Hearthstone Mansfield Installed (Burning Pics updated)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi just a question on the ash pan ..how do you slide the grate open to get the ashes in to the ashpan ...there are never any in there ??? it says in the manual to slide the grate to open it so it lines up ,,,not making much sense to me ...thanks

Hi
We just bought a mansfield and we are finding we have to get something with more R value as the bottom is so hot .....is anyone else finding that ..I just read one post saying it doesn't get to hot under there stove which is totally not what is happening ...Ours is terribly hot ...and I mean terribly and we are very concerned ..Its looks as though you have enough protection with your hearth pad that you have but ours is flush with the floor and have the proper non combustible floor requirements and the sides as well heat the floor up so badly ,we have fan blowing as to cool it down a bit and looking at yours I am wondering if you are finding the same ...

.We have heat shield as well but still wall get terribly hot ,but mostly under on and on the sides
I have posted as well under the stove in the crawl space the plywood is really getting hot there too???
please if anyone has this issue I would be very grateful to know ..
so far I have not been pleased and it is a nice stove ...but am looking for others answers in case there is something wrong with this stove ???I would not know thanks so much
I will try and load a picture as well

zooter said:
Hi
We just bought a mansfield and we are finding we have to get something with more R value as the bottom is so hot .....is anyone else finding that ..I just read one post saying it doesn't get to hot under there stove which is totally not what is happening ...Ours is terribly hot ...and I mean terribly and we are very concerned ..Its looks as though you have enough protection with your hearth pad that you have but ours is flush with the floor and have the proper non combustible floor requirements and the sides as well heat the floor up so badly ,we have fan blowing as to cool it down a bit and looking at yours I am wondering if you are finding the same ...

.We have heat shield as well but still wall get terribly hot ,but mostly under on and on the sides
I have posted as well under the stove in the crawl space the plywood is really getting hot there too???
so far I have not been pleased and it is a nice stove ...but am looking for others answers in case there is something wrong with this stove ???I would not know thanks so much

What is 'terribly hot'? Are we talking 180°F? 120°F?

Ash pan design is pretty difficult to work with on these stoves. It's really just easier to shovel them out. Also, you should NEVER operate stove with ash pan open. This lets in too much air and you can easy over fire your stove.

zooter said:
Hi

I have the mansfield with no under stove over heated issues, I think the ash pan is almost acting like a heat shield, and the air space as an insulator.

shawneyboy said:
zooter said:
Hi

I have the mansfield with no under stove over heated issues, I think the ash pan is almost acting like a heat shield, and the air space as an insulator.

So is this meaning there is something wrong with our stove???I have had the guy out from the place we bought and he knows it gets really hot and by really hot I mean we have had up to 160 -180 just under it and around it ?????I"m not sure if its our stove or if its supposed to be like this ???
thanks Zooter
oh and have have thermometer readings under floor in crawlspace as high as 150 F........something not right ????

Sorry to be such a pain but as well I just stoked it up which we have not been doing fully because of this issue ..pu tin 2-3 splits of larch which does not burn to hot normally compared to the other woods ...but the top of stove reads 275 and under it reads almost 160-170 f...????so what will it read when we really have to stoke it up is my concern ....if you are not getting this as well as others ..makes us wonder ..

Nice install and fire.

BrowningBAR said:
zooter said:
Hi

What is 'terribly hot'? Are we talking 180°F? 120°F?

We had the Ir gun after 3 hours of burning was over 195F and going up....on the tile just under stove and around the stove ,,,168f under the plywood in crawlspace...So we are getting rid of the stove if we are burning constant only will get hotter ....very disappointed in this stove and the requirements I believe there is a problem with the stove itself and hope that the dealer will see this and send it back to Hearthstone to have it looked after ...Its to bad ,we were really looking forward to having this type of stove ,just does not seem to be the one ..we had a pacific energy prior to the fire and was a very good stove . ...Chimney man thinks we have lost it but..I wont' put ourselves in line of potential hazards ..not worth it..if not many others are not having issues like this .

Status
Not open for further replies.