Hearthstone 1 Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

argali66

Aug 10, 2012
Orland, Maine
Hi Guys!

So, I finally got my stove installed and all set. Thought I would share with everybody what I did.

We had an old Arrow Stove that came with our house when we bought it. Last year we used it and it did well but the upstairs did get a little cold at times. When I inspected at the end of Summer, I noticed it needed a few things repaired and decided I could probably do better on the stove end of things. So the search began. I looked into many stoves, but I finally found an old Hearthstone 1 that was in really good condition about an hour away from where I live. The stove was in an office building and hadn't been used for 10+ years. The owner had bought the building and immediately installed an oil burner. He used the stove as a Stand for a Printer! He was only asking $600, I bought for $500 and sold the old stove for $350. So far so good. Only $150 plus a $20 U-Haul Trailer to get it home.

Our interior Chimney looked bad. Stuff had dripped down the side and in general it just didn't look nice.
I wound up painting the Chimney with a High Heat Hammered Bronze paint. I pulled the Old Thimble out and started from Scratch. I found a company here in Maine that makes Custom Stove Pipe called Thomson and Anderson. They were the Stove Pipe Supplier for Jotul Stoves for when they first came to the US and they made a Way More Sturdy Old School Style of Stove Pipe that is very high Quality. There website is here: http://www.intergate.com/~thmpandr/index.html. They Make Really cool elbows that are not rounded, and they do custom work. I wanted my stove to be able to sit back as close to the chimney as possible and not be out in the middle of the living room floor. They custom made a stove outlet Oval to Round Piece (Drum Elbow). It allowed the Stove to sit back further and lets the stove pipe go straight up instead of out of a normal 90 Degree Elbow.

Next was getting a New Hearth Set-Up. Looked around and finally decided on a Granite Slab. Got an awesome deal on the slab, $250 Out the door.

Needed a New Secondary Pipe and Gasket Kit. Ordered them from Jim at Evergreen Hearth and Home in Ellsworth, ME. Jim was very nice and super helpful as he knew the Old Hearthstone 1, 2 and 3 Stoves from being in the business a long time. Very cool guy and is a Hearth.com member.

I took the Stove Doors off and cleaned and re-gasketed the glass and the doors. Painted the front screens with high heat black. Installed the new secondary tube with hearthstone soapstone furnace cement.

After Cleaning out the stove with a compressor and shop vac we were ready to do the 1st burn. Man, that stove retains Heat for a LONG Time. I woke up the Next Morning and the Stove was still hot to the touch after burning all night. It puts out a smooth warm radiant heat that put all of us in the house to sleep.

I really like the way the fire looks from the front. The glass they put in is frosted kind of and it makes the stove look spooky as the fire dances around.

So, here are a few pix of what it looks like installed. Thanks for the help on here guys!

2q8wso1.jpg

28ahjlz.jpg

1zp74bc.jpg

Reactions: Billybonfire
Random thoughts . . .

As you no doubt discovered in your search for a stove there are a lot of folks out there that think their 55 gallon drum stove or rusting and cracked metal antique is worth a lot more than they really are . . . looks like you got a fair deal.

I know Jim from Evergreen . . . top notch guy . . . didn't realize he was a member here . . . I do know he has helped us out many a time with our open house as he sometimes works at the store in Brewer as well as Ellsworth . . . or at least he used to.

One question . . . and I'm only asking . . . not stirring up any trouble . . . does this stove only require ember protection . . . or is there a specific R value requirement for the hearth . . . and is this wide enough to meet the clearance requirements . . . maybe the photo is deceptive, but it appears as though the hearth doesn't extend very far in front of the opening.

One thing I like a lot is that the granite slab seems to match the soapstone in the stove quite well.

Congrats.

Hey Jake!

Yeah, Jim is a really good guy. The Stove and the granite slab is on a concrete slab that we are dying with a stain. It sticks out 9-10 Inches in the front.
If we weren't on a slab I would have gotten the granite a bit bigger. I bought that as a remnant from the Granite place in Brewer near where you live...It's 40x40....It is mostly to raise the stove up higher and for looks...

One question . . . and I'm only asking . . . not stirring up any trouble . . . does this stove only require ember protection . . . or is there a specific R value requirement for the hearth . . . and is this wide enough to meet the clearance requirements . . . maybe the photo is deceptive, but it appears as though the hearth doesn't extend very far in front of the opening.

Looks to me like the room has a cement floor, which is a non-combustible and wouldn't even need a hearth pad.

Congrats! I like the look of your new stove!

Hey Jake!

Yeah, Jim is a really good guy. The Stove and the granite slab is on a concrete slab that we are dying with a stain. It sticks out 9-10 Inches in the front.
If we weren't on a slab I would have gotten the granite a bit bigger. I bought that as a remnant from the Granite place in Brewer near where you live...It's 40x40....It is mostly to raise the stove up higher and for looks...

Ah, in a couple of pics I thought it might be on a concrete slab . . . but in the first pic I wasn't so sure . . . yeah . . . definitely no worries there . . . and as I said . . . the slab goes very well with the stone in the stove.

How big is that fire box in the Hearthstone I? Is it a cat stove?

4.5 Cubic Feet is the Firebox size and no cat. It burns for between 12-18 Hours depending on how much wood you load up in it. The Soapstone stays between hot to warm for a long time even after the fire is out. I have never owned a soapstone stove before. I really like it. It produces an almost sedative like radiating heat that makes you feel warm and comfortable, but burned out of the house hot. Even though it is very warm (hot) in your house. So far, so good.

The main thing I like is I spent:

$150 Hearthstone Stove big as a $4,000 Equinox (Paid $500 and sold old stove for $350)
$200 Custom Made Heavy Gauge All new Stove Pipe and Thimble
$250 Granite Hearth (It was a Remnant)
$50 High Heat Bronze Hand Hammered Paint for the Chimney Masonry Blocks
$150 Hearthstone Secondary Tube and Gasket Kit
$ 15 Rutland Chimney Sweep Furnace Cement
$ 20 U-Haul Rental 5x8 Trailer to bring the stove home.

$835.00 Total

It would have cost way more any other way I would have done it replacing the old stove. Good luck came my way on this one, making up for all the other stuff that sometimes I get burned on...

Nice looking big ol rock, love the granite.

What are the two left side handles for? Must be a side loader.

I had no idea the Hearthstone 1 was that huge. Wow. The burn times are pretty good for such an old stove.

"What are the two left side handles for? Must be a side loader."

It is a Side Loader

I had no idea the Hearthstone 1 was that huge. Wow. The burn times are pretty good for such an old stove.

My brother bought 2 or 3 of these when he lived in Pennsylvania. He has a couple as spares and only uses one. They were all had for under $1,000. He told me the firebox compared to the Equinox. The only thing I don't know is how clean do they burn? This is a 30 year old model now. But, as the OP pointed out, an Equinox is expensive. These are more reasonable given the age. A very heavy stove from what my brother told me. 600 or 700 pound rock

I think these should be included in the World's Strongest Man contest. They have to lift one of these off a truck and carry it into a person's house and set it successfully on the hearth pad.:p

I have a close friend and neighbor that has one. We don't ever want to think of moving it. Just replaced the secondary pipe last year and it is burning much better now.

Secondary pipe? What is that?

My brother bought 2 or 3 of these when he lived in Pennsylvania. He has a couple as spares and only uses one. They were all had for under $1,000. He told me the firebox compared to the Equinox. The only thing I don't know is how clean do they burn? This is a 30 year old model now. But, as the OP pointed out, an Equinox is expensive. These are more reasonable given the age. A very heavy stove from what my brother told me. 600 or 700 pound rock

Yeah, they way 738 Pounds...Ouch!!!

Reactions: firecracker_77
I think these should be included in the World's Strongest Man contest. They have to lift one of these off a truck and carry it into a person's house and set it successfully on the hearth pad.:p

Yeah, it wasn't easy. I was worried we would get killed driving home with it in the Trailer if the straps broke.

Secondary pipe? What is that?

It has a crude secondary system with the holed drilled pipe (that's all it is) located relatively low in the firebox. There is no manifold, just the pipe traversing the firebox. The pipe has a little flapper port cover on the outside of the stove, similar to the old VC secondary port cover. The old pipe on my friend's stove was totally blown open. He replaced it with a length of 1/2" black iron pipe, drilled out to match the old hole size and spacing.

It's not the cleanest or most efficient system, but it does sort of work.

Nice stove there 66, that thing has a look to it that just said I,m big, bad & old but I still get hot ! I like it. If a fella could catize that rock it might push that 50 hr burn :)

Status
Not open for further replies.