I maybe hard headed but

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xbunzx

Feb 25, 2010
Forreston IL
I've got a fisher insert in my fire place and have been wanting to change it out for a stand alone. So I go and look at local dealers and find one who sells Dutchwest. OK I can see some of your faces already, I have read about all I could on here, reviews, anywhere I could. So I go back to the dealer and talk to them about every one of the problems that some people have had. Well they have one that heats the building, that makes them money, that keeps them going. They said they never have had any of the problems or have had anyone come in who has bout one from them with any of the problem. And after talking and talking and talking I forked out the money and got it. Still not sure 100%, I read the manual cover to cover and I don't know if this is a new manual or not but every problem people have had is talked about in the manual.
The stove take heat to work. The dealer said everyone in the store follows the temp and not the flame. In the manual it explains how chimneys work and how they don't and a lot of the problems I've read know sound like chimney problems. I'm not saying everyone is not wrong, but burn wood is an ART not a Science and they changed the ART so you have to be an ARTISAN. Wish me luck I'm in with both feet.

burnz,

Gotta love diving in to the deep end. As long as you are happy that is all that matters. Everyone can tell you whatever they want but every stoves performance can/is different due to a miriad of things from climate to chimney length to wood. I am sure with the people on this board as/if you have any issues you will find some solutions from the great group here.

Make sure you have well seasoned wood and enjoy the learning curve and the heat.

Shawn

So long as you have good wood, most stoves will operate as they are intended. But the wood is the real key. If you buy wood now or cut wood now, you very likely will have problems with the stove. If you have good dry wood, the stove should perform well.

Have I mentioned that you need good dry wood? That is the key........

BS are saying he should get good wood? Is that what you mean? I don't EVER think I heard you say that b4 ;)!!!

The key is always good, seasond, really, truely seasoned wood.

Oh and burnz, I would bet that 90% of peoples problems is becasue of the wood not being properly seasoned.

Shawn

P.S. If you're buying wood, it should not only be properly seasoned, but also make sure it was split vertically!

Backwoods Savage said:
So long as you have good wood, most stoves will operate as they are intended. But the wood is the real key. If you buy wood now or cut wood now, you very likely will have problems with the stove. If you have good dry wood, the stove should perform well.

Have I mentioned that you need good dry wood? That is the key........

Could you repeat that middle part again? I think I saw you write something about dry wood, but i am not certain :)

:lol:

I should have mentioned that dry wood is necessary.

xbunzx, I do hope you forgive us getting off track a bit. The guys just know that I will be recommending dry wood as that is something that I really believe in seriously. The crack about splitting vertically has to do with how I pick at the guys who buy a wood splitter and don't stand them up but continue to lift every piece up onto that splitter while I stand the splitter up and don't have to lift every piece. I split wood the way it was meant to be split. lol However, there are also some who spend extra dollars to put a hydraulic lift to lift those logs so along with a table, they have the added cost of the lift.

Now let's let this tread take the route the OP intended. ;-)

Well guys I've been at this for around 16 years, the wood I'm going to be burning this year is 2 years seasoned and before that it was standing end no bark. But it is good to know you have to have seasoned wood.

Have fun playing with the new stove. I've used several fisher's, fisher wannabes, old convection stoves, and now my nc-30. All I can say is that no 2 stove setups behave exactly the same. While science necessitates good fuel and good draft, the rest truly comes from being that artisan you mention.

pen

Agreed--it's never just the stove. It is part of a system that includes chimney, thermal mass, house layout, house siting, obstructions to air flow around house, circulation within house, and that stuff you throw into the stove to burn, the whatsit. You're spot on with the term artisan, because these are people who have to know all the aspects of their craft in order to turn out a superior product. You did your homework, and some extra-credit work, too. Not only that, but you bought from a dealer who sounds like they stand behind their product. If you do find out that you hate it, I bet they'll work with you. From the sound of it, you're going to do just fine.

Which Dutchwest stove? Cat or non-cat?

Do yourself a big favor and avoid the non-cat Dutchwest stoves. If it were a cat model Dutchwest, I'd say you are on the right track.

Good luck,
Bill

Have to agree with that. From reports we get here, the cat models seem to stand up a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.