostat!
    Two days worth of fuel, one bag in one hand, one bag in the other, just grab 'em by the ears and away you go.
    Easy to store.
    Inexpensive, compares well even with 'free' wood unless you've got a good crop of kids willing to earn their keep.
    Much safer compared to felling trees, running chainsaws, and swinging mauls.

Cons:

Ash, lots of it.
    In my case stove was much louder than I would like.
  3. Chrism

Chrism Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    One pro is that I live in pa a 20 min drive my mason dump is filled.
  4. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    If your in PA and close to a supply coal is easier and cheaper, I know my cousin had one and didn't like the soot but it may have been the stove as it was a long time ago (80's).
  5. ewdudley

ewdudley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cayuga County NY
    Just check out nepacrossroads.com, you can probably find a few locals that would show you their setups.
  6. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    My father in law still burns coal in an old VC from 1978. In the shoulder season he burns wood, and in the dead of winter he burns coal. Much steadier heat and less maintenance than my wood burning set up. I love burning wood, though. I'm a pyro. However if I had to switch, I would switch to a coal stove over a pellet stove. I've had good experiences at nepacrossroads.com forum. Another very helpful group.
  7. Chrism

Chrism Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Is venting the same I have selkirk chimney pipe and smoke pipe . Do I just buy a coal stove and connect it to the existing set up I have my isle royale hooked up to ?
  8. Chrism

Chrism Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Also I see conversion kits to change a stove to wood / coal wonder if I can do that to my isle royale ??
  9. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    I am not an expert, but you have a premium product in the Isle Royale. I think best bet is selling the IR, and buy a coal stove. I'd hate to see it compromised if the conversion kit is unsuccessful. Again, that is not an expert opinion, just my two cents.