Here we go again !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the Isle Royale a lot. But my recommendation was to get the simplest stove, so I didn't mention it. But if you decide you like this stove, and you have a good Quad dealer locally, I sure won't question that choice. And they have a $300 off offer until the end of Feb..

I was thinking Isle Royale as well. But don't Quad and Harman have the same parent company, Hearth & Home Technologies? If so, Pete might want to know that before he throws his business to Quadrafire.

I believe Harman started experiencing financial trouble, to go along with increasingly poor customer service, when they grew too fast a few years back. The takeover by the bigger firm was supposed to fix that, but guess not. Maybe Hearth & Home is unaware of how poorly people still think of Harman customer relations.

Pete, if you don't get any satisfaction fron your dealer or from Harman, maybe there is an avenue to pursue with the parent company to let them know your experience.

Last I checked, you can still contact Quad's Coleville, WA tech support and get an answer. The parents may be the same, but the children have their own policies.

BeGreen said:
The parents may be the same, but the children have their own policies.

I hold the parents accountable. If a delinquent damages my property and the parents don't respond, I'm sure not going to hire their other son to fix the mess, even if he IS a good kid!

That's like saying I don't like Buicks because the local Chevy dealer sucks.

Pete, wish We was closer, I am in South Central Ks, I have a Federal Airtight Dutchwest, 3yr old Cat Stove, Barely Used By Little Old Lady:) Will have for Sale soon as Cleaned Up n Fresh coat of Paint with Brass Handles , for $1000.00 it has the double doors on the front with glass and of course 500lbs:) The tag on back is missing but the Son had stored in his barn for a while and got knocked off, would like to find where to get tag replaced if anybody knows? Thanks

BeGreen said:
That's like saying I don't like Buicks because the local Chevy dealer sucks.

Not that I don't LIKE them, just that I might consider they don't deserve my business as much as someone else does (like Woodstock). I looked at an Isle Royale, really liked it. But the connection got me searching, and this anecdote made me think that choosing a great dealer would be just as important with Quad as with Harman:

"Stay away from Quadafire brand - poor customer service once you buy the unit. The company basically refers you back to the dealer. " https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/76343/P22/

I think you are going to get at least some comments to this effect with all brands. Just more reason to find a dealer you can trust.

At this point I can't stand Harman as a company branchburner however I think that I have to agree with BeGreen that they are run separately and might be ok. That said I still don't want to take the chance and find out. Out of curiosity what is the Quad4 burn supposed to be is it the same as overhead dome? Yaker that would be cool but alas I live a long way and a lot of gas away and I really want a good dealer to assist in this venture so we never have this he!! to go through again.

Thanks Guys
Pete

Pete, Understand the distance :) Dont know can even trust dealers, I traveled 6hrs there and back and got home with Oslo 500, unloaded and found it was an 06 stove!!! Paid 2011 price for it an didn't even have the decency to acknowledge he knew !! Talkin about Burn Your Trust!! He knew to Bless Me with it as to far take it back:) Long story short, look on the back tag for the year it was built, ask that question:) I am so disappointed it the Oslo, wanting to Luv it but even with super dry hedge wood on top coals, took dog box apart cleaned area so its open, has 3 holes, and still does not get enough air to lite off super dry wood, have to open side door to create heat and now really thinking to add dampner because takes forever to get the heat, cant get above 450 or so!! Was told dampner not needed but some guys using , so hopefully will capture the heat i loosing while waiting for it to heat up!! Sorry , didnt meant Hijack Your Thread, just check the dates on stoves:)

yaker, if there's an issue, post it in a separate thread so we can see what's up.

Thanks, Thot was on track with His Thread as Trusting Dealers is Issue for Us All, and My Mistake Not become His, as didnt know to Check the Dates on Stove :) Have a Wonderful Day as Ks has 63 degress for high here:)

in these situations I always ask "WWBBD"? (What would Brother Bart do?)

I see a 30NC in your future. It will stand toe2toe with any Harman wood stove and save you a lot of $$

Honestly if I was buying a stove just based on the customer service it would come down to Woodstock and Englander -- of course it helps that they don't have a middle man and if you have a problem you're talking directly to the source . . . and as such their reputation for excellent customer service is very important for them.

That said . . . find a decent dealer . . . and a stove manufacturer . . . both with good and long reputations . . . and I think you will be happy with whatever brand you go with.

Yeah I am with Jake. Were it me I would be looking to Woodstock or ESW. I just don't want a dealer in the mix. If the manufacturer isn't going to pay the dealer for warranty work then I will save him the grief and just not buy a stove from him. Keeps both of our lives simple. I have a great local dealer and tried to buy the 30 through him but he had a burr under his saddle blanket because ESW was selling through box stores.

I have said it here before but I guess not often enough, the time to get who takes care of what done is before you hand them the money.

BB What Kind of burn times do you see on your 30? I am searching the site and devouring all but am still curious about yours.

Thanks
Pete

I'll play the other side of the coin in that my dealer experience couldn't be better. I too tried to buy locally and was told I was nuts to want a T6. Instead I had to drive 90 miles north to get the stove, but have not regretted it for a moment. Their policy is simple, satisfaction guaranteed or they take the stove back.

Pete1983 said:
BB What Kind of burn times do you see on your 30? I am searching the site and devouring all but am still curious about yours.

Thanks
Pete

10 hours with a 300 stove top happens all the time. I loaded E/W last night at nine thirty and could have restarted from plenty of coals this morning at nine but I let it go cold and will keep it down for the next two or three days.

My T6 has been great. It replaced a Fireview due to my needs, not any fault of the stove. I have to say that I have nothing but positives to say about Woodstock customer service. Poor service really gets me cranky and I would recommend Woodstock to anyone. That should say something.

I agree with BB on his assessment. However I doubt there is anyway to beat the customer service of Vermont Elm. I can text or email him from my BlackBerry and get near instant response even on weekends. Same with phones calls. How many of you guys have your stove mfg cell number and they pick up whenever you call?
I've been on the road mostly for 6 weeks now. Wife is in charge of the stove. She works a full time job and has to run with the kids at night. Stove get 2 loads a day and she hasn't had to restart yet. What more can you ask for?

I have been hearing a ton of good on the T-6 from people what is there service like? I am calling every company to see how they are on the phone and if I like there pitch about the stove so I will be calling pacific energy soon.

Thanks Guys there is a wealth of knowledge here and it is so nice to be able to search/ask and be answered its like a stress relieving pill :)

Pete

Get the Woodstock if that is what you want. You have already proven that a local dealer is not everything it is cracked up to be. Woodstock owners here seem to be very satisfied with their stoves, and their return policy not only sounds great, but I believe a few members here have utilized it and been satisfied with that also.

daleeper said:
Get the Woodstock if that is what you want. You have already proven that a local dealer is not everything it is cracked up to be. Woodstock owners here seem to be very satisfied with their stoves, and their return policy not only sounds great, but I believe a few members here have utilized it and been satisfied with that also.

At this point I am very cautious after this go around and want to be sure we get what we want with the customer service to back it. This is a stupid situation to be in so I am looking at everything just to be sure we went down the we hate our stove route before and I don't want a good dealer just to hate the stove again lol. This time its we hate our dealer and like our stove that we can't get serviced! How stupid this all is!

Pete

Pete, is there any place where you can get a full money back guarantee? Maybe pay for the stove and use it a few months and then decide you want a bigger or smaller stove so return it for a full refund?

If you really have no idea of what stove is best for you,
shop for the dealer first.

Like, what good does it do you to get hot about and buy
a stove piped up by an unknown person here in this forum
when the stove may not be supported in your area?

Otherwise, it's the cart before the horse.

Aye,
Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.