How to remove the damper from a VC Vigilant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mnelson9876

Oct 11, 2008
NE Mass
I have a 25-year old VC Vigilant wood stove. I need to clean out the back of the stove. How do I remove the damper
so I can access the top of the back? There does not seem to be anything I can move or remove to get it out.

Thanks. Mike

Hello,
I Hope this post helps you.
I just cleaned my Vigilant stove from the top of flue down. To get to the secondary combustion chamber(behind the fire-back or "1977" engraving) you must remove the flue collar[on the back of the stove(two phillips screws)]. Once that is removed, look inside and you will see the back of the damper. There is a plate(or shelf) that you need to slide to the left(that's left if you are standing behind the stove). Slide this plate to the left and it will unlock. You can then remove it from the flue opening and reach inside to remove all the creosote build-up in the air passages. I used a wire brush and an old shop-vac. It's just like new when it was purchased back in the early 80's. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks. I am having a difficult time getting the screws out, but that was the approach I was attempting. I assume that with use of the stove they have managed to fit themselves in so they are hard to get out. I have a strong aversion to snapping the head off screws and bolts.

I got the stove cleaned out enough to try out and will try again with the collar.
Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.